John Carew [Merged]

Re: John Carew?

Read something the other day that Villa might be willing to sell, would be a great pickup.

Re: John Carew

mcs said:
I'd take him. Decent player who knows where hte back of the net is. You need to look at it like this I think. Consider the following list of strikers currently at the club:
Jo
Robinho
Bellamy
Bojinov
Caicedo
Evans
Benjani
Sturridge
Vassell

Now how many players in that list are better then Carew? Robinho obviously and perhaps Boj but he is no worse then any of the others. When you consider that it is quite likely that Vassell, Sturridge, Benjani, Evans may all go (And perhaps even Jo or Caicedo), it is clear we need in more then 1 striker then summer. Probably 2 or 3. Now we are not going to be getting 3 World class strikers in, whatever fairly land some of you people think we are in. Carew is a handful and a good player- his injury record is his one concern, but we could do a lot worse, and at very least he provides us with an option that we are missing up front. I'd take him over RSC that is for sure. People need to remember that this summer is as much about clearing out the deadwood and getting in some decent quality depth as it is about chasing superstars.

Top, top post mcs. Some board members think all we have to do is crook our finger and players will come running. No, they won't. Any CL club in any of the big leagues will be ahead of us as desirable options for players perceived as being top line until we show we can join the other big European clubs, so we will have to box clever in the meantime.

Carew is good, whatever some people think, as is RSC. We may have to take a risk on one or two injury prone, but classy, players initially, until we get into the CL places.

Rösler's Dad said:
Top, top post mcs. Some board members think all we have to do is crook our finger and players will come running. No, they won't. Any CL club in any of the big leagues will be ahead of us as desirable options for players perceived as being top line until we show we can join the other big European clubs, so we will have to box clever in the meantime.

Carew is good, whatever some people think, as is RSC. We may have to take a risk on one or two injury prone, but classy, players initially, until we get into the CL places.

Thanks mate, but I think its right on the money. We are going to be left with the scraps of the big names, for as you say CL clubs will get the first dibs. The only area that this may be different is with younger players (I.e Aguero) who may be tempted by the big money and may be lured by the project on offer and for players where other circumstances mean that their choices are limited (I.e. Valencia players, where it is clear the club will have to sell players).

I think a lot of this 'world class buying spree idea' is built up on years of frustration where we have had no money and no hope of great progress, and so many blues just expect now we have a bunch of cash that we can automatically buy our way to success (I think that point not only applies to transfers, but to the whole Hughes In/Out argument). You can't do it, and to build sustainable long term success, you need to do it one step at a time. That is what Fergie did, that is what the big 4 have done, and that is what we need to do.

While Carew is no world beater, he is better then most of what we have at the club, and while his injury record is a concern, he knows where the back of the net is, is proven in the Premier League, and would at worst be a good squad player.

i'm a huge carew fan, can understand if he doesnt set pulses racing, but he's a hell of a bulldozer with good skills who puts the ball in the net on a regular basis. aston villa's season collapsed when he dropped out of the team. the injuries are a concern, but as long as he's not the only big CF we sign, he could be very a canny acquisition.

we need two good target men in case of injury for me Carew would be a great second option if our main buy whoever that may be got injured.

moomba said:
Read something the other day that Villa might be willing to sell, would be a great pickup.

Did you really mean great?

There's a reason why he has only started 17 league games for Villa this season. If he is not good enough to be first choice for Villa, why would we want him?

OB1 said:
moomba said:

Did you really mean great?

There's a reason why he has only started 17 league games for Villa this season. If he is not good enough to be first choice for Villa, why would we want him?

Injuries.. whether that means we shouldn't sign him or not is a different matter. He certainly has the quality.

We have A list and B list player targets.

Carew is an option if we are looking at Crouch and RSC. He's got Premiership experience and could do a job for us. Very good front man who can hold the ball up and bring people into play. Very dangerous presence in the box for crosses and set pieces.

I'd rather have him than pay 18 million for RSC. He's in the last year of his contract at Villa so we could sign him for a relatively small fee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.