Joanna Yeates - Student murdered

mackenzie said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
No,I wouldn't.
And it has nothing whatsoever with being a 'better man'.
It is everything to do with believing in the rule of law,and the presumption of innocence until guilt is established.
Because that is what reasonable,sane folk do.

I agree.

And I'd even go so far to suggest that whilst a person can "imagine" what they would do in those circumstances, the truth may be very different.

Most parents that I have seen go through something like this (and it happened to my friend's parents) looked incapable of any action at all and the one major thing that seemed to surround them was simply a sense of desolation. They were barely able to function day to day nevermind anything else.

It's worth asking the question in light of all this posturing from some on this forum, how often have grieving parents killed the guy 'that did it' ? I can't think of one I can recall which would suggest that most people in this situation are too consumed with grief to act as some are claiming they would on here

Pigeonho said:
softlad said:
A question for you johnsonontheleft/de niro

If you had 2 kids, one who was murdered and one who wasnt would you be willing to lose 20+ years with the kid who remained just to satisfy your bloodlust?

Its not a dig, just interested to know your thoughts.....
Very good question this. Before I answer it though I can't see why people are having a dig at De Niro with the 'hardman' posts, but stupid that.
Anyway, back to the question. Put Mr Wells, Mr Chapman, Mr Yeates et al in a room just 5 minutes after they discover who butchered, raped, strangled and discarded the body of their daughter, and I bet you that thoughts of consequences would go out of the window, and that instinct to exact revenge would come flooding out. I have 2 kids and a step child, and if anything happened to either of them and I either caught the person doing it or had the chance to exact revenge whilst the anger was still raw, I know for a fact I wouldn't control myself and that those 5 minutes of beating, stabbing, slitting, kicking and basically ravaging the shit out of him/her would be the 'best' 5 minutes ever.

And I think this goes a long way to showing why we have the legal system in place that we do.

Why should someone elses wrongdoing turn you into a murderer/criminal?

I appreciate the punishment doesnt fit the crime at this stage, prisons and sentences need to be tougher and harded. More needs to be paid back to the community.

But as someone once said "if you take and eye for an eye the whole world would be blind".....

As a bit of an aside, the pub she left on that Friday is my local, and I was in there for a pint that night. Bit of a haunting thought really......

That is one terrible advert for Waterstones

article-1342427-0C9A11FA000005DC-276_306x840.jpg

What's the saying? Don't judge a book by it's cover? Well this one says 'I'm a creepy transexual looking cold hearted sex killer' on the cover and I'm expecting it to read along the same lines.

Guilty by appearance alone surely.

I've never been able to fully comprehend the arguement against capital punishment especially when the following points are always raised by those who oppose it (capital punishment):
"violence breeds violence" bollocks. No it does not.
"they could convict the wrong person" unequivocally have the guilty party bang to rights
"It isn't civilized" neither is murdering someone, as someone has already posted, an eye for an eye ... is it such a bad thing?

BLUENATIC said:
I've never been able to fully comprehend the arguement against capital punishment especially when the following points are always raised by those who oppose it (capital punishment):
"they could convict the wrong person" unequivocally have the guilty party bang to rights"It isn't civilized" neither is murdering someone, as someone has already posted, an eye for an eye ... is it such a bad thing?

What like the Guildford 4? Didnt the judge in that case say that he wanted them tried for treason against the crown so he could hang them? Look what happened there.....

Regardless of what happens, there will always be miscarriages of justice, bent coppers, technology unavailable that can disprove a allegation.

How would you feel if you were on a Jury who sentenced someone to death, only to later find out they were innocent?

Sentences need to be harder and tougher, but there is always the oppurtunity to reverse that sentence. Once someone is dead, thats it.

softlad said:
BLUENATIC said:
"they could convict the wrong person" unequivocally have the guilty party bang to rights"It isn't civilized" neither is murdering someone, as someone has already posted, an eye for an eye ... is it such a bad thing?

What like the Guildford 4? Didnt the judge in that case say that he wanted them tried for treason against the crown so he could hang them? Look what happened there.....

Regardless of what happens, there will always be miscarriages of justice, bent coppers, technology unavailable that can disprove a allegation.

How would you feel if you were on a Jury who sentenced someone to death, only to later find out they were innocent?

Sentences need to be harder and tougher, but there is always the oppurtunity to reverse that sentence. Once someone is dead, thats it.

Yeah that's one bent,fucked up corrupt conviction you mention .... I'm saying with irrefutable evidence. Perhaps there needs to be a reform of the judiciary system anyway to eradicate the corruption that still goes on

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.