Javi Garcia (continued)

Mr. Aguia said:
lasereyes said:
taconinja said:
Sure but that's what we need, correct? We don't need another starter as we have Yaya and Fernandinho. We need someone happy to play in the squad who will get plenty of games as a sub or when injuries happen and during cups. Frankly, we could use a fourth central midfielder the same as that.

That's a fair point, but I worry about the gameload on Yaya or Fernandinho having to play every critical game competing in 4 competitions. What if one of them gets injured for a period (and don't we have the African Nations next year?)? Garcia doesn't offer too much going forward and my concern is with him starting, there is too much of a drop-off in quality and the overall threat we pose. Another option is to get a better player and have a pool of 3 holding midfielders that we can rotate. There will be plenty enough football for all of them.

I was gonna say the same thing. Having to play Dinho and Yaya in every game is just bonkers, particularly with the WC this summer they are gonna have very little break. Plus there is another ACON in January if I'm not mistaken so that could mean another spell without Yaya. What happens when one is injured is we have no real second option to bring in a player that does the same things as they do. Not to mention if they get injured. When one of them is not playing we have struggled 9 times out of 10 to create consistent offense. That doesn't even take into account the situations when they just are playing well.

Garcia has certainly improved and I'm happy about that. It looked like he was a total waste of 15m. He's a solid option vs the lower half of the division and can come in late to see out a game. But I wouldn't want him to be starting vs Madrid, Barca etc... So we certainly need to bring in another CM in the summer.
Never understand this stuff. He's been far more effective against the big teams than he is against the parked buses of the bottom half.

So much rubbish spouted about Javi on this thread.

He has suffered so much undeserved abuse because he wasnt the wanted to leave De Jong its untrue. He is a much better footballer than De Jong but he dosent do crowd pleasing tackles as his positioning is better.

Dont get the no pace thing. Who said you needed pace to play football? It certainly wasnt Bobby Moore, Ali B or Jaime Pollock

Been superb since he came back from his injury. Not ok, not good, but superb and no less than that.

Delighted for the lad after the stick he's received.

Personally I'd play him as part of a midfield three at Anfield with Fernandinho and Toure.

ayrshire_blue said:
Been superb since he came back from his injury. Not ok, not good, but superb and no less than that.

Personally I'd play him as part of a midfield three at Anfield with Fernandinho and Toure.

Spot on Javi will have a sitting in front of the back 4 at Anfield with Fernandinho with Toure up advanced behind the front man. Thats the way to go. The lad is getting better used to the football here and he has come on in leaps and bounds over this season. 1 of our most improved players this season.

leighton said:
ayrshire_blue said:

Spot on Javi will have a sitting in front of the back 4 at Anfield with Fernandinho with Toure up advanced behind the front man. Thats the way to go. The lad is getting better used to the football here and he has come on in leaps and bounds over this season. 1 of our most improved players this season.

So we shunt Silva, who's put a string of MOTM performances together since moved centrally, back out wide?

Rolee said:
leighton said:
ayrshire_blue said:

So we shunt Silva, who's put a string of MOTM performances together since moved centrally, back out wide?
Wider yes, he's still got the quality to win the game and will still drift into central positions. Needs of the team come over getting the best out of one single player.

pee dubya said:
Rolee said:
leighton said:

Wider yes, he's still got the quality to win the game and will still drift into central positions. Needs of the team come over getting the best out of one single player.

Sorry I don't agree. This would make us weaker out wide where they are at their strongest and takes away from our most likely source of creating chances. Silva needs a free role where there's little onus on him to defend.

This isn't anything to do with me not wanting Garcia to play, I was defending him whilst the naysayers were shouting him down but just think we're taking too much away from an attacking perspective by playing him, Ferna and Yaya centrally.

Rolee said:
pee dubya said:
Rolee said:

Sorry I don't agree. This would make us weaker out wide where they are at their strongest and takes away our most likely source of creating chances. Silva needs a free role where there's little onus on him to defend.

This isn't anything to do with me not wanting Garcia to play, I was defending him whilst the naysayers were shouting him down but just think we're taking too much away from an attacking perspective by playing him, Ferna and Yaya centrally.
Whilst you limit Silva a little, you also liberate Yaya, who can be even more destructive. Gerrard can use his experience to close down Silva's space, but there's little he can do against the power and pace of Yaya.

Liverpools greatest threat is the quick ball to Suarez or Sturridge, the key to shutting that out is to rush them, make that pass as inaccurate and difficult as possible. For that you need numbers in the middle, to press and to block off the routes to the forwards.

I really don't mind if Liverpool get a bit of space out wide and sling the crosses in. Suarez and Sturridge vs Kompany, Demichelis and Garcia? Cross away, we'd defend balls into the box all day long.

pee dubya said:
Rolee said:
pee dubya said:

Sorry I don't agree. This would make us weaker out wide where they are at their strongest and takes away our most likely source of creating chances. Silva needs a free role where there's little onus on him to defend.

Whilst you limit Silva a little, you also liberate Yaya, who can be even more destructive. Gerrard can use his experience to close down Silva's space, but there's little he can do against the power and pace of Yaya.

Liverpools greatest threat is the quick ball to Suarez or Sturridge, the key to shutting that out is to rush them, make that pass as inaccurate and difficult as possible. For that you need numbers in the middle, to press and to block off the routes to the forwards.

I really don't mind if Liverpool get a bit of space out wide and sling the crosses in. Suarez and Sturridge vs Kompany, Demichelis and Garcia? Cross away, we'd defend balls into the box all day long.

I agree with you on what their threat is that's another reason I'd have Silva central, Yaya doesn't press enough, Gerrard would have less time on the ball with tenacious Dave snapping around him.

It's not crosses getting slung in from wide that would worry me, it's runners cutting in from wide.

Rolee said:
pee dubya said:

I agree with you on what their threat is that's another reason I'd have Silva central, Yaya doesn't press enough, Gerrard would have less time on the ball with tenacious Dave snapping around him.

It's not crosses getting slung in from wide that would worry me, it's runners cutting in from wide.
With less responsibility going back the way i'd hope Yaya would be more capable of pressing high up the pitch, although it's definitely not his forte. Silva would also still be around and central in the moments after we lose the ball and are most vulnerable to a longer pass, he'd only drop back out wider when Liverpool have a period of possession.

But then they would be cutting into the area where we should have numbers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.