January transfers

bluechampion7891 said:
Bluewonder said:
George Hannah said:
Guardian says we're after Alex Song among others

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/01/football-transfer-rumours-alex-song-man-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... g-man-city</a>
He's homegrown and would've been a decent option in the summer.
if song really is HG then he may be a better (cheaper) option than schniderlin that we may be able to sell quickly too if we want to make space in the squad in the summer.

but will he go to afcon?
he is HG and not currently in the Cameroon squad

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29380322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29380322</a>

George Hannah said:
bluechampion7891 said:
Bluewonder said:
He's homegrown and would've been a decent option in the summer.
if song really is HG then he may be a better (cheaper) option than schniderlin that we may be able to sell quickly too if we want to make space in the squad in the summer.

but will he go to afcon?
he is HG and not currently in the Cameroon squad

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29380322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29380322</a>

hmmm...I agree with LoveCity though about him not being good enough as 1st choice but for a short term period as 3rd/4th choice CM till summer I like him as an option

LoveCity said:
Alex Song would be another who brings absolutely nothing we don't already have. Another good, maybe very good player, of whom we have so many. We need better, the best, the elite if we're ever to reach the next level. This is a Rob Shepherd rumour from the Mail anyway and he is usually full of it.
But he's homegrown, and we need homegrown players.

There aren't many homegrown players that are "something different" or "elite":

There is Ronaldo, Bale, and Fabregas. Possibly Ramsey or Gerard Pique at a stretch. Sterling or Barkley in the future perhaps. But there aren't many, plus at least 4 of those are completely un-gettable.

kun said:
LoveCity said:
Alex Song would be another who brings absolutely nothing we don't already have. Another good, maybe very good player, of whom we have so many. We need better, the best, the elite if we're ever to reach the next level. This is a Rob Shepherd rumour from the Mail anyway and he is usually full of it.

There is Ronaldo, Bale, and Fabregas. Possibly Ramsey or Gerard Pique at a stretch. Sterling or Barkley in the future perhaps. But there aren't many, plus at least 4 of those are completely un-gettable.
and we do seem to attract Arsenal products

kun said:
LoveCity said:

The homegrown quota is not an obligation but an option as far as I know. And with Pellegrini preferring a compact squad of 21/22, that allows us to name fewer homegrown anyway if we choose. 17 NHG+4 or 5 HG is enough for Pellegrini's ideal squad and now we have the luxury of some youth players who are actually good after so many years of mediocrity from the reserves.

Padding the squad with homegrown (on big wages to boot) for the sake of it is pointless, we may as well use our best U21s like Lopes and Pozo if we're short on numbers and focus on what we really need with transfers.

We have Fernando and Fernandinho already and even Milner can play a similar role to what Song does. What we would benefit from far more is a high-end technician like Koke or even someone like Pjanic. Personally I'm tired of us going for the same old midfield type (soon we'll be linked with Kondogbia or Tiote again), when it's obvious we would benefit more from a player of the Fabregas/Kroos/Modric/Koke/Pjanic/Alonso ilk.

We'll never become a European force if we keep targeting small fish who bring nothing new to the plate. Song is another player who is a good footballer but is looking good in an OK team (but his performances have dropped off lately) after being considered one of Barcelona's worst signings of the last 10 years. If we need yet another athletic midfielder, at least aim higher and go for Pogba who is already better than Song at every aspect of football.

Too many settle for second best and that's why we still aren't a Champions League force. While Real Madrid go signing Kroos and Chelsea go signing Fabregas, we target Alex Song? Thank god it's Rob Shepherd or I might be worried.

LoveCity said:
kun said:
LoveCity said:

The homegrown quota is not an obligation but an option as far as I know. And with Pellegrini preferring a compact squad of 21/22, that allows us to name fewer homegrown anyway if we choose. 17 NHG+4 or 5 HG is enough for Pellegrini's ideal squad and now we have the luxury of some youth players who are actually good after so many years of mediocrity from the reserves.

Padding the squad with homegrown (on big wages to boot) for the sake of it is pointless, we may as well use our best U21s like Lopes and Pozo if we're short on numbers and focus on what we really need with transfers.

We have Fernando and Fernandinho already and even Milner can play a similar role to what Song does. What we would benefit from far more is a high-end technician like Koke or even someone like Pjanic. Personally I'm tired of us going for the same old midfield type (soon we'll be linked with Kondogbia or Tiote again), when it's obvious we would benefit more from a player of the Fabregas/Kroos/Modric/Koke/Pjanic/Alonso ilk.

We'll never become a European force if we keep targeting small fish who bring nothing new to the plate. Song is another player who is a good footballer but is looking good in an OK team (but his performances have dropped off lately) after being considered one of Barcelona's worst signings of the last 10 years. If we need yet another athletic midfielder, at least aim higher and go for Pogba who is already better than Song at every aspect of football.

Too many settle for second best and that's why we still aren't a Champions League force. While Real Madrid go signing Kroos and Chelsea go signing Fabregas, we target Alex Song? Thank god it's Rob Shepherd or I might be worried.

This.

I would have our homegrown quota assigned primarily to academy graduates and special British talents only, i.e Sterling or Barkley.

The days of buying average homegrown players just to fulfill the quota have to end.

LoveCity said:
kun said:
LoveCity said:

Good logic in your post LC. Add Eriksen to your mids list though

LoveCity said:
kun said:
LoveCity said:

Agreed. I'd try to get Koke first and if not Pjanic. They're worth spending the money on.

Wilfred Bony would be a great signing and he's exactly the type of striker we need, strong holds it up well can link play and finish, as good as there is in the 20m bracket and sorry to say ahead of Edin in terms of team play

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.