January window

And if we start playing with two genuine fast wide players we may need to play him alongside Rodri for a lot of games.

Yeah , that would be plenty of game time for him, maybe its time for Pep to stop the CB or FB stepping into midfield and keep it more solid at the back now with a flat back 4 and two pivot players that maybe one pushes on to join in with the more attacking players?

Yeah , that would be plenty of game time for him, maybe its time for Pep to stop the CB or FB stepping into midfield and keep it more solid at the back now with a flat back 4 and two pivot players that maybe one pushes on to join in with the more attacking players?
Pep will probably will try to invert or push extra player to control the midfield.

Always with the eye to a bargain, I'd be keeping my peepers on the teams that fall out of the Champions League and especially the Porto v Shakhtar result tonight. If the Portuguese win, then Shakhtar are elimnated and that might make them more willing sellers. They have, for instance, a young midfielder (Sudakov) that might become available.

I can't see Pep playing 6 defensive and 4 attacking players,he never has before and I'd be surprised if he started now.

I can't see Pep playing 6 defensive and 4 attacking players,he never has before and I'd be surprised if he started now.
To be fair, that's essentially what Pep did against Luton, with Rodri & Kovacic playing as a double pivot.

Rodri is a CDM on paper, but we all know he's so much more in reality, as he's also a conductor, creator & a big game goal scorer too.

This is why I think Pep has given up on Philips. He's good defensively, but struggles to offer the levels of creativity & goal threat we had with Touré, Fernandinho & now Rodri, hence he can't be relied on to deliver what Pep wants.

Pep's pressed the reset button & thankfully gone back to basics. We've had many iterations of Pep-Ball, & we've seen he doesn't fear evolving his tactics accordingly.

If that means continuing with Sunday's formation until Stones & KDB are fully fit, then so be it.

To be fair, that's essentially what Pep did against Luton, with Rodri & Kovacic playing as a double pivot.

Rodri is a CDM on paper, but we all know he's so much more in reality, as he's also a conductor, creator & a big game goal scorer too.

This is why I think Pep has given up on Philips. He's good defensively, but struggles to offer the levels of creativity & goal threat we had with Touré, Fernandinho & now Rodri, hence he can't be relied on to deliver what Pep wants.

Pep's pressed the reset button & thankfully gone back to basics. We've had many iterations of Pep-Ball, & we've seen he doesn't fear evolving his tactics accordingly.

If that means continuing with Sunday's formation until Stones & KDB are fully fit, then so be it.
True, but I think ideally he'd prefer Rodri DM, Stones stepping into midfield to release Rodri,and KDB and another (Bernardo or Foden ? ) as his 2 attacking mids.
The big question is how he deals with Rodri backup and I haven't a clue how he solves that. What I don't think he will do is buy another DM that is a first choice,or expects to be and play 2 DM s as his preffered formation. Think he'd only do that if he hasn't got Stones.
It's a conundrum the Rodri situation and I'm sure he'll come up with a plan,he may well surprise me and go double pivot, but I would be very surprised.

True, but I think ideally he'd prefer Rodri DM, Stones stepping into midfield to release Rodri,and KDB and another (Bernardo or Foden ? ) as his 2 attacking mids.
The big question is how he deals with Rodri backup and I haven't a clue how he solves that. What I don't think he will do is buy another DM that is a first choice,or expects to be and play 2 DM s as his preffered formation. Think he'd only do that if he hasn't got Stones.
It's a conundrum the Rodri situation and I'm sure he'll come up with a plan,he may well surprise me and go double pivot, but I would be very surprised.
As we've found out this season, we don't have an adequate CDM player to challenge, rotate & back up Rodri.

We've not been able to rely on Stones through injury, however what we've gained offensively, we've lost defensively, hence conceding 10 goals in 3 games which is what we'd expect after 13 games or so.

We've not adequately replaced Gundog, Mahrez or Fernandinho & nor do we have anyone with KDB's level of creativity. Losing those 4 when we only legislated for Gundog & Fernandinho, & Philips not working out is costing us.

For a reported £30m, I love the look of André Trindadé to rotate as a CDM with Rodders.

KDB's cracking on in age, so Florian Wirtz looks like a long-term successor for Kev, however he won't move until the summer, & the German Rags will be in pole position for him.

There's question marks over Alphonso Davies' future at Bayern, with reports that contract talks have stalled, leaving him with a year left this summer.

Rumours are Real have a deal to get him on a free in 2025, but I reckon if he doesn't sign an extension by the summer, Bayern will commence an auction for him, rather than him leaving the season after for nothing.

Then there's the Paqueta question, with some reports suggesting we may go back in for him regardless of his betting investigation.

Those 4 players will make up for us relying on Kovacic, Nunes & Philips. None of them are really cutting it for me. I wouldn't be averse to Philips & Nunes seeking pastures new by next summer.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.