James Milner

He absolutely has to start against United. They might be shit this season but you just know they're going to run their arses off against us and his constant energy will help to nullify that, giving our creatives a bit more freedom to play the way they want to.

KippaxCitizen said:
He was my MOTM yesterday. I bloody love James Milner!

yep love Jimmy.. dark horse of the squad..

-- Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 pm --

Shaelumstash said:
sh249 said:
I like Milner, think he's a good player and have got a lot of admiration for his attitude and workrate. And I'd be disappointed to see him leave. But I don't think it's too difficult to see why he hasn't had more starts - Yaya and Fernandinho will always start in the centre of midfield, and Milner isn't really good enough to play in there in a two. Then he's competing with Silva, Nasri and Navas for one of the wider/more advanced midfield positions, and the first two are clearly ahead of him. Add in the fact that Pellegrini likes to play with two up top, and it's difficult for him to get decent game time. Shame for him, perhaps, but not too surprising.

Totally agree with this. He's a great character to have at the club as a squad player, and I hope he stays at the club for many years in that capacity.

However, I think he's the most overrated City player of the modern era.

If we put Milner up for sale, which clubs do you think would be interested in buying him? Bayern? Barca? Chelsea? Personally, I don't think so. In fact, he wouldn't start for any of the top 6 or 8 teams in the PL. He'd end up signing for someone like Newcastle, Stoke or West Ham.

The same couldn't be said of Yaya, Silva, Nasri and Fernandinho. All the tops clubs in Europe would be lining up if they became available.

Of course hes not in the same mould as those you mentioned.. not many are.

Name me one prem player who isnt first choice whos better than Milner at what he does.??

I wont hold my breath.

samharris said:
KippaxCitizen said:

Shaelumstash said:
sh249 said:
I like Milner, think he's a good player and have got a lot of admiration for his attitude and workrate. And I'd be disappointed to see him leave. But I don't think it's too difficult to see why he hasn't had more starts - Yaya and Fernandinho will always start in the centre of midfield, and Milner isn't really good enough to play in there in a two. Then he's competing with Silva, Nasri and Navas for one of the wider/more advanced midfield positions, and the first two are clearly ahead of him. Add in the fact that Pellegrini likes to play with two up top, and it's difficult for him to get decent game time. Shame for him, perhaps, but not too surprising.

Totally agree with this. He's a great character to have at the club as a squad player, and I hope he stays at the club for many years in that capacity.

If we put Milner up for sale, which clubs do you think would be interested in buying him? Bayern? Barca? Chelsea? Personally, I don't think so. In fact, he wouldn't start for any of the top 6 or 8 teams in the PL. He'd end up signing for someone like Newcastle, Stoke or West Ham.

The same couldn't be said of Yaya, Silva, Nasri and Fernandinho. All the tops clubs in Europe would be lining up if they became available.

Name me one prem player who isnt first choice whos better than Milner at what he does.??

I wont hold my breath.

I'm not saying there are other squad men better than him. I think he's brilliant back up and great at what he does. But what I am saying is that he is back up to our better players, and to say he's better than any of them, or the likes of Thomas Muller, for me, is overrating him.

Shaelumstash said:
samharris said:
KippaxCitizen said:

Shaelumstash said:

I wont hold my breath.

I'm not saying there are other squad men better than him. I think he's brilliant back up and great at what he does. But what I am saying is that he is back up to our better players, and to say he's better than any of them, or the likes of Thomas Muller, for me, is overrating him.

But to suggest that only clubs like Stoke,Newcastle and west ham would be after him is madness..

samharris said:
Shaelumstash said:
samharris said:

I wont hold my breath.

But to suggest that only clubs like Stoke,Newcastle and west ham would be after him is madness..

Well if Tim Sherwood is still in charge at Spurs, they might go for him, but other than that, which top 6 teams could you see him at?

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, absolutely no chance. He's probably good enough to get in the Shite's midfield now, but I think they'll buy better quality than Milner in the summer.

Shaelumstash said:
samharris said:
Shaelumstash said:

Well if Tim Sherwood is still in charge at Spurs, they might go for him, but other than that, which top 6 teams could you see him at?

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, absolutely no chance. He's probably good enough to get in the Shite's midfield now, but I think they'll buy better quality than Milner in the summer.
As a squad player all top eight clubs..if hes good enough for us hes good enough for them...

samharris said:
Shaelumstash said:
samharris said:

As a squad player all top eight clubs..if hes good enough for us hes good enough for them...

Yes, that's what I'm saying, he's a squad player, and a great one at that. I'm saying the people calling for him to start every game and saying he's better than Thomas Muller overrate him.

He should be playing the same role as Henderson at Liverpool; central with the freedom to bomb forward, in a midfield 3 with Toure the most advanced and Fernandinho sitting.

It's naïve and moronic to suggest he'd find himself at Stoke should he leave us; Chelsea would love him, especially with Obi and Lampard set to go. A proper manager like Mourinho would love the chance to have him. Spurs, Liverpool and Everton would certainly take and utilise him properly.

His performance against Fulham was superb, as he has been on numerous occasions this season. I think we just have to accept that some people will never give Milner the credit he deserves; when he put in some very competent performances central earlier in the season, doing the exact same things Fernandinho does, passing the ball well, closing down, he was deemed not up to the job.

I'm not sure if many people on here actually watch games that don't involve City, but in the 2009-10 season when he played regularly in central midfield for Villa, he was as good as anyone else in the League. Like Fernandinho, but stronger, a better passing range and a bigger goal threat. Believe it or not, we didn't spend £26m on him because of his ability to put a shift in on the wing.... Fabio Capello even played him there in the 2010 World Cup.

It's alll at bit academic this, isn't it. But fwiw...

There's no way on planet earth Mourinho would be interested. No chance whatsoever. Likewise Wenger.

Brendan Rogers might have him, and Moyes would.

Note the difference. British managers used to lesser quality and valuing work rate and commitment. Vs European managers more used to skillful players. Milner is the former, is he not.

A... said:
He should be playing the same role as Henderson at Liverpool; central with the freedom to bomb forward, in a midfield 3 with Toure the most advanced and Fernandinho sitting.

It's naïve and moronic to suggest he'd find himself at Stoke should he leave us; Chelsea would love him, especially with Obi and Lampard set to go. A proper manager like Mourinho would love the chance to have him. Spurs, Liverpool and Everton would certainly take and utilise him properly.

His performance against Fulham was superb, as he has been on numerous occasions this season. I think we just have to accept that some people will never give Milner the credit he deserves; when he put in some very competent performances central earlier in the season, doing the exact same things Fernandinho does, passing the ball well, closing down, he was deemed not up to the job.

I'm not sure if many people on here actually watch games that don't involve City, but in the 2009-10 season when he played regularly in central midfield for Villa, he was as good as anyone else in the League. Like Fernandinho, but stronger, a better passing range and a bigger goal threat. Believe it or not, we didn't spend £26m on him because of his ability to put a shift in on the wing.... Fabio Capello even played him there in the 2010 World Cup.

Bang on the money. City vs villa at Etihad he gave the best display by an opposition player that season. Totally dominated the game from midfield. I for one was very pleased when we bought him. And do not want him to leave, he is a valuable member of the squad and losing him to any rival will weaken us and strengthen them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.