Jason Denayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neville Kneville said:
FantasyIreland said:
I watched the game today,he was a solid 7/10.

His positional play and awareness is excellent as is his technical ability,he has a superb engine and is developing a great physique,he also has decent pace and is committed in the challenge.
His weaknesses are his lack of experience and,as has been said,his ability in the air.....he's by no means poor but he could improve.

Its difficult not to get excited by this lads ability and attitude,i honestly believe,come the start of next season,he could challenge for a starting place here.

On a side note,his mate VVD is no mug either.....

I'm wondering if there is some technical flaw in Van Dijk's game that top coaches can see, & I'm not qualified or smart enough to see. Or perhaps mental issues or something.

Because I've watched him a lot of times &, ok it's a poor league, but he looks great in the air, strong on the ground, quick, great on the ball & intelligent. Covers well etc.
I am struggling to understand why he is playing in Scotland at 23, & why there are a bunch of fucking clowns in the Dutch team, & no Van Dijk, as he looks 3 times better than all of them.

I don't know how much Celtic will be asking for him, but if it's not stupid money, I would sign him purely on potential. The possible rewards are worth the risk. City have people watching Denayer, so we must be aware of VVD.

Like I say, perhaps there is a flaw which I'm missing & it would be exposed at a higher level but if the Turtle has him in the centre of rags defence next season, or Brendan fucking Rodgers snaps him up, & he's brilliant, I won't be impressed with City's judgement at all, as we can see him every week & obviously have a diologue with Celtic, & Deila.

Celtic will want between £8m & £10m, and he is worth every penny. I don't want him to leave, but know he will do and we would be absolutely stupid not to buy him. I know the quality he is playing against is much lower then the EPL, but big Virgil strolls through the games. When he gets caught out it is simply because he is bored and loses concentration. To be perfectly honest his skill set is probably better than Kompany's

So as much as I would hate to see him go, I do hope it is to City. Then maybe Jason could stay at Celtic for another year.

Being brutally honest,i'm not convinced we have bought any better than Van Dijk in Mangala.I'm a big fan of our boy and i'm sure he's going to be superb for us.......but Van Dijk,while not quite as physically effective,appears to have a greater composure and better technical ability and would have cost 20m less.....so like Nev,it would seem maybe we're missing something??

Getting back to Denayer,he has that special something that cant be taught,a natural authority and confidence coupled with a raw talent that experience will only enhance - he's going to be a gem imo.

mad zab said:
Neville Kneville said:
FantasyIreland said:
I watched the game today,he was a solid 7/10.

His positional play and awareness is excellent as is his technical ability,he has a superb engine and is developing a great physique,he also has decent pace and is committed in the challenge.
His weaknesses are his lack of experience and,as has been said,his ability in the air.....he's by no means poor but he could improve.

Its difficult not to get excited by this lads ability and attitude,i honestly believe,come the start of next season,he could challenge for a starting place here.

On a side note,his mate VVD is no mug either.....

I'm wondering if there is some technical flaw in Van Dijk's game that top coaches can see, & I'm not qualified or smart enough to see. Or perhaps mental issues or something.

Because I've watched him a lot of times &, ok it's a poor league, but he looks great in the air, strong on the ground, quick, great on the ball & intelligent. Covers well etc.
I am struggling to understand why he is playing in Scotland at 23, & why there are a bunch of fucking clowns in the Dutch team, & no Van Dijk, as he looks 3 times better than all of them.

I don't know how much Celtic will be asking for him, but if it's not stupid money, I would sign him purely on potential. The possible rewards are worth the risk. City have people watching Denayer, so we must be aware of VVD.

Like I say, perhaps there is a flaw which I'm missing & it would be exposed at a higher level but if the Turtle has him in the centre of rags defence next season, or Brendan fucking Rodgers snaps him up, & he's brilliant, I won't be impressed with City's judgement at all, as we can see him every week & obviously have a diologue with Celtic, & Deila.

Celtic will want between £8m & £10m, and he is worth every penny. I don't want him to leave, but know he will do and we would be absolutely stupid not to buy him. I know the quality he is playing against is much lower then the EPL, but big Virgil strolls through the games. When he gets caught out it is simply because he is bored and loses concentration. To be perfectly honest his skill set is probably better than Kompany's

So as much as I would hate to see him go, I do hope it is to City. Then maybe Jason could stay at Celtic for another year.

I think we need denayer back next season due to the hg rules. Jason and lopes should be in the squad next season, they're our best prospects, it's about time we made them squad regulars. If we sign his mate from celtic, that would leave us with a very youthful bunch of center backs, depending on weather demichellis leaves. Vinny, mangala, denayer and Virgil does look good, but if vinny gets injured I would worry if anyone of them could step up and fill in for him. Mangala needs to step up next season with a year under his belt in the prem.

FantasyIreland said:
Being brutally honest,i'm not convinced we have bought any better than Van Dijk in Mangala.I'm a big fan of our boy and i'm sure he's going to be superb for us.......but Van Dijk,while not quite as physically effective,appears to have a greater composure and better technical ability and would have cost 20m less.....so like Nev,it would seem maybe we're missing something??

