Jay Slater (missing kid in Tenerife)

Apparently there are 5200 "long term missing" people in the UK.
So it's only newsworthy when it is abroad?
Well it adds to the intrigue. Some stories just pique the interest of people more than others, especially when it’s sold as something very much out of the ordinary, which may or may not be the case here, which further adds an air of mystery.

I lived there from 94 until around 2007 full time and the late 90s early 2000s were in the midst of the timeshare wars where quite a lot of naughtiness was taking place. I’m on the mainland these days but still have a place there where I head for a few days 5/6 times a year.
It’s nowhere near as bad as it was but like everywhere there’s an undercurrent below the surface that’s best avoided.
Every tourist hotspot has major drug networks working there and being so close to Africa there’s plenty of ways to get stuff in with most traffickers coming from places where life is cheap and they don’t fear any consequences from the authorities.
There’s a lot of places to get lost in and around the hills of Tenerife.
Quite apt! I’ve just been listening to a podcast on the BBC called Gangster. It’s season 3 and about a guy called John Palmer who made his fortune in Timeshares in Tenerife about 2000. It resonated with me as I used to holiday there a lot around that era. It was centralised around Bobbys bar which I used to visit regularly on the Veronicas strip of Las Americas . Joe Quaronta used to own it who was in Celeb Big Brother. It’s a good listen about 6 episodes

Apologies I’m slowly reading through the thread and someone has beat me to it ;) regarding the gangsters podcast

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.