James McAtee

Pep sees James day in and day out, training with the first team. He has also spoken, repeatedly, about the gap between U23 football and the PL so it should be no surprise that it takes time for some players to emerge. It is clear that Palmer is ahead of James and I can only guess that is because he is more effective in the training sessions than James is - perhaps it is physicality or, perhaps, he is simply a better technical player at this stage in their development. The juxtaposition is that huge talents often lack the patience to wait for their opportunities because they believe they are ready and there is always another club or agent making promises. Personally, I would love Palmer, McAtee, Lavia and others to be given more and more play time because I am a long standing, local fan and little, for me, is as exciting as academy talent breaking through. Hopefully, James will choose to stay and we will soon begin to see him pick up regular playing time in our first team.
My impression is that under Pep, decision making is crucial in whether young players get the chance to make the step up or not.

A few clubs apparently circling around him. He won't move to a better club in England than us right now so it boils down to whether he has patience/belief in himself to make it with us (see Foden/Palmer) or if he'd rather move and get instant game time.

Hopefully the former but if he chooses game time, good luck to him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.