Joe Hart (joined Torino on season long loan - Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well only time will tell, unless Neuer comes onto the market .
Yeah... agreed. And Neuer isn't going anywhere.

It's Ter Stegan that's the main threat to Joe. TS wants to start. And there's little chance he'll ever start at Barca.

Meanwhile, Pep wants sweeper, and seemingly rates TS highly.

So unless Barca convince TS to stay - TS would have to believe that he has a good chance at being Bara's first choice keeper - I'm very skeptical of this - then TS will want to leave Barca. I don't think that wages will be an issue at all as City can match/exceed whatever Barca is willing to pay for TS's wages while offering him first shot at the number one keeper in an UCL side.

I think if Guardiola was that bothered about picking up a sweeper keeper we'd have signed Valdes on a free already.

I think if Guardiola was that bothered about picking up a sweeper keeper we'd have signed Valdes on a free already.
You may be absolutely correct.

But one thing I've learned in life.... is that people never seem to fundamentally change - at least overnight. That leads me to believe that Hart isn't going to be in squad two years hence. I might be wrong... but I doubt it.

Joe is the heartbeat of the team and one of the only remaining links with the fans. The thought of him playing against us makes my stomach turn.

He absolutely deserves the chance to establish himself under Pep.

Joe is the heartbeat of the team and one of the only remaining links with the fans. The thought of him playing against us makes my stomach turn.

He absolutely deserves the chance to establish himself under Pep.

Not for the new breed of City fan it would appear. Fifa 16 is real football to them.

Last edited:
Everybody is assuming Pep will play the exact same system he has before (which probably wasn't exactly the same tbh). He may have assessed the Premier League and decided something different is required.

Joe Hart has proved time and again that he is one of the very best 'keepers in the world. Buffon rates him in the top 3 and I'd be inclined to agree with him. De Gea is very good, and I'd be glad to see Utd weakened by him leaving, but he is essentially a very good shot stopper, as are most Spanish 'keepers who don't deal with multiple ways of bombarding the box as in other leagues. Everybody went crazy over Courtois before he'd even played a game in England and one season of turmoil at Stamford Bridge has shown him to look less unbeatable than before. Joe has been praised over and over by the very best players in the CL who were unable to find a way past him. He is quick off his line, great in 1 on 1 situations and one of the most athletic shot stoppers you'll ever see. Even behind last season's supposedly dodgy defence he still kept 15 clean sheets. The only time he looks uncertain is claiming aerial balls when playing for England and probably because that back four is appalling defensively.
It makes me laugh (and cry) when I hear people suggesting he's not even England's best 'keeper. There are one or two others around the world I'd be OK having in his place, but none I'd actually consider swapping him for.

Why are we talking about Joe Hart in the transfer thread, he is going nowhere.
Because as good a keeper Hart has been over the past year - top 10 in the world for me - he's not good on the ball.

And all of Pep's teams have featured a sweeper-keeper.

So unless Pep changes his philosophy - or unless Joe suddenly develops excellent on-the-ball skills, it's quite possible - indeed it's even likely, that Pep will seek to sign a sweeper-keeper to start next season. And if that happens, Joe should definitely leave City - he's far too good to be backup.

That said, now that ter Stegan (not that I'm a big fan of ter Stegan - he's a pretty erratic keeper for me, in spite of his excellent on-the-ball skills) seems to be off the market, I'm not sure if there's a suitable sweeper-keeper available in the current window (is Bravo available? - does Pep fancy. Schmeichal? - what about Lloris? - or maybe someone else?) Joe may be here to start the season for this reason in spite of Pep's preferences.

And who knows - best case is that Joe is here at the start of the season and develops on-the-ball skills, becoming a good-enough if not great sweeper. Indeed, Joe isn't awful on-the-ball, so this isn't beyond the pale.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.