James Milner

It would be a bloody shame if Milner leaves because the club is too cheap to pay him when Yaya pulls down $300K a week and rarely earns it. He has been one of the best and most consistent players this season and has certainly earned more starting time than, say, Navas. He is very direct on the ball and doesn't dither around like Nasri who loses chances as his dithering allows the Defense to get back.

OB1 said:
de niro said:
RACHACE said:
I'm not interested in stats on ground coverage, I watch yaya toure live every other weekend and for me he'd not be a good option to lead the line. Just my opinion.

i think he would do a job tbh but i'm with you on the stats shit. they can fudge them all they like i prefer to see with my own eyes.

Ah the old I'll rely on my eyes cliche; especially popular when facts get in the way of people's opinions (even if you do seem to be agreeing with me on this).

It's utter bollocks that stats are not useful and anyone who does not use them in conjunction with watching matches just is not seeing the whole picture.

It is easy to dismiss stats (lies, lies and damned statistics) and it is unfortunate that they are even referred to as stats due to the negative connotations the word often has. They would be much better be described as performance indicators, which are an essential part of running any professional operation and most top managers in football will pay them a lot of attention these days.

The absolute fact is that the eyes play tricks and people can be swayed by their bias. Whilst the stats recording for football are not always perfect, they are totally objective measures and used sensibly are very useful.

I have an excellent seat at the Etihad and I like to combine watching the match in person with going home and, preferably, seeing a recording of the whole game plus MotD, Goals on Sunday and a good look at the stats and chalkboards that are available. It helps to get a rounded perspective on things (a balanced scorecard approach, if you will) and definitely helps to spot people who are talking rubbish (that comment is not directed at Bill; at least, not this time ;-) ).

It's been said that some stats are useful but, for the case in hand, stats that suggest that Yaya Toure covers more ground than Edin Dzeko or Serg doesn't make him a better option to play as a makeshift striker than James Milner and that point has, it seems, been your main point.

It's an absolute fact that we haven't seen either of them play the role, therefore we don't actually know and were just giving opinions on a City forum. To dismiss other opinions as rubbish or nonsense is ridiculous, especially when there is clearly no right or wrong answer to the debate between Yaya & Milner being the better option.

RACHACE said:
OB1 said:
de niro said:
i think he would do a job tbh but i'm with you on the stats shit. they can fudge them all they like i prefer to see with my own eyes.

Ah the old I'll rely on my eyes cliche; especially popular when facts get in the way of people's opinions (even if you do seem to be agreeing with me on this).

It's utter bollocks that stats are not useful and anyone who does not use them in conjunction with watching matches just is not seeing the whole picture.

It is easy to dismiss stats (lies, lies and damned statistics) and it is unfortunate that they are even referred to as stats due to the negative connotations the word often has. They would be much better be described as performance indicators, which are an essential part of running any professional operation and most top managers in football will pay them a lot of attention these days.

The absolute fact is that the eyes play tricks and people can be swayed by their bias. Whilst the stats recording for football are not always perfect, they are totally objective measures and used sensibly are very useful.

I have an excellent seat at the Etihad and I like to combine watching the match in person with going home and, preferably, seeing a recording of the whole game plus MotD, Goals on Sunday and a good look at the stats and chalkboards that are available. It helps to get a rounded perspective on things (a balanced scorecard approach, if you will) and definitely helps to spot people who are talking rubbish (that comment is not directed at Bill; at least, not this time ;-) ).

It's been said that some stats are useful but, for the case in hand, stats that suggest that Yaya Toure covers more ground than Edin Dzeko or Serg doesn't make him a better option to play as a makeshift striker than James Milner and that point has, it seems, been your main point.

It's an absolute fact that we haven't seen either of them play the role, therefore we don't actually know and were just giving opinions on a City forum. To dismiss other opinions as rubbish or nonsense is ridiculous, especially when there is clearly no right or wrong answer to the debate between Yaya & Milner being the better option.

Excellent riposte Rach!
It's a forum and by definition it's all about opinions. I don't always agree with people but I always respect their opinions .
On this occasion nobody knows how this is all going to pan out because its unique to us and Pelli no doubt but I have faith in him and the players that they will figure it out
Either way, this squad has more than enough talent to beat Palace tomorrow. Saturday evening we may all be waxing lyrically about the system and subsequent 3 points ....... Here's hoping !!

Kippaxgirl said:
It would be a bloody shame if Milner leaves because the club is too cheap to pay him when Yaya pulls down $300K a week and rarely earns it. He has been one of the best and most consistent players this season and has certainly earned more starting time than, say, Navas. He is very direct on the ball and doesn't dither around like Nasri who loses chances as his dithering allows the Defense to get back.

It is not down to whether the club pays Milner too cheaply. The current offer is perfectly acceptable and that isn't Milner's problem as such. It is down the fact that Yaya is a regular starter according our coach (whether it is Mancini or Pellergrini) and Milner is seen as versatile squad member at best. It was Yaya scored the winning goal in both the semi final and final of the FA Cup which got us our first trophy since 1976. It was Yaya who scored the two goals away at Newcastle that set us up for the QPR game. Who, we the supporters think is the best man for a role is irrelevant as they are the men who get paid to make the key decisions and they are the ones who have won us our trophies.

Kippaxgirl said:

FFS

chris85mcfc said:
Kippaxgirl said:

FFS
she probably read it in the papers, one of those that don't have any impact on the way people think and act

squirtyflower said:
chris85mcfc said:
Kippaxgirl said:

FFS
she probably read it in the papers, one of those that don't have any impact on the way people think and act

Well to be fair some people are very easily led

Perhaps she should get down to the Etihad and watch him live to form her own opinion

chris85mcfc said:
squirtyflower said:
chris85mcfc said:

Perhaps she should get down to the Etihad and watch him live to form her own opinion
i guess that may be a tad expensive from Tennessee

squirtyflower said:
chris85mcfc said:
squirtyflower said:

I think anyone that thinks Yaya is earning $300,000 a week, and very rarely puts a shift in, should be taken with a pinch of salt

But feel free to clutch at straws :)

chris85mcfc said:
squirtyflower said:
chris85mcfc said:

I think anyone that thinks Yaya is earning $300,000 a week, and very rarely puts a shift in, should be taken with a pinch of salt

But feel free to clutch at straws :)
i'm clutching at nothing as i have no need

i'm just pointing out the irony

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.