Jimmy & Joe To Sign New Contracts

Mister Appointment said:
I can't buy into the "he's just looking out for himself nothing wrong with that" narrative. Sorry lads. I can't see past what's best for City and I can't bring myself to be so cynical as to applaud any player who pulls a fast one on the club to get a pay day somewhere else.

We all want what's best for City but most of us are realistic enough to know that in the cut-throat world of the football industry the profession is full of people that put their own interests first. As far as I'm concerned, as long as a player puts in maximum effort while they're contracted to us then that's all we can realistically expect in the modern-day game. Anything else, such as the way Kompany and Zabaleta in particular have embraced the club, is a welcome bonus. In an ideal world, every player would be like that but it's far from an ideal world.

Milner has no loyalty to this club, that much is obvious, otherwise he'd have signed the contract offered in the off-season and told the club he wants to be sold. That's the respectful thing to do.

If he really cared about game time, and based on the article that's been copied and pasted from the Guardian, the foreseeable game time that he'll have (which is most likely a reduction on his minutes), then you have to wonder, why did he not foresee this before and only now when the narrative has changed and the pressure is on him to sign does he grasp onto what will happen in the future as an excuse not to sign?

From what i can interpret, he's not a man of his word and City, arguably naive, have taken into his persona that's been carved out for him.

Milner looks after Milner, but that doesn't mean what he's doing is right.

chris85mcfc said:
Dubai Blue said:
James Milner should do what's best for James Milner, and if that involves stringing people along for a bit then so fucking what? I'd expect City to do exactly the same thing if it was in their own best interests. There's no loyalty on either side of the fence in football, and if Milner wanted to get more game time AND run down his contract to get a big signing-on fee then fair play to him, he's achieved it.

The only people to blame here are the ones who didn't get this all wrapped up one way or the other 18+ months ago, but I suspect that's because it wasn't in their best interests to do so back then. They hedged their bets and lost. Tough shit. Let's move on.

Great post.

No it's not, it's a totally rubbish post.

If Milner wants to leave, fucking well man up and say so. It's not like the club have shafted him in any way, and trying to fuck us over is completely and utterly bang out of order. And dragging this on and on and on until he can leave on a free is, make no mistake, fucking us over.

M18CTID said:
KnaresboroughBlue said:
Dubai Blue said:
James Milner should do what's best for James Milner, and if that involves stringing people along for a bit then so fucking what? I'd expect City to do exactly the same thing if it was in their own best interests. There's no loyalty on either side of the fence in football, and if Milner wanted to get more game time AND run down his contract to get a big signing-on fee then fair play to him, he's achieved it.

The only people to blame here are the ones who didn't get this all wrapped up one way or the other 18+ months ago, but I suspect that's because it wasn't in their best interests to do so back then. They hedged their bets and lost. Tough shit. Let's move on.

Good post. It amazes me that people seem to demand loyalty from players but are happy enough when clubs dump unwanted players whenever they wish.

Exactly. This loyalty shit works both ways.

Perhaps you should support Liverpool. They are a very loyal, close knit club, so they lead us to believe every 5 minutes.

Chippy_boy said:
chris85mcfc said:
Dubai Blue said:

Great post.

If Milner wants to leave, fucking well man up and say so. It's not like the club have shafted him in any way, and trying to fuck us over is completely and utterly bang out of order. And dragging this on and on and on until he can leave on a free is, make no mistake, fucking us over.

Tough, the club have left themselves in this position. If you're happy for the club to let one of our assets go into the last 12 months of his contract with everything up in the air then that's what you've got, and this is now the fall out.

I've said time and time again, once you leave it open in a players last year then the club lose all bargaining chips.

This 'the club took his word for it' is beyond stupidity. We're talking multi million pound contracts, since when do you just take someones word for it.

Chippy_boy said:
chris85mcfc said:
Dubai Blue said:

Great post.

Maybe he doesn't want to leave and is still in negotiations.

He hasn't fucked us over in any way. He signed a contract and has honoured it. It's up to the club and the player to reach an agreement. If they can't, he goes and plies his trade elsewhere just like everyone else.

However, if he did want to leave, he would be rather foolish to sign a new contract and then be sold as he would make considerably less out of doing that than he would leaving on a free.

KnaresboroughBlue said:
Chippy_boy said:
chris85mcfc said:
Great post.

Maybe he doesn't want to leave and is still in negotiations.

He hasn't fucked us over in any way. He signed a contract and has honoured it. It's up to the club and the player to reach an agreement. If they can't, he goes and plies his trade elsewhere just like everyone else.

However, if he did want to leave, he would be rather foolish to sign a new contract and then be sold as he would make considerably less out of doing that than he would leaving on a free.

It really is this fucking simple

chris85mcfc said:
Chippy_boy said:
chris85mcfc said:
Great post.

Tough, the club have left themselves in this position. If you're happy for the club to let one of our assets go into the last 12 months of his contract with everything up in the air then that's what you've got, and this is now the fall out.

I've said time and time again, once you leave it open in a players last year then the club lose all bargaining chips.

This 'the club took his word for it' is beyond stupidity. We're talking multi million pound contracts, since when do you just take someones word for it.

I agree the club were stupid mate, but that doesn't justify someone shafting them - I think your logic is flawed there.

It might explain the situation, but it goes nowhere in terms of justifying Milners actions as being "OK". If you go out and leave your house unlocked, burglary is not perfectly acceptable.

Lots of naive bollox in this thread. The idea that a player has some moral obligation to sign a contract to allow a club to sell them for a fee is complete balls, only a moron would do that (let a club take a £m’s fee that you could take yourself – for loyalty - balls). Clubs and players know how this works and like I said before if we really wanted JM tied up 18mths ago we could have done it, for whatever reason we didn’t. If he was stalling we could have threatened the freeze out treatment but that is lose / lose, he has played well for us this year, we could of tried to force him out but there might have been no offers worth taking. If we want him next year all we have to do is offer him the best deal. There is no loyalty on either side, both parties are playing their cards as they see fit at any given time. Jumping to an assumption that this all boils down to him having no loyalty and trying to fleece us is a very narrow minded view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.