January defenders

Posts like this always make me chuckle, as if when we go to buy a big name CB in January the person at that club is going to think, "Well Guardiola said they weren't going to buy so I guess they're not desperate, better make sure we keep them at the negotiating table!".

You're buying a CB in January, everyone knows you're desperate. Not to mention none of these clubs want to sell a top quality CB mid-season, if you try and play hard ball over price, they'll just put the phone down and laugh, grateful they've got a legitimate excuse to give to the player who wanted to move why the deal fell through.

We've seen this so many times, with Walker, Mendy, KDB - long protracted "negotiations" that end up with us paying 99% of the original price. It's not that Txiki is a bad negotiator, it's that these deals are much more transactional than they used to be.

I guess all I'm meaning is to take responses to any questions about transfers targets with a massive pinch of salt. We may well not be looking to buy in Jan, but if we are we'd be daft to announce it to everyone in advance.

To be honest though, I don't think we will buy a centre-back. If we need to buy at that point things will have been so bad that the league would be over and we'd be buying purely for the Champions League. In which case we'd need to buy someone that isn't cup-tied - not sure there'd be many that fit the bill, regardless of price.

I guess all I'm meaning is to take responses to any questions about transfers targets with a massive pinch of salt. We may well not be looking to buy in Jan, but if we are we'd be daft to announce it to everyone in advance.

To be honest though, I don't think we will buy a centre-back. If we need to buy at that point things will have been so bad that the league would be over and we'd be buying purely for the Champions League. In which case we'd need to buy someone that isn't cup-tied - not sure there'd be many that fit the bill, regardless of price.

There is no cup-tied in the CL any more. Otherwise I agree, I don't think we will buy.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2589547.html

I also don’t think we’re going to end up buying in January (because it’s difficult and expensive, not because we don’t want to) but the idea that Pep would’ve said anything other than what he did regardless of the plan is pretty dumb. And thinking that Stu Brennan of all people has any inside info is even dumber.

Unless a bargain that we cant turn down comes long we aint signing anyone in January - let alone some of the players the idiotic press are touting for 100m plus - fanciful at best - comical and just made up lies at worst

Unless a bargain that we cant turn down comes long we aint signing anyone in January - let alone some of the players the idiotic press are touting for 100m plus - fanciful at best - comical and just made up lies at worst

this could be true ??? or maybe a loan player or a free transfer short term cover, but i can not see anybody selling the best defenders mid-season
maybe looking to bring somebody in from a club like burnley or brighton both have a good setup in the defence

but top draw world class players/defenders are going to cost double in the winter window unless we have something up our sleeves ?? maybe sane could be a good way of player swapping but again sane is world class and we should never sell our best players

Dear lord man.

Garcia outplayed Sadler already in the league cup games they played together, as for Tosin all the loans he has had have got him where again?

Muric made a couple of errors and was dropped, the same as the England keeper for Everton but not dropped, the same as Spurs keeper also not dropped, the danger of being the loan keeper with a replacement that the club owns and pays a wage for = dropped and that makes his loan absolutely useless to us now, he is gaining fuck all sat on somebody else's bench.
My point was Muric getting dropped by a championship team merely showed how far away our, EDS team currently bottom of the league and not because they do not have the skill, are away from our first team squad Tosin and Sadler are better at the moment because they are playing men and gaining experience, as for Muric i expect him to give it his all and regain his first team spot.
But we need a CB in January, and we will be the only big player in for a CB, if teams do not want to sell so be it but a good few players good enough for us have buyout clauses so the ball is in our court and our first choice CB in the summer was De Ligt a foreigner

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.