Joe Hart (continued)

heslops barnet said:
bluethrunthru said:
all the fucking armchair experts on here FFS !! How is Joe Englands number one when there are dozens of plainly better keepers on Bluemoon ??

Its keepers call and straight out of the coaching manual is come out and narrow the angle which he did. Whether you do the Schmeichel spread yourself or dive head first at the ball Joe did right and Alves just nutmegged him - always a chance of that happening but let it rest this is not a goal thats down to Joe Hart - look at Lescott just jogging over to Neymar or Clichy letting Alves run - piss poor defending - nodding off in the last few seconds thats what cost us dear.

England's number one because there's no competition for him
The other way of looking at that is that he's better than the rest. It's a glass half empty or half full situation.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
worsleyweb said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Why have Monaco decided not to pay him £200k a week now then

Exactly that. I was told about valdes 5 months ago. He will be in our net next season IMO.

Does not compute

Then again you are well known for your nailed on Richards to Liverpool rumour

I was told we were going to go heavily for Valdes a few months ago. I asked again a few weeks ago and was told it was still possible and then I read today that we are strongly linked to him. Hence my opinion that he will be our keeper next season. How does that not compute??? Richards was arsenal mate. Doubt they would want him now. Shame I was hoping it would be a big season for him. As for joe - I think to win the champions league we need a better keeper. I think he is very good but not in valdes's class.

worsleyweb said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
worsleyweb said:
Exactly that. I was told about valdes 5 months ago. He will be in our net next season IMO.

Does not compute

Then again you are well known for your nailed on Richards to Liverpool rumour

I was told we were going to go heavily for Valdes a few months ago. I asked again a few weeks ago and was told it was still possible and then I read today that we are strongly linked to him. Hence my opinion that he will be our keeper next season. How does that not compute??? Richards was arsenal mate. Doubt they would want him now. Shame I was hoping it would be a big season for him. As for joe - I think to win the champions league we need a better keeper. I think he is very good but not in valdes's class.

Who did you ask ?......a pm would suffice.

Joe Hart: Man City goalkeeper says he accepts being dropped

Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart says he had to be "man enough" to cope with being dropped last year.
The England international lost his place to Costel Pantilimon after a string of high-profile errors before being recalled in December.
Pantilimon has played in most of City's League Cup and FA Cup ties this season.
"You have to be able to accept when you are playing or not," Hart, 26, told Football Focus ahead of Sunday's League Cup final against Sunderland.
"After being dropped I just did what I always did - I went and trained hard and listened to what the manager had to say and knuckled down and got on with my job to the best of my ability.
"When managers have got decisions to make, whether it benefits me or not, I have to be man enough to take it.
"I work hard every day to win and I understand it doesn't always go my way and you have to move forward."
Hart is not certain to play against Sunderland at Wembley on Sunday, with Pantilimon between the posts for all but one of their League Cup games this season.
"It is for the manager to decide. Costel has played most of the games and done well and played brilliant and not conceded a goal," he added.
"It is a squad game, which I am learning more and more as I get older and the more and more I am involved in such a great side and squad.
"The manager is making a lot of good decisions at the moment and whether it is myself or Costel, we will play our hearts out for the team to get the result."

But.. but.. people on here said he was an arrogant prick who believes his own hype this can't be the right interview...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusive/2014/03/05/4662700/hart-cant-make-any-more-mistakes-shilton-urges-further?ICID=HP_BN_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusi ... ID=HP_BN_1</a>
Thought I'd post this, interesting:
When England host Denmark at Wembley on Wednesday evening, three days after watching Manchester City claim the first trophy of the Manuel Pellegrini era from the bench, Joe Hart is again unlikely to feature.

Four months ago it is a situation which would have been interpreted as the latest blow in a dramatic and public crisis of confidence. Now it is merely a sign of his renewed status as undisputed No.1 for club and country.

Relegated to the position of cup goalkeeper by Pellegrini after a humiliating last-minute mistake against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in October, Hart had to re-focus himself and work hard to regain the trust of his manager as he watched Costel Pantilimon, the giant Romanian brought to the Etihad Stadium for just £3 million from Politehnica Timisoara in the summer of 2011, given his chance to impress between the sticks.

