January transfers

Re: January Targets

BigOscar said:
I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Enzo Perez, to cover Fernandinho. We are a man short in CM and Fern is asked to do an awful lot of running. Another player like him to cover the whole pitch, get stuck into tackles but still be able to break forwards with the ball would be ideal.

Decent player but, given the age of our current CM's, I don't think we'll be signing a guy pushing 29.

we are along with others getting linked with the fulham lad patrick roberts a very very good young kid. but the price starts at 10 mill to 25 mill

salfordbluetrue said:
we are along with others getting linked with the fulham lad patrick roberts a very very good young kid. but the price starts at 10 mill to 25 mill

Championship strugglers Fulham face a battle to hang on to star prospect Patrick Roberts with a host of Premier League giants all eyeing the youngster.

According to the Mirror, Arsenal and both Manchester clubs are keen on the 17-year-old winger.

Roberts made two Premier League appearances last season, won the U17 European Championship with England in the summer and is now part of the Three Lions’ U19 set-up.

He has featured in seven Championship games this season as the Cottagers have failed to adjust to life in the second tier, currently propping up the division.

A bid of around £10m or perhaps less would be difficult for the West Londoners to refuse in January, as Roberts would only have 18 months left on his current deal.

However, the youngster’s parents are from near Liverpool – the team he supports – so a bid from the Reds could blow the competition out of the water
-----------------------------------------------------------

They also have Moussa Dembele in the same bracket.Both very highly rated.

blueparrot said:
Dax777 said:
bluechampion7891 said:
We could have pulled of Fabregas. I complained about it all summer. While many were incorrectly in my opinion focussing on what they deemed a week defense, I tot it was our ability to break teams down that would be the main problem.

The likes of Fabregas, Di Maria and Sanchez, were greater needs than what we focused on.

Centre back, cover for Zaba, competition for Hart and strengthening defefensive midfield were always our priority this summer quite rightly. Improving our forwards would have been nice but that can wait. Scoring goals wasn't a problem last season.
Fabregas, Di Maria and Sanchez all great players but no better than if we got Pogba and Reus next summer. Step by step we are getting there.
generally speaking I don't disagree with you, I'm just stating that we made a choice on which area to strengthen now and which ones to hold off for later. My position is simply that we picked the wrong side to strengthen first.

Personally, I believe improving our attacking ability was a higher priority - most disagree because we scored more goals than anyone else. But if you ask me, that's the wrong analysis. The correct analysis should focus on trends.

Generally speaking We conceded an average 1 goal a game, the rate of conceding stayed consistent all thru the season. However the trend on scoring showed a distinct tailing off in the last few months of the season. We started out very well and by January we were scoring at a dizzying pace. Then between February to April we struggled, before finishing May off strongly. Some of the struggles were due to injuries to our strikers, sure. But we had similar, if not greater injuries to our defense, yet we showed greater consistency on defense throughout the season in spite of injury. So if one were to conclude based on what transpired, as opposed to the media narrative, it is more likely one would conclude that the trend suggests we should perhaps strengthen, in the area where injuries affects performance the most.

That said, I'm not even opposed to strengthen defense, at least not where necessary. Like getting a backup to Zabaleta when it was deemed Micah wasn't healthy often enough, nor am I opposed to improving the defensive Central Mid position. I really don't even have any problems with Mangala, as he seems a great lad and a future superstar, but in a choice between impoving a CD position that already has Komps, Demichelis and Nastasic or the creative mid position that has just Silva, I'm much more inclined to go with adding to the Silva plata. But that me.

Need a big strong left sided midfielder who can both attack and support his full back. After watching June and Milan, and seeing him play a few times, Pogba looks the business. With FFP, we can probably only expect one signing like that per year, unless we sell players on for decent money. However, there is simply no longer any point in bringing in players who are not world class and who can slot right into the team, if needed. After all, that's what we have the Academy for....to develop players into squad members and maybe find a jewel every now and then.

With the strength, tenacity and longevity of the premier league, it is imperative to ensure players we sign are not fragile, but strong. We already have the full quota of "not on a wet Tuesday night in Burnley" players (Nasri, Navas, Silva(?), Aguero(?), Yaya(?)), so a world class addition every year and the sporadic use of Academy grads should help us build on the squad we have secured for the next five years. Just hope Nasri doesn't go off the boil now that he's got his deal!

ChicagoBlue said:
Need a big strong left sided midfielder who can both attack and support his full back. After watching June and Milan, and seeing him play a few times, Pogba looks the business. With FFP, we can probably only expect one signing like that per year, unless we sell players on for decent money. However, there is simply no longer any point in bringing in players who are not world class and who can slot right into the team, if needed. After all, that's what we have the Academy for....to develop players into squad members and maybe find a jewel every now and then.

With the strength, tenacity and longevity of the premier league, it is imperative to ensure players we sign are not fragile, but strong. We already have the full quota of "not on a wet Tuesday night in Burnley" players (Nasri, Navas, Silva(?), Aguero(?), Yaya(?)), so a world class addition every year and the sporadic use of Academy grads should help us build on the squad we have secured for the next five years. Just hope Nasri doesn't go off the boil now that he's got his deal!

Too late.

Davs 19 said:
BigOscar said:
I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Enzo Perez, to cover Fernandinho. We are a man short in CM and Fern is asked to do an awful lot of running. Another player like him to cover the whole pitch, get stuck into tackles but still be able to break forwards with the ball would be ideal.

Decent player but, given the age of our current CM's, I don't think we'll be signing a guy pushing 29.

More importantly if we are to sign any more "non homegrown" then we to sell as well for the squad size. 17 "foreign" and 8 homegrown from now on.

Jimfv1 said:
Davs 19 said:
BigOscar said:

More importantly if we are to sign any more "non homegrown" then we to sell as well for the squad size. 17 "foreign" and 8 homegrown from now on.
A point often ignored on here....

I'm no cynic said:
Jimfv1 said:
Davs 19 said:

at the moment we have 16 non HG, and if we sign someone from a club which is in europe, we coudnt play them in CL anyways

bluechampion7891 said:
I'm no cynic said:
Jimfv1 said:

at the moment we have 16 non HG, and if we sign someone from a club which is in europe, we coudnt play them in CL anyways
That's true, and I wasn't trying to say otherwise. At the moment, as you say, we have just one place to fill, though if that player is Reus, Pogba or Isco, probably the most mentioned names on the transfer forum, none of these are likely to be leaving their clubs in January should their clubs still be in Europe. But when summer does come, there still can't be a wholesale recruitment drive from non HG sources without existing players being shipped out first, and that is the problem the previous poster was getting at.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.