John Carew [Merged]

Re: John Carew?

Yes please. Big, strong, difficult to knock off the ball, and has skill. Only downside are injuries but I think he's less injury prone than RSC and I rate him higher than RSC.

I've never really considered Carew before this because I thought he was happy enough at Villa, and felt he wouldn't be interested in moving to us.

Re: John Carew

PlattLaneBoy said:
Just look at Carews stats for this season. 11 goals in 26 games this season and hes had injury after injury after injury not a player i personally think city should be aiming for.

If you want to go down the statistical route, why don't we look at the city strikers this season then:
Boj 2(7) appearances for 1 league goal
Robinho 29 (1) appearances for 14 league goals
Vassell 6 (2) appearances for 1 league goal
Jo 6 (3) appearances for 1 league goal
Caicedo 9 (7) appearances for 4 goals
Evans 3 (13) appearances for 1 goal
Benjani 7(1) appearances for 1 goal
Sturridge 3(13) appearances for 4 goals
Bellamy 7(1) appearances for 2 goals.

Makes what Carew has done look alright hasn't it? If you can't see that he would be at worst a major improvement on what we currently have as 'squad players' in terms of Strikers, then you need to go get your eyes checked.

OrigamiNinja said:
I must be one of the few that likes him then? It appears that unless we are going to break the World transfer record on someone then the player must be garbage!

Carew is a real handful, he holds the ball up well and he scores goals (11 in 15 games this season)!

My only concern would be his injury record!

This. If he aint Pele he must be shit..... Personally, I rate players based on their ability rather than their name, unlike most posters on here.

Pros: Good in the air, strong, and can hold the ball up and bring other in to play,

Cons: Goal ratio isnt great (but with our midfield that not really an issue), bad injury record.

Hopefully we can rotate Carew, Boj, Sturridge and Bellamy when they inevitably pull up in training! ;)

Bart said:
Carew is contracted to 2011, so it's not his last contract year. Secondly I don't think he is keen on going to you anyway.

I don't see what the length of Carew's contract has to do with it. From my understanding, I wouldn't be suprised if MON has a smaller budget then last Summer (His summer buys haven't proved that successful overall) and that he may have to sell some players in order to buy. As for his keeness to go anywhere, who knows. He does look like he loves the club, but they are professional footballers and $$$ is what speaks volumes. I'm far from convinced he would want to come to City either, but perhaps he might like the idea of a change?? Who knows? I know that if I was a villa fan, it would be Heskey and Harewood that I'd want to see out the door before Carew went anywhere.

I was just responding to ColinBall who said he was in his last contract year.

Carew is idolised here though. He has made money all over Europe the last 10 years, and has repeatedly said he finally has found "home". I don't think an additional £ 10 k a week will do it, but hey ho we'll see.

I'd prefer RSC. Carew is a decent player alright but he is only going to be out injured more and more. RSC has had an awful injury record but I've got a feeling that he'll be fit and ready for next season and if he is IMO he's a better targetman (i.e. equal threat on his own or bring others into the game).

I can understand us getting some players with Premiership experience to beef up the squad, for example Bullard, Murphy or Greening, but surely if we are to pregress then these have to be in addition to better players than we currently have.

If we are going for a slow steady build to the top then I pity Robinho. He should only be at our club as long as we are intent on getting into the Champions League very soon. If we think that'll take 3-4 years then let the poor guy go and get someone like Eliah in his place.

I guess this summer will set our expectations and right now no one knows what to expect.

TonyM said:
I'd prefer RSC. Carew is a decent player alright but he is only going to be out injured more and more. RSC has had an awful injury record but I've got a feeling that he'll be fit and ready for next season and if he is IMO he's a better targetman (i.e. equal threat on his own or bring others into the game).

I can understand us getting some players with Premiership experience to beef up the squad, for example Bullard, Murphy or Greening, but surely if we are to pregress then these have to be in addition to better players than we currently have.

If we are going for a slow steady build to the top then I pity Robinho. He should only be at our club as long as we are intent on getting into the Champions League very soon. If we think that'll take 3-4 years then let the poor guy go and get someone like Eliah in his place.

I guess this summer will set our expectations and right now no one knows what to expect.

People with a decent head on their shoulders I think have a reasonable idea of what to expect. Lots of hype over us buying every big name in Europe, hopefully a big signing or two, but most importantly lots of deadwood out, and hopefully a good solid core coming in underneath. Of course we want to get into the CL soon, but the owners are also intent on building this club into a permanent force in the Premier League and Europe. To do that, you have no option but to take the time to do it correctly. You can't go out, spend a bunch load of money and expect to get anything but possibe short term success, followed by long term problems. The demise of Leeds united ring a bell in that respect?

I do question your ideas of players with premiership experience- Bullard is the ultimate crock going round and is probably 1 bad injury away from retirement, Greening might be a good player, but he is still part of a team that has comfortably been relegated this season, and Danny Murphy is hardly an improvement on anything we have in the middle of the park. You are exactly right though and you summed up exactly the point I am making- these players with experience need to be part of a wider group coming in, and hopefully with better players. Players like Carew in the short term may be first team players, but in the medium term (Ie say 2 years time), players of his calibre is the sort of level that the lower quality players in our squad are at. At the current time, our lower end players in the squad are currently about Championship level, and there are several that fit into that category. To make big waves, you need a quality squad with good players across the squad. T

PlattLaneBoy said:
Ye mcs EXACTLY look at all the city players this season. AND LOOK WERE WE'RE GOIN TO FINISH 10TH SO ALL THEM GOALS THIS SEASON WERENT ENUFF SO TO COMPARE JOHN CAREW TO THEM AND SAY IT MAKES HIM LOOK GOOD IS WRONG BECAUSE WE DID NOTHING THIS SEASON

Do you mind not typing in capitals? I am only trying to have an intelligent debate, and you are just dragging it down.

If we can't compare strikers on their return in terms of goals, then what should we compare them on?

What I was trying to show is that clearly Carew is an improvement on what we have at the club, and as we not only need to look to build a top quality first XI, but a good quality squad overall, then I think Carew would not be a bad purchase.

You haven't yet answered my question from earlier about which 30+ season strikers are available? I am waiting with baited breath for your response.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.