Jadon Sancho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not one player from the fabled La Masia, in the current squad, is under the age of 23 and that's Denis Suarez. They had a very unusual set of circumstances with Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and the like, a bit like the rags in the 90's. Everyone keeps talking about it because it happens so rarely.
Like you, I would like nothing better than seeing a few of the academy players integrated into the squad but, first and foremost, we've got to be challenging every season. Once that is happening the pressure to keep buying 'off the peg' should hopefully, be reduced.

You completely misunderstand why Barcelona's youth policy is successful. It's not successful because they had Messi or Xavi or Iniesta in the academy.

It's successful because Montoya, Cuenca, Tello, Dos Santos, Bartra, Munir & Sandro got 391 appearances between them before being moved on, because Sergi Samper, Rafinha, Suarez and Roberto have 279 appearances between them. That's 670 appearances for players who are well below world class since ~2010.

That's why they produce Xavi, Iniesta, Buesquets, Pedro etc. - because they give the players chances, and some take off. Some just become decent squad players, some just take a few dozen appearances and aren't good enough, but they give 2 or 3 players a year the chance.

Those legendary players didn't go into the team and immediately boost it, they weren't thrown in under sterile risk free conditions, they weren't given chances when the pressure of winning was off.

If you say you want youth to come through when the pressure is off, what you're actually saying is you don't want youth to come through, because everyone knows the pressure is never off. Winning the league won't decrease any pressure on Pep or the upper management, in fact the pressure will only go up, because you're expected to win as champions.

Messi played double figures at 18.

I recon Fabien Delph has played more mins in the Prem than our entire academy put together, since Mancini arrved.

Am I wrong ?
Again, our manager since last season is Pep. A manager that's known to bring up youth. Am I wrong? Why judge the club for its past manager like the current manager don't matter even one bit?

But maybe he thinks he has a better chance elsewhere.

If we rebuild our reputation for using young players, under Pep, then players like Sancho won't even consider leaving. All it needs is a few to get on late in games, here & there & it's solved.

And chances are one of the kids will crack it.

We seem to be going round in circles. As i said in last post, if he has any ambition, Jason needs to give Pep a chance. He can afford to wait a year before turning his back on us. However, I'll let you have the last word so over and out....

You completely misunderstand why Barcelona's youth policy is successful. It's not successful because they had Messi or Xavi or Iniesta in the academy.

It's successful because Montoya, Cuenca, Tello, Dos Santos, Bartra, Munir & Sandro got 391 appearances between them before being moved on, because Sergi Samper, Rafinha, Suarez and Roberto have 279 appearances between them. That's 670 appearances for players who are well below world class since ~2010.

That's why they produce Xavi, Iniesta, Buesquets, Pedro etc. - because they give the players chances, and some take off. Some just become decent squad players, some just take a few dozen appearances and aren't good enough, but they give 2 or 3 players a year the chance.

Those legendary players didn't go into the team and immediately boost it, they weren't thrown in under sterile risk free conditions, they weren't given chances when the pressure of winning was off.

If you say you want youth to come through when the pressure is off, what you're actually saying is you don't want youth to come through, because everyone knows the pressure is never off. Winning the league won't decrease any pressure on Pep or the upper management, in fact the pressure will only go up, because you're expected to win as champions.
You mention all those players with their number of appearances which is laudable, but they will include many cameo appearances when 4,5,6 and even 7 goals in front. Sadly, this is not a position we find ourselves in too often. We have never been in a position to ease off towards the end of the season or regularly average over 3 goals a game. Part of Guardiola's frustration with us not finishing off games might well be a causal factor in the young lads not getting opportunities. Put that right and everything will flow from that, I would hope.

We might do, but our record since Mancini, with some of the best young talent around, has been shocking & we are now being targeted as a possible source of players for other clubs.

It needs to change.

Do you go all our youth games you seemed to know a lot about them?

Again, our manager since last season is Pep. A manager that's known to bring up youth. Am I wrong? Why judge the club for its past manager like the current manager don't matter even one bit?

Already said. Not judging him on anything.

But it's not my career on the line. If I'm 17 & he's linked with signing two more forwards on top of what we have, at a club with a previously appalling record of not even using kids off the bench, after a season of very few kids being used off the bench, I'm very tempted to fuck off.

I don't understand why this concept is even under discussion tbh, it's obvious it will be a consideration for anyone in their right mind.

If Pep actually starts using kids, then the same decision next year might be less awkward.

But until it happens, it would be absolutely mental not to be concerned about it.

You mention all those players with their number of appearances which is laudable, but they will include many cameo appearances when 4,5,6 and even 7 goals in front. Sadly, this is not a position we find ourselves in too often. We have never been in a position to ease off towards the end of the season or regularly average over 3 goals a game. Part of Guardiola's frustration with us not finishing off games might well be a causal factor in the young lads not getting opportunities. Put that right and everything will flow from that, I would hope.

The idea that they only make cameos when 5,6,7 goals ahead is complete bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.