Joao Neves

LOL. Even the most ardent of Marseille fans (I work with a few & my FiL is one) wouldn't claim that this is 'a decent Marseille side'.

I'd reserve judgement on anyone from a any side that only beat them 2-1 (for the above reasons, I had an eye on last night's game, and wasn't overly impressed).
It’s not the best Marseille side, true, but it was decent enough to have taken Benfica the distance on the night and an upgrade on the Rangers side they met in the previous round. That was all I meant.

Having had both eyes on the game, I would say Neves played well. He always made himself available in central midfield and kept Benfica moving with his accurate passing, both feet and often first-time. He was also instrumental in driving the side forward, especially in the first-half when he split the lines with forward passes and then made deep runs in support. He also slotted into the back line to stretch play and into left-back when Aursnes moved forward, so he can clearly understand bigger pictures on the pitch.

As I said, this was a decent Marseille side and one that offered a different challenge to Rangers. Both of those games were in appalling conditions and the ball was often played long, which is where his lack of height becomes an issue; Rodri can attack balls in the air and that allows our central defenders to sweep. Neves doesn’t shirk from physical challenges, though, and sat a number of Marseille players on their derrières with his hips (like Doku) and low centre of gravity. Whether he has the lung power to chase back is something I have yet to see, but the football intelligence is certainly in place.

The asking price seems a lot, granted, but those who raised concerns when Gvardiol was signed would now accept that you pay for the elite.

max. £40m but even then we should decline...he`s another Gestifute/Mendes player & we should be less depended from one agency....Ederson,Diaz,Nunes,Bernardo,Cancelo are enough

i just can’t see us spending the money on Neves or Bruno G
I’m also very wary of Mendes PR with this one

I think he’s the next big thing. Or certainly one of the next generation that will be top top players.

It’s about his next move. If he goes to Chelsea or the rags it wouldn’t be good for him. He could have great individual performances but as a whole his game would regress. Also would be difficult for him to then leave after only a few years.

Coming here there is going to be great competition and he has to take his chances. He’d be surrounded by the best and then just had to apply himself (like Phillips couldn’t)

Do we pay 100 for him, im unsure. His potential is worth it in this mess of a market but we are very shrewd and know the ramifications of spending big.

For give them Perrone in return
Is he better than Perrone? Who's done it in Argentina and now performing to a good standard in Spain...

I'm always wary of the next flavour of the month / Benfica gem as for every Bernardo or Ruben Dias you get a Nunez, Renato Sanches or João Felix. Decent players but not world class or good enough for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.