Getting back to Denayer,he has that special something that cant be taught,a natural authority and confidence coupled with a raw talent that experience will only enhance - he's going to be a gem imo.
Honestly, I think van Dijk has picked up too many bad habits from playing in Scotland too long. He goes on more forwards wanders than David Luiz, while he seems to not concern himself too much with being in position, as he finds it so easy to just use his phyiscality to get back in position. It would be interesting to see how well he dealt with teams who actually put his positional play under any pressure or who were capable of punishing mistakes. Denayer seems to be picking up a few of these habits as well, which is a bit of a worry, but you'd hope we could coach them out of him in preseason.

If you look at the absolute shambles they've been at the back in Europe this year, it's clear that they aren't as good at the back as they look in the league (and that's only been against second rate eastern european sides). Watch the goals they conceeded against Legia Warsaw and it's not hard to see why top teams aren't falling over themselves to sign him.

Well that adds weight to the debate......ive not watched them in Europe so i'm not qualified to pass an opinion.I will endeavour to watch the Milan game.

FantasyIreland said:
Well that adds weight to the debate......ive not watched them in Europe so i'm not qualified to pass an opinion.I will endeavour to watch the Milan game.
The highlights are all on youtube and they aren't great viewing.

BigOscar said:
FantasyIreland said:

I understand about the possible 'bad habits' & you could be right, however his jaunts upfield I believe are part of the freedom which Deila is trying to encourage in Celtic's attacking play. He doesn't do it very often & usually his position is covered & also Denayer sometimes does the same. I don't think either is a reckless dickhead like Luiz.

There is a video possibly even in this thread, of Denayer doing a Robinho type manoeuvre next to the opponent's corner flag, prior to cutting inside along the touchline, that was after running all the way up the right wing.

They both play like that & the thing is, they rarely lose the ball. Unlike Kompany who succeeds once or twice per season in the oppo half but normally looks like a train going dowhill with no brakes & the ball getting further away from him before the inevitable overhit pass or sliding tackle/booking, both Denayer & VVD tend to finish with a pass which ends up with a Celtic player, in fact they usually look better on the ball than the blokes they pass it to.

As regards Europe, the whole Celtic team struggled at times in all areas but there are mitigating circumstances. For one, they have changed from Lennons 'everybody behind the ball nick what we can' system to a Pellegrini type style of trying to play football & it was early days in his tenure, so they were pretty all over the place at the back. Two, they play against enthusiastic but direct teams most of the year, & are suddenly catapulted into a much higher & completely different standard of football. It's no surprise if they are mugged. And three, at no time have they ever ben as bad as City v CSKA Moscow, a standard at which none of our defenders would get in Celtic's team.

I think it's harsh to judge them on Europe. They have no real way to prepare for it. Unlike City, who play better teams than CSKA most weeks & still fuck it up.

FantasyIreland said:

I agree about Van Dijk. It's very odd that there seems to be very little interest in him. He is definitely a better technical player than Mangala.

In relation to Denayer, my only question mark is whether Txiki may consider he needs another season on loan. I personally would like to see him back, and as I have said 'Do a Vinny' and develop as a DM, but Txiki may think he is still a little immature in terms of experience.

I accept that if Denayer comes back then there would be no room for Van Dijk, but in a perfect world I think they would both do very well playing for us.

Neville Kneville said:
BigOscar said:
FantasyIreland said:

I understand about the possible 'bad habits' & you could be right, however his jaunts upfield I believe are part of the freedom which Deila is trying to encourage in Celtic's attacking play. He doesn't do it very often & usually his position is covered & also Denayer sometimes does the same. I don't think either is a reckless dickhead like Luiz.

There is a video possibly even in this thread, of Denayer doing a Robinho type manoeuvre next to the opponent's corner flag, prior to cutting inside along the touchline, that was after running all the way up the right wing.

They both play like that & the thing is, they rarely lose the ball. Unlike Kompany who succeeds once or twice per season in the oppo half but normally looks like a train going dowhill with no brakes & the ball getting further away from him before the inevitable overhit pass or sliding tackle/booking, both Denayer & VVD tend to finish with a pass which ends up with a Celtic player, in fact they usually look better on the ball than the blokes they pass it to.

As regards Europe, the whole Celtic team struggled at times in all areas but there are mitigating circumstances. For one, they have changed from Lennons 'everybody behind the ball nick what we can' system to a Pellegrini type style of trying to play football & it was early days in his tenure, so they were pretty all over the place at the back. Two, they play against enthusiastic but direct teams most of the year, & are suddenly catapulted into a much higher & completely different standard of football. It's no surprise if they are mugged. And three, at no time have they ever ben as bad as City v CSKA Moscow, a standard at which none of our defenders would get in Celtic's team.

I think it's harsh to judge them on Europe. They have no real way to prepare for it. Unlike City, who play better teams than CSKA most weeks & still fuck it up.

Tbf Vinnie would probably get away with it all the time in the SPL and the VVD and Denayer would probably get away with it a lot less in the PL.

I don't believe so. Players are no less keen to close down in the SPL than in the Prem, especially v Celtic. And the pitches are often much worse & more difficult to control/pass under pressure.

Both get it wrong on occasion, as do all of our defenders with reasonable regularity. They would probably get a bit of a surprise early on, at being caught by quicker, smarter players, but we see Demichelis for instance, jog through & pass the ball on occasion. After a few initial muggings & scares/crowd whinges, I think both would eventually be exceptional on the ball at Premier League level, compared to most defenders.

I think both are miles better with the ball at their feet than Kompany & infinitely better at weighting a pass.

It's the defending bit where they will have to prove themselves if they play there. Knocking the ball around will be the easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.