January window

He wouldn’t be playing so frequently for the French national squad if he were quite as bad as you suggest, surely. I’m not suggesting that he’s the answer to all our prayers, far from it, but Phillips doesn’t even seem to be in Guardiola’s breviary!

As I’ve said elsewhere, I only think we’ll make a move for someone in the window if we have genuine concerns about the continued availability of certain players (de Bruyne, Stones, Kovacic, and another Rodri suspension) and how that might impact our chances of competing. Rabiot would be a cheaper alternative and might help fill in.
Same national team that consistenly played Sakho and Zouma over Laporte. Was mostly useless whenever I saw him for France anyways

Same national team that consistenly played Sakho and Zouma over Laporte. Was mostly useless whenever I saw him for France anyways
Played in the World Cup final and has been instrumental in France’s rebuild in recent seasons. We’re clearly not going to agree on his merits, so probably best to park the discussion.

Rabiot would be a cheaper alternative and might help fill in.
We won the Champions League last season and reached record breaking revenue. Why should our aim be to bring in cheap alternatives that "might help fill in"? Rabiot is not awful in anyway, but its a Brokelona or Rags type of signing. Would just scream panic buy. In my opinion.

We won the Champions League last season and reached record breaking revenue. Why should our aim be to bring in cheap alternatives that "might help fill in"? Rabiot is not awful in anyway, but its a Brokelona or Rags type of signing. Would just scream panic buy. In my opinion.
I agree, I don’t understand the logic. Win everything, best in world. What do you do after? Dump the midfield and replace with Chelsea bench warmer and a chap who’s above average for wolves. Why didn’t wr push harder for rice? We should be getting the best of the best!!

Because, as I mentioned above, I would only go for such a player if we had continued concerns about the ability of Stones, Kovacic, and de Bruyne to play consistently through to May. Phillips may leave or isn’t going to feature, Nunes is taking time to find his feet, and that leaves us with Lewis. We are light on physicality, height, and experience in midfield, attributes that Rabiot possesses. If the club thinks it can cope, fine, but spending 70 million on Palhinha in this window, who wasn’t a target last summer, would scream ‘panic‘ more loudly. As I’ve said, we’ll probably await the Paqueta verdict before spending big, so it’s more a question of whether Guardiola thinks he needs more now.

Because, as I mentioned above, I would only go for such a player if we had continued concerns about the ability of Stones, Kovacic, and de Bruyne to play consistently through to May. Phillips may leave or isn’t going to feature, Nunes is taking time to find his feet, and that leaves us with Lewis. We are light on physicality, height, and experience in midfield, attributes that Rabiot possesses. If the club thinks it can cope, fine, but spending 70 million on Palhinha in this window, who wasn’t a target last summer, would scream ‘panic‘ more loudly. As I’ve said, we’ll probably await the Paqueta verdict before spending big, so it’s more a question of whether Guardiola thinks he needs more now.
I guess the main difference is that I think Palhinhas qualities makes him a capable backup for Rodri, while Rabiot is more of an 8 than a natural 6. We need a capable Rodri backup, we dont need another 8 on a similar level as Nunes/Kovacic. If we are going to upgrade these guys (which I think we should to), it should be a higher level player than Rabiot. It should be an elite level player that's a worthy replacement to Gundogan. Just my opinion.

I guess the main difference is that I think Palhinhas qualities makes him a capable backup for Rodri, while Rabiot is more of an 8 than a natural 6. We need a capable Rodri backup, we dont need another 8 on a similar level as Nunes/Kovacic. If we are going to upgrade these guys (which I think we should to), it should be a higher level player than Rabiot. It should be an elite level player that's a worthy replacement to Gundogan. Just my opinion.
Very little hope Paulinho sees himself as a capable back up to Rodri.

Like who ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.