Media hysteria ensued at the thought of Roy Hodgson being forced to turn his back on England's outstanding goalkeeper for the tournament that will define his legacy. But Hart picked himself up, dusted himself off and fought his way back to the heart of a City side chasing an unprecedented domestic treble, conceding just six goals and claiming four clean sheets in the eight matches he has started in 2014.

Hart's swift comeback has impressed and relieved many - not least Peter Shilton, one of England's greatest ever goalkeepers and still the national side's most capped player.

HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST?

JOE HART'S PL SEASON SO FAR

GAMES PLAYED 19
GOALS CONCEDED 20
CLEAN SHEETS 7
GAMES WON 13
GAMES LOST 4
SHOTS ON TARGET FACED 71
SAVES 52
SAVE PERCENTAGE 71.8%
PASS ACCURACY 51%
PUNCHES 15
CATCHES 22

"I’m pleased he’s back in the [City] side and looking a lot sharper," Shilton tells Goal. "I don’t know why he had such a bad dip in form. He did rise to the top very quickly, but it was quite a dramatic dip in form which is always a bit worrying. But he’s got things back on track and, from his point of view, he’s just got to make sure he’s ultra-consistent for England and doesn’t make any more mistakes.

"It’s encouraging that he’s back to the form we knew but he’s got to build on that. You can have one or two games where you’re not 100 per cent but [his slump] was over a period of months, which was worrying."

No one in football is immune to criticism, but the lot of a goalkeeper is harsher than most. Their work is constant yet they are judged almost entirely on moments, many of which arise from the mistakes of others. But the last mistake is invariably the most memorable, and the man between the posts is, by nature, the last line of defence.

It is an unforgiving environment but top goalkeepers have never been men who look for excuses, and Shilton is happy that Hart has not sought the easy option in his moments of sombre reflection.

"Unfortunately it’s the name of the game and always has been," he insists.

"It’s something you have to put up with. I used to say to Gary Lineker, ‘You could miss five and score one and be a hero, whereas I could make five saves, let one in and be an idiot’.

"You saw it in the 1970s when Peter Bonetti came in for Gordon Banks and was blamed for the loss to West Germany in the quarter-finals in Mexico [in the 1970 World Cup], as well as Gary Sprake making mistakes for the great Leeds United team of that era.

“All goalkeepers make mistakes, but the best ones make fewer.”
- Peter Shilton

"People still go back to a goal I conceded in 1973 against Poland, although I played against them many times afterwards and had a blinder when we qualified for Italia 90.

"All goalkeepers make mistakes, but the best ones make fewer."

Fitness permitting, Hart is now guaranteed to make his World Cup debut in Brazil this summer, and if England are to succeed he may well have to face the problems which have undermined them in countless previous tournaments - heat, isolation and, of course, penalties.

Hart already has experience of the latter, emerging on the losing side as the Three Lions crashed out of Euro 2012 to Italy in familiar circumstances. Hodgson is determined to avoid a similar fate this time round, employing Dr Steve Peters, the renowned psychiatrist who played a key role in the phenomenal recent success of British Cycling, to work with the players on their mindset.

But when it comes to penalties, Shilton believes there are more pressing issues for Hart to address than what goes on between his ears. "Against Barcelona [Lionel Messi in the Champions League last 16 tie at the Etihad Stadium] and against Italy [at Euro 2012 against Andrea Pirlo] the ball was put down the middle of the goal and Joe had gone very early.

"Every time you go early you leave yourself open to that. You can make up your mind where you want to go, but leave it a bit longer before committing. That way, if the ball’s mishit or played down the middle at least you’ve got a chance of re-adjusting."

Before he departs for Brazil, Hart's immediate aim will be to re-establish his reputation as one of the best goalkeepers in Europe while providing a solid foundation for City's trophy charge. Shilton believes he has work to do if he wants to be compared with the Premier League's finest once again.

"I think Petr Cech is very consistent and Chelsea are playing very well in front of him, though I’ve seen him dip in form when Chelsea haven’t been so good, and Simon Mignolet is doing well at Liverpool," the 64-year-old adds. "Cech is probably the most consistent and has been for the past few years. The fact that Joe was left out of the Manchester City team means you can’t really put him up there with those guys.

"He’s coming back to form but he’s still got a way to go to get back there. On ability he’s up there, but performance and reputation-wise he’s still got to get back to that level."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.