Javi Garcia

OB1 said:
Brewster's millions said:
... but he still struggles to get hold of the ball. Barry copped a load of flak against Everton for his passing, but at least he had the ball in the first place, whereas the game seemed to pass Garcia by.

You do realise that only two City players and no Everton players had more touches of the ball than Garcia at Everton and that Barry was not one of those players? In fact Barry had 27 fewer touches of the ball than Garcia.

With respect, anyone can stand in their own half making making ten yard passes to and from the centre halves when we're one nil down - it is a bit of a pet hate of mine, but I think a lot of these statistics on touches and passes are pretty meaningless.

We were overrun in midfield on Saturday - obviously a team issue rather than a single individual - but I can't really remember Garcia getting that involved to be honest.

OB1 said:
... but he still struggles to get hold of the ball. Barry copped a load of flak against Everton for his passing, but at least he had the ball in the first place, whereas the game seemed to pass Garcia by.

You do realise that only two City players and no Everton players had more touches of the ball than Garcia at Everton and that Barry was not one of those players? In fact Barry had 27 fewer touches of the ball than Garcia.

With respect, anyone can stand in their own half making making ten yard passes to and from the centre halves when we're one nil down - it is a bit of a pet hate of mine, but I think a lot of these statistics on touches and passes are pretty meaningless.

We were overrun in midfield on Saturday - obviously a team issue rather than a single individual - but I can't really remember Garcia getting that involved to be honest.

Well, what you can remember and what actually happened are not the same thing when it comes to Garcia.

OB1 said:
OB1 said:

Well, what you can remember and what actually happened are not the same thing when it comes to Garcia.

Of course, the 27 more touches of the ball than Barry being the conclusive proof of this.

OB1 said:

That's his role. You're relying on all 7 of your attacking players to "get involved". He distributes reliably and covers for the wandering full backs. He's pretty good at what he's meant to do.

The real question is - are we happy to have any player in the team playing the conservative role he does?

while hes in a blue shirt he will get my support but common lets be honest hes garbage, de jong was twice the player garcia is.

NQCitizen said:
OB1 said:

That's his role. You're relying on all 7 of your attacking players to "get involved". He distributes reliably and covers for the wandering full backs. He's pretty good at what he's meant to do.

The real question is - are we happy to have any player in the team playing the conservative role he does?

I take your point about the other 7 players getting involved, but I still think that he should show more dominance in his position, and a lack of mobility (at least in his first months at the club) probably hurts him here.

As regards the conservative role he plays, he's most likely under instructions from Mancini to just keep things simple and stay in his position, but it does contribute to the lack of fluidity of the side. Having a player with better passing or who arrives from deep could help break teams down, but that doesn't appear to be an option at present, and I would question whether the guy has got the engine to do the job anyway.

The bottom line, I think, is that a lot of players can do an OK job in his position, but there are very few that excel at it and who can make a difference to both defence and attack.

NQCitizen said:

The real question is, is the manager happy with the role he plays and at the moment as he starts most games i would say yes.

He looks comfortable with his role more and more and if it allows the full backs to attack as Mancini likes then how can he be slagged of. He is not a Gerrard or anything like that, but he understands his role in the team.

Playing Garcia allows our centre halves to defend wider, because he slots in to an almost back three. You dont ever want your centre halves to become isolated and that means over 15 yards from each other, so if one goes and covers Garcia can fill the gap in the middle.

The thing most people dont understand is that you dont need to be Usain Bolt to play his role, you need intelligence and reading of the game

But i think this will be the last post i support him on this thread because im wasting my time trying to convince numpties he is a very good footballer rated as being good enough to be in the Spanish squad

Rascal said:
NQCitizen said:

The real question is, is the manager happy with the role he plays and at the moment as he starts most games i would say yes.

He looks comfortable with his role more and more and if it allows the full backs to attack as Mancini likes then how can he be slagged of. He is not a Gerrard or anything like that, but he understands his role in the team.

Playing Garcia allows our centre halves to defend wider, because he slots in to an almost back three. You dont ever want your centre halves to become isolated and that means over 15 yards from each other, so if one goes and covers Garcia can fill the gap in the middle.

The thing most people dont understand is that you dont need to be Usain Bolt to play his role, you need intelligence and reading of the game

But i think this will be the last post i support him on this thread because im wasting my time trying to convince numpties he is a very good footballer rated as being good enough to be in the Spanish squad

I completely agree. I see Javi as our third most reliable player right now and excellent at the role he fills. He directs the whole back line, makes crucial interceptions and is always in the right place for an out ball.

He does the unnoticed things so well.

I think he's a massive asset to the team and as he has settled into being a rock for us and can see him starting for years to come.

I agree too!

One of our best players at the moment. Playing consistently at a very high level. A pity his early injury problems slowed his adaptation. But next season he will be a big asset. I don't think there's a better player in the Premiership in his position.

Not a David Silva, but he allows him to play. Tackles, reads the game brilliantly, good passer. great in the air. Good stamina.

Only criticism I have is not about his game, but I don't really like it when he and Barry play together. Their games aren't identical, but I'd prefer just one player in that anchor role.

When you look at our squad, it's really strong defensively, and in midfield. We need two types of player in the Summer - a wide man, and a forward. That's gettable I think, and do that and we'll be back in business again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.