Jason Denayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaudion M said:
Mixed view’s on this. It might be 1 season to soon for us given we have just extended MDM although that would be my preferred option as he can play midfield as well.

Scottish football is a strange mix of some big games / decent opposition (games against Milan were the highlight) and some small clubs grounds that would not make it in Div2. On balance it has been excellent for Denayer.

A championship club could provide a more consistent level and pressure, it is certainly a competitive league. It would be easier to find a decent club where he has a very strong chance of playing 30+ games where as in the PL every squad has at least 2 and probably 3 senior CB’s who will be on reasonable wages. Finding one who would likely play Denayer every week would be hard and he needs to play every week.

Whilst the level of quality may lack at times in the SPL, every single side steps up when they play Celtic. They're the major scalp that every club wants to beat. Denayer has to deal with an opposition fully pumped up and with the desire to beat Celtic. It's much like us going to a lower league side in the FA Cup where the gulf in quality is often shrunk by the desire of the opposition.

if we want him to go to a championship club let's make sure he plays week in week out and to a team that will push for promotion! if he goes to a team that's going to struggle it's a waste of time because his confidence that he got from this season will be gone in one fair swoop!

On the evidence of this season we're hardly awash with in-form CBs, Demichelis will be a year older, Boyata isn't going to improve and Mangala though promising is hardly leaps and bounds ahead of Denayer in terms of form (nor is Kompany for that matter on this season's evidence). I think Denayer could give one or two of them proper competition for their places next season.

If we're not planning to buy another CB or to keep Denayer in the squad then are the current lot good enough to push on next season? If we did go into the market for another CB this would hardly give Denayer or any young player encouragement for their future prospects. I realise that not all 18/19 year olds are ready for first team football at this level but Denayer looks as ready as any I've seen recently.

Neville Kneville said:
Ray78 said:
I am unsure whether a loan to a Championship club would be beneficial (especially with him having Europa League experience already) but he is guaranteed game time and that is the most important for the lad at this stage of his career and it would help with the new HG ruling.

It makes no difference to the hg ruling.

I think it's madness sending him to the Championship. He is not very big for a cb & all it would need is a couple of missed headers, then he's on the bench for 6 months. He's a footballing cb not a Championship player.

If this is true, then if I was Denayer I'd just turn down the next contract offer from City in the summer & sign for someone else. He will get shedloads of offers. If they don't consider him ready for the Premier League, he should be playing at the absolute top level in another country, playing cultured football, not the Championship.

I find this hard to believe, but it is a joke if true, quite frankly & he should just tell City to fuck off.

I agree Nev. It's time for him to step up, rather than down. He needs to be playing in a team that plays football with a degree of technical skill, not hoofball a la the championship.

I would like him to come back next season, but I can understand the view that he needs to be playing regular football at his age, and not warming the bench behind Vinny, Mangala and MDM.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him play as a defensive midfielder. It's a position which we desperately need to fill. We have never found a suitable replacement for DeJong.

Perhaps Denayer might be the answer.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I wouldn't be putting it out there as my first choice. Surely we should be assessing him in preseason to see if he's ready for our first team, then if not then look to see if a premier league team wants him and is willing to commit to playing him week in week out. The Championship would be a fall back plan imo, prefereably only a shorter loan as well to give him a chance to get a loan to someone better if he proves himself.

The Championship would be a really good test for him though, as it's a big step up from the SPL, in terms of quality, physicality and competitiveness. He'd miss out on a couple of european games, but he'd more than make up for it in the amount of tough games he'd have to play. Realistically for Celtic, the european games are the only games in the season where you are going to come up against a better side than you, who dominate your team and put you under pressure all game, whereas in the championship that happens to every team fairly regularly, it's a lot more competitive.

The leap from Celtic to City probably is a bit too big tbh, although he should be given every chance to show he's ready.

@StuBrennanMEN 4m4 minutes ago
City playing down a report that @Jasondenayer will be loaned to a Championship club next season

Manchester City have played down reports that young defender Jason Denayer will go on loan to a Championship club next season.

The future of the 19-year-old Belgium international defender, along with those of fellow up-and-coming Blues Karim Rekik and Marcos Lopes, will be decided in the summer

Rekik this week hinted the Blues want him tested in a tougher league next season, but the dilemma of what to do with their starlets is looming for the club.

"Rony" Lopes is the third name being mentioned, another youngster who has been a roaring success during a season-long loan at Lille – and his immediate destiny will be decided in the summer.

All three have had very good seasons. Denayer is in the running for Scotland’s Young Player of the year award after a fine campaign with Celtic, Lopes has quickly established himself as Lille’s best player and Rekik has won the Dutch title with PSV Eindhoven.

Now City have to work out the best way of developing their careers – do they return and challenge for a place in Manuel Pellegrini’s squad, return to their recent clubs, or go on loan to another club?

The speculation has been wild, but the Blues are not in a rush to decide – they will take a closer look at all three in the summer, possibly taking them on the pre-season jaunt to Australia.

I hope that has comes from the club because it sounds like a very sensible plan.

Certainly with Denayer and Lopes who I could see playing a decent role next year. Denayer has versatility and I’d like to see him in midfiled initially or as a third CB to close out games. Ronny would be a straight understudy for Silva / direct replacement for Lampard/Jovitic. We will lose some midfield players in the summer so I would like to see these two factored into the replacements.

Rekik is only ever going to be a CB so his route into the team is limited given MDM and Boyata will be around for next season.

lancs blue said:
On the evidence of this season we're hardly awash with in-form CBs, Demichelis will be a year older, Boyata isn't going to improve and Mangala though promising is hardly leaps and bounds ahead of Denayer in terms of form (nor is Kompany for that matter on this season's evidence). I think Denayer could give one or two of them proper competition for their places next season.

If we're not planning to buy another CB or to keep Denayer in the squad then are the current lot good enough to push on next season? If we did go into the market for another CB this would hardly give Denayer or any young player encouragement for their future prospects. I realise that not all 18/19 year olds are ready for first team football at this level but Denayer looks as ready as any I've seen recently.

Pretty much this.

There is a lot to be said about timing, I don't necessarily agree that sending him on loan to the championship would be that useful when we can blood him in the cup games and the odd PL match against lesser opp.

supercity88 said:
Gaudion M said:
Mixed view’s on this. It might be 1 season to soon for us given we have just extended MDM although that would be my preferred option as he can play midfield as well.

Scottish football is a strange mix of some big games / decent opposition (games against Milan were the highlight) and some small clubs grounds that would not make it in Div2. On balance it has been excellent for Denayer.

A championship club could provide a more consistent level and pressure, it is certainly a competitive league. It would be easier to find a decent club where he has a very strong chance of playing 30+ games where as in the PL every squad has at least 2 and probably 3 senior CB’s who will be on reasonable wages. Finding one who would likely play Denayer every week would be hard and he needs to play every week.

Whilst the level of quality may lack at times in the SPL, every single side steps up when they play Celtic. They're the major scalp that every club wants to beat. Denayer has to deal with an opposition fully pumped up and with the desire to beat Celtic. It's much like us going to a lower league side in the FA Cup where the gulf in quality is often shrunk by the desire of the opposition.

Completely agree that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.