James McAtee

Perhaps, just perhaps, he wanted to play 38 games against top class Premier League teams? You lot do not have a clue. Non of you know anything about managing players and yet you want to manage one of our top players.
If he was one of our top players as you put it, he would be playing on a regular basis for us, but couldn`t be arsed working his way to the top like Foden and Lewis.

That's the challenge.

Getting a regular start as one of the better players at a shite club is too easy.

Improving and proving himself alongside good players at a better and more ambitious club...

That's what he should be doing, and that's why City (apparently) wanted him to go to Leicester.
A “shite club” that’s in the division above the “better club”.

I heard on a podcast that he’d agreed to go on season-long loan to Leicester but changed his mind at the last minute and went back to Sheffield. City were, supposedly, not very happy.

If this is true, I think it was the wrong decision. Leicester have a cracking style that would have allowed him to improve. Instead it’s backs-to-wall in a poor team.
Cracking style - in the championship.

He's sharing a dressing room with a bunch of players who know full well they're going down.

A club that (for whatever reason) failed to invest following promotion, effectively consigning themselves to relegation before they'd even kicked a ball this season.

If he did actually choose to play at Sheffield United rather than Leicester City this season, I can only conclude that he was dropped on his head as a child.

He'll learn nothing in a losing team at Sheffield.
He’s sharing a Premier League dressing room. Something he’d find quite tricky at Leicester. Bet he misses showing his talent against Rotherham.

He’s sharing a Premier League dressing room. Something he’d find quite tricky at Leicester. Bet he misses showing his talent against Rotherham.
Yeah, despite Sheffield United being destined for relegation, I'd rather him be taking his lumps in the Premier League than beating up on minnows in the Championship.

A “shite club” that’s in the division above the “better club”.

As I see it, by failing to invest in the summer window, the Sheffield United ownership as good as accepted that they'll only spend one season in the PL. The club lacks ambition, and that has been evident since the first day of this season.

Leicester, on the other hand, have ambition and are looking to (and hopefully will imo)bounce straight back into the PL.

Of the two, Leicester demonstrate the more positive attitude and as such, provides a more positive environment for learning/development.
Sheffield United will be a miserable environment the longer the season goes on.

City wanted McAtee to go to Leicester. McAtee chose to go to Sheffield...

There will be good reasons for both choices, but ultimately, the chances are that all he will learn at Sheffield this season is how to cope with failure.

IMO, he should have gone to Leicester, or stayed at City.

Evening, Sheffield United season ticket holder here who's made it to ten or so City games a season for years.

Last year, McAtee genuinely struggled at first. He was very lightweight, lost the ball repeatedly because of that and defensively was a liability. He got stronger, learnt and adapted and by the end of the season was our best player, genuine class.

We went up £100m in debt....if we hadn't gone up, we'd be bottom of the Championship playing our kids and in administration. So no, we weren't ever going to be able to invest having somehow found the only Saudi Prince who's skint.

We lost our best players (Ndiaye and Berge) just before the season kicked off, reinvested a bit and yes, McAtee wanted to come back.

I totally understand you thinking we're wank (we do too, mainly because we are) but surely having been promoted with us last season, he'd have nowt to gain by doing the same again? He's toughening up and learning by the game, and having responsibility put on him to be a leader and best player in a side in the Premier League....and seeing plenty of the ball (when we get the f***er!!).

It can only benefit City, he's playing against the best, growing up and toughening up- he'll be ready for you next season.

Evening, Sheffield United season ticket holder here who's made it to ten or so City games a season for years.

Last year, McAtee genuinely struggled at first. He was very lightweight, lost the ball repeatedly because of that and defensively was a liability. He got stronger, learnt and adapted and by the end of the season was our best player, genuine class.

We went up £100m in debt....if we hadn't gone up, we'd be bottom of the Championship playing our kids and in administration. So no, we weren't ever going to be able to invest having somehow found the only Saudi Prince who's skint.

We lost our best players (Ndiaye and Berge) just before the season kicked off, reinvested a bit and yes, McAtee wanted to come back.

I totally understand you thinking we're wank (we do too, mainly because we are) but surely having been promoted with us last season, he'd have nowt to gain by doing the same again? He's toughening up and learning by the game, and having responsibility put on him to be a leader and best player in a side in the Premier League....and seeing plenty of the ball (when we get the f***er!!).

It can only benefit City, he's playing against the best, growing up and toughening up- he'll be ready for you next season.
Thanks for the insight. It's exactly how I see it as well. It's hard to overstate just how big the jump is between the Championship and the Premier League.

Best of luck going forward.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.