Jimmy & Joe To Sign New Contracts

chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
This could actually be a blessing in disguise for us, as we will not HAVE to go out and buy some homegrown players

I'm sure that it won't be a blessing in disguise because I'm sure that come the summer the papers will be filled with stories about how un English City as a club is, how we are in desperate need of HG players otherwise we're going to be in trouble with UEFA, and as a consequence of this negative media attention whichever English players we choose to sign we're going to end up paying through the nose for because we'll be in no position to bargain.

This forum will then erupt in indignation at how we've overpaid and Txiki/Pellegrini don't know what they're doing etc.

Well i suppose the other option would be to keep hold of a Northern bloke that simply isn't good enough, just to fill the quota?

We've never brought any real quality from these shores, arguably because not many of them are good enough, but we will have to take a punt on a couple at some point

My take is we were probably hoping Milner would sign a new deal as it would save them spending any money on other homegrown players that probably aren't good enough, not down to the fact they see Milner as a valuable member of the squad. I think he's seen right through that and told us to fuck off, fair play to him, he isn't as daft as he looks.

If the club didn't value Milner as a very valuable member of the squad he wouldn't have played the football he's played since Pellegrini came in. It's laughable to even suggest the club don't rate him. If they didn't they'd have fucked him off years ago. They wouldn't be offering him a new contract. Pellegrini kept him, played him, and has continued to play him even though Milner is taking the piss out of the club and lying through his teeth to media.

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
I'm sure that it won't be a blessing in disguise because I'm sure that come the summer the papers will be filled with stories about how un English City as a club is, how we are in desperate need of HG players otherwise we're going to be in trouble with UEFA, and as a consequence of this negative media attention whichever English players we choose to sign we're going to end up paying through the nose for because we'll be in no position to bargain.

This forum will then erupt in indignation at how we've overpaid and Txiki/Pellegrini don't know what they're doing etc.

Well i suppose the other option would be to keep hold of a Northern bloke that simply isn't good enough, just to fill the quota?

We've never brought any real quality from these shores, arguably because not many of them are good enough, but we will have to take a punt on a couple at some point

My take is we were probably hoping Milner would sign a new deal as it would save them spending any money on other homegrown players that probably aren't good enough, not down to the fact they see Milner as a valuable member of the squad. I think he's seen right through that and told us to fuck off, fair play to him, he isn't as daft as he looks.

If the club didn't value Milner as a very valuable member of the squad he wouldn't have played the football he's played since Pellegrini came in. It's laughable to even suggest the club don't rate him. If they didn't they'd have fucked him off years ago. They wouldn't be offering him a new contract. Pellegrini kept him, played him, and has continued to play him even though Milner is taking the piss out of the club and lying through his teeth to media.
well he is from Yorkshire after all is said and done

I must be missing something because I've read the article twice and cannot find anything that justifies accusations of him being two faced or speaking in forked tongues.

"For Milner, however, the financial package is not going to determine where and when he signs his next deal...

The burning issue, in his eyes, is what happens on the pitch over the next few years. He turned 29 this month and wants to be playing every week...

there is no escaping the fact that he is frustrated with the amount of playing time that he has had under the Chilean and Roberto Mancini before that...

it is hard to see how City can satisfy Milner’s desire to be starting more matches."

This is all stuff that we've known about for some time. The only thing that seems to be new is the claim that he's had offers from abroad. Nowhere in the report is there anything that suggests that Milner has changed his position from what has previously been reported.

cibaman said:
I must be missing something because I've read the article twice and cannot find anything that justifies accusations of him being two faced or speaking in forked tongues.

"For Milner, however, the financial package is not going to determine where and when he signs his next deal...

The burning issue, in his eyes, is what happens on the pitch over the next few years. He turned 29 this month and wants to be playing every week...

there is no escaping the fact that he is frustrated with the amount of playing time that he has had under the Chilean and Roberto Mancini before that...

it is hard to see how City can satisfy Milner’s desire to be starting more matches."

This is all stuff that we've known about for some time. The only thing that seems to be new is the claim that he's had offers from abroad. Nowhere in the report is there anything that suggests that Milner has changed his position from what has previously been reported.

That article is claiming there's an impasse. What is the impasse about? The amount of playing time someone gets isn't determined by negotiations over a contract. The only conclusion I can draw is that it is financial otherwise wtf have they been negotiating about?

cibaman said:

Try telling that to the haters mate. They've already hung, drawn, and quartered Milner in classic Bluemoon lynch-mob style and he's not even out the fucking door yet!

James Milner should do what's best for James Milner, and if that involves stringing people along for a bit then so fucking what? I'd expect City to do exactly the same thing if it was in their own best interests. There's no loyalty on either side of the fence in football, and if Milner wanted to get more game time AND run down his contract to get a big signing-on fee then fair play to him, he's achieved it.

The only people to blame here are the ones who didn't get this all wrapped up one way or the other 18+ months ago, but I suspect that's because it wasn't in their best interests to do so back then. They hedged their bets and lost. Tough shit. Let's move on.

Dubai Blue said:
James Milner should do what's best for James Milner, and if that involves stringing people along for a bit then so fucking what? I'd expect City to do exactly the same thing if it was in their own best interests. There's no loyalty on either side of the fence in football, and if Milner wanted to get more game time AND run down his contract to get a big signing-on fee then fair play to him, he's achieved it.

The only people to blame here are the ones who didn't get this all wrapped up one way or the other 18+ months ago, but I suspect that's because it wasn't in their best interests to do so back then. They hedged their bets and lost. Tough shit. Let's move on.

Great post.

Mister Appointment said:
KnaresboroughBlue said:
Milner should do whatever is best for Milner, just as City will do whatever is best for City. If the two things coincide, then he'll sign a new contract. If not, he'll leave.

Clubs dispense with players when they no longer think they are the right player for the club and nobody accuses the club of being disloyal to the player. Likewise players leave when staying at the club is no longer in their best interests.

That's how it is with every player and I don't see why it should be any different for Milner.

All good and well. But then Jimmy should've been honest with the club last summer about what he wanted to do rather than speaking in forked tongues about playing time and the rest when the truth was he had already made up his mind to leave.

The rules are the same for everyone yet how many free transfers occur in the premier league each season? 10? 20? Or less? That should give you some insight into how 'regular' what is currently going on with Milner actually is.

I have no idea how honest he has been and suspect you don't either.

Playing time possibly is an issue still despite what has happened this year. I suspect Milner is well aware that with a fully fit squad and further signings probable, he is likely to be back on the bench. He is behind The 2 Ferns and Toure for the middle positions and behind Navas, Nasri, Silva for the more attacking/wide positions and as we often only play with 2 up from, his future playing time doesn't look all that promising.

Ultimately it's a job/career and like everyone else he will do whatever he feels in in his best interests, just as no doubt you would do in your career.

Dubai Blue said:

Hallelujah. There's very little loyalty in football these days and clubs can be just as ruthless as players when it suits. Yet there are posters on here that think Milner should put the club first before himself which is absolute fucking bollocks. Ideally I want him to stay and we all live happily ever after but as Brian Potter put it, "I want a moonwalk son but life's a shithouse".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.