Jan Vertonghen

Has anyone seen this story anywhere else?

-

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini faces competition for the signature of Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen from Newcastle.

The City boss was spotted in Amsterdam airport at the weekend but was not seen in the stands at the Ajax game as Vertonghen helped his side to a 3-1 home win over De Graaftshap that sent them six points clear at the top of the Eredivisie.

Mancini may have been in the city for talks with the player's agent or to receive assurances himself from Vertonghen that the Belgian international is keen to link up with his international colleague Vincent Kompany at the heart of the City back four next season.

Ajax are expected to cash in on the 24-year-old this summer with City leading the race for his signature, but Newcastle boss Alan Pardew was at the game on Sunday and may also attempt to lure him to the North East.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.clubcall.com/manchester-city/city-boss-in-secret-dutch-mission-1415857.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.clubcall.com/manchester-city ... 15857.html</a>

We could start next season with Hazard, Kompany, Vertonghen and Boyata.

Like a lil Belgium.<br /><br />-- Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:46 pm --<br /><br />We could start next season with Hazard, Kompany, Vertonghen and Boyata.

Like a lil Belgium.

Lescott has earnt his "stripes" since he came here under a huge transfer and is 100% the starting CB next season.

I rate Vertonghen but would be very disappointed if Lescott was dropped for him.

If we signed Vertonghen I'm pretty confident he'd start the season on the bench and stay there (in bigger games) for a while until he proved he was better. There is room for three high quality central defenders at our club though, we don't rotate them enough and struggle when the top two get injured... though Micah looked really good when he had to step in.

Vertonghen could play in front of the defence for me. I'd be more confident with him playing there.

How do people know that Mancini is going to see Vertonghen just because he lands at Amsterdam ?

Holland is a small country. He could just be meeting up with Guidetti for a chat seeing as he is only about 60k away.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.