Jan Vertonghen

Can he play leftback or more to the point how good would he be at leftback. If kola, Bridge and Cunningham leave we will need more than Zab to cover for Clichy

MSP said:
If he's ready to sit on the bench for some time, than OK.

Lescott was one of the best and most consistent players this season, probably had better season than Kompany who was pretty bad in first month or two.

The anti Lescott campaign started by Moyes & Co has worked wonders.

Even some City fans seem to be blind to him, no matter how well he plays. It's as if they think the ball magically avoids our danger area on its own unless Vinny Kompany is on the end of it. It also never seems to be a problem when Vinny lumps the ball 40 yards into touch under no pressure, but every misplaced pass by Lescott is a crime.

fordinho10 said:
Can see us rotating between VK, Lescott and him if he was to sign. Rate him quite highly

Vinnie is a certitude, but even he needs a break every once in a while.
Jan Vertonghen plays both LB and CDM for Ajax and the national team.

This is on the Setanta website, I don't know where they lifted it from.

-

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini appears to have lost out to Arsenal in the race to sign Ajax centre back Jan Vertonghen.

Vertonghen, who celebrates his 25th birthday today, is understood to have given a verbal agreement to Gunners boss Arsene Wenger to make the move to the Emirates Stadium rather than the Etihad.

Ajax know they cannot keep the Belgian international for a season longer as his contract expires in 2013 and his value would plummet next year.

Mancini made a trip to Amsterdam earlier this month to check if Vertonghen really had set his sights on playing with Belgian colleague Thomas Vermaelen in London instead of Vincent Kompany at City next season and the answer appears to have been yes.

The Ajax defender is refusing to publicly declare his intention until the season is over or at least until his club have wrapped up the Eredivisie title, but he today denied that the next few matches already felt like a 'farewell tour' for him.

"I still sit at Ajax and I have still a contract up to 2013, therefore for me it does not feel like a farewell tour. "

Possibly I have already played my last home game, if I pick up a yellow against FC Twente (Vertonghen would then be suspended for the last Ajax home match).

I have decided still nothing, therefore it doesn't feel this way."

LoveCity said:
This is on the Setanta website, I don't know where they lifted it from.

-

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini appears to have lost out to Arsenal in the race to sign Ajax centre back Jan Vertonghen.

Vertonghen, who celebrates his 25th birthday today, is understood to have given a verbal agreement to Gunners boss Arsene Wenger to make the move to the Emirates Stadium rather than the Etihad.

Ajax know they cannot keep the Belgian international for a season longer as his contract expires in 2013 and his value would plummet next year.

Mancini made a trip to Amsterdam earlier this month to check if Vertonghen really had set his sights on playing with Belgian colleague Thomas Vermaelen in London instead of Vincent Kompany at City next season and the answer appears to have been yes.

The Ajax defender is refusing to publicly declare his intention until the season is over or at least until his club have wrapped up the Eredivisie title, but he today denied that the next few matches already felt like a 'farewell tour' for him.

"I still sit at Ajax and I have still a contract up to 2013, therefore for me it does not feel like a farewell tour. "

Possibly I have already played my last home game, if I pick up a yellow against FC Twente (Vertonghen would then be suspended for the last Ajax home match).

I have decided still nothing, therefore it doesn't feel this way."

He will want to play every game and he will not get that at City!! I have lots of faith in Kompany and Lescott as our primary defensive partnership; a very good back up or a very good utility player is what we need!

Neville Kneville said:
MSP said:
If he's ready to sit on the bench for some time, than OK.

Lescott was one of the best and most consistent players this season, probably had better season than Kompany who was pretty bad in first month or two.

The anti Lescott campaign started by Moyes & Co has worked wonders.

Even some City fans seem to be blind to him, no matter how well he plays. It's as if they think the ball magically avoids our danger area on its own unless Vinny Kompany is on the end of it. It also never seems to be a problem when Vinny lumps the ball 40 yards into touch under no pressure, but every misplaced pass by Lescott is a crime.

exactly this.

lescott is the best english centre half by a long way.

hes the best centre half in the league this year.

he had a better season than kompany even.

I'd like to have another CB, but only as cover. If Vertonghen is ready to accept that role than okay, but like others have said Lescott was brilliant this year and I am loving his partnership with Vinnie

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.