Javi Garcia

what does he do and what does he bring to our team. i can say what yaya vinny in fact all of last years players but what is it he actually does?

watching the game last night against fulham, I couldnt tell he was playing for about 30 minutes. the guy might be good from corners but he goes missing way to often and hes nowhere near barrys level in terms of positioning. IMO although i dont rate milner i think he'd slot in better than garcia, a midfield engine.

also while im at it, clichy has been pretty horrible going forward so far this season, i think kolarov deserves to be first choice at the moment because hes far better going forward, from set pieces and his defensive work has improved out of sight. I think he'll start the rest of the champions league games other than maybe real at home.

taggeddogga said:
watching the game last night against fulham, I couldnt tell he was playing for about 30 minutes. the guy might be good from corners but he goes missing way to often and hes nowhere near barrys level in terms of positioning. IMO although i dont rate milner i think he'd slot in better than garcia, a midfield engine.

also while im at it, clichy has been pretty horrible going forward so far this season, i think kolarov deserves to be first choice at the moment because hes far better going forward, from set pieces and his defensive work has improved out of sight. I think he'll start the rest of the champions league games other than maybe real at home.
Kolarov will never be better then Clichy, never. If Kolarov starts ahead of Clichy in any game it´s because of two reasons
1. To give Clichy a rest
2. To keep Kolarov happy by letting him play a few games and making him feel involved.

As fair as Garcia he has done a decent job, expected more tbh but he still finding his feet I guess. I thought Barry had one of his weaker games today particulary in the first half.

taggeddogga said:

I'd agree that he does seem like he goes missing for large parts of the game, but if you watch him and only him you'll notice part of this is due to the role he plays in the team. Short passing in the midfield and good defensive positioning when we lose it.

From what I've seen so far there's not enough to make a complete judgement just yet, but there a few things I feel can be commented on:

1) He plays diagonal, long balls better than Nige did.
2) He isn't quite as aggressive at closing down as Nige was in the midfield; this could be due to Mancini's instructions however. Hopefully now that we've got a win at Craven Cottage there'll be less sitting deep ala Arsenal and more pressing.
3) He doesn't get forward -> someone mentioned above that they see him as able to fill in for Yaya. I don't, he doesn't have the pace and power with the ball at his feet to make those barnstorming runs from midfield.
4) With Gareth back in the team he allows Yaya more freedom to go forward. Hopefully this means Yaya will form the point of the triangle where I believe most of us see him as most effective, with Gaz and Javi behind him recycling possession.

So, jury's obviously still out but he certainly seems like a straight swap for Nige with the few differences in playing style. Hopefully this will unleash Yaya further forward more often and see Javi playing deep alongside Gaz who's a better distributor of the ball. Would still have loved the addition of DDR in the summer; or someone at least who's more capable of creating from deep.

Where Rodwell can make his mark remians to be seen...

Harlequin said:
taggeddogga said:

I'd agree that he does seem like he goes missing for large parts of the game, but if you watch him and only him you'll notice part of this is due to the role he plays in the team. Short passing in the midfield and good defensive positioning when we lose it.

From what I've seen so far there's not enough to make a complete judgement just yet, but there a few things I feel can be commented on:

1) He plays diagonal, long balls better than Nige did.
2) He isn't quite as aggressive at closing down as Nige was in the midfield; this could be due to Mancini's instructions however. Hopefully now that we've got a win at Craven Cottage there'll be less sitting deep ala Arsenal and more pressing.
3) He doesn't get forward -> someone mentioned above that they see him as able to fill in for Yaya. I don't, he doesn't have the pace and power with the ball at his feet to make those barnstorming runs from midfield.
4) With Gareth back in the team he allows Yaya more freedom to go forward. Hopefully this means Yaya will form the point of the triangle where I believe most of us see him as most effective, with Gaz and Javi behind him recycling possession.

So, jury's obviously still out but he certainly seems like a straight swap for Nige with the few differences in playing style. Hopefully this will unleash Yaya further forward more often and see Javi playing deep alongside Gaz who's a better distributor of the ball. Would still have loved the addition of DDR in the summer; or someone at least who's more capable of creating from deep.

Where Rodwell can make his mark remians to be seen...

Yaya is not suited to play an attacking playmaker's position. He is not creative enough in a conjested area. He cannot work effectively unless he has a plenty of space in front of him.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtucue_javi-garcia_sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtucue ... rcia_sport</a>

Having watched Javi Garcia in all the games he has played so far, this is the kind of crucial tackle that I see him make on a regular basis. He is more physical than de jong and much better in the air. But the big disappointment in his game, is that he is rather slow and may need to learn better defensive positioning to be able to adapt to the pace of the English game. But I am very happy with him as a player. I think he will improve to be a defensive midfield stalwart for us.

I think he needs to be out of the firing line and eased into it much like david was when he joined. He struggles to cover up spaces left when out full backs get forward.

cordonbleu said:
Yaya is not suited to play an attacking playmaker's position. He is not creative enough in a conjested area. He cannot work effectively unless he has a plenty of space in front of him.

Don't agree with that at all. Yaya is probably one of the most technically gifted players in the squad.

cordonbleu said:

Who said anything about it being a playmakers position? I think Yaya's thoroughly proven that when he operates further up the pitch as a 'wrecking ball' he creates havoc in the opposing defence. With Nasri or Silva (or both) on the pitch either side of him there's still plenty of attacking impetus in the team. The central position doesn't have to be tactically nailed on as the creative 'no. 10' for every fixture.

Yaya doesn't have to operate in this position all the time, but it was our Plan B for most of last year when we hit 70 minutes and hadn't opened up a lead. I'd like to see it become Plan A a little more often this year.

I'd agree he works best with space in front of him, and there's no reason he can't find this space between the midfield and attack.

As for his ability in tight area, I's say about eight times out of ten Yaya holds the ball and is able to turn his man purely due to his physicality.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.