John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah Ok, it's the old "I decided he wasn't a good defender when he arrived and I'm not going to change my mind".
Nah its the old I wasn't convinced by him from the start but hopefully he can prove him wrong. Feck sake, are his fans blind? i said I hope he can win back his starting spot back at city despite his previous errors cuz I see potential

If anyone is to blame it's Maguire. He's got eyes on the whole thing he reacted too slowly, Mandzukic reacted quicker.

Stones was the best player on the pitch tonight and be some margin.

Nah its the old I wasn't convinced by him from the start but hopefully he can prove him wrong. Feck sake, are his fans blind? i said I hope he can win back his starting spot back at city despite his previous errors cuz I see potential
because Keane said it was Stonesy mistake doesn't make him right, you could say Trippier was as much to blame for not clearing his lines in the first place, plus it was in extra time after a gruelling 90mins, so for me there was no error just tiredness, and what does " are his fans blind mean" you not a City fan then?

Funny how people - especially from other clubs - see things differently - For me John Stones had an outstanding tournament, yes he made one error but overall his play was on a different level to other defenders in the England team. For the sake of being fair (and not City biased) both Kyle and Maquire - whom everyone went crazy about -constantly surrendered possession by hoofing it up field and it was mainly Stones who had the ability to actually try to play the ball out. Henderson also spent the entire tournament just hoofing it away so I take any critics of John Stones with a pinch of salt. Thank God we have a manager who understands the importance of not giving the ball away cheaply. Have a good rest John, this will be an even bigger season for you.

Apart from the one mistake last night where he switched off (and which has been sufficiently talked about, no doubt) John Stones has had a virtually flawless tournament. England's central defender for years to come. No question about it. Great to see that our John Stones is back. Also, our Vinnie, who had a pretty bloody fine tournament, too. Roll on, August.

He was immense throughout the tournament and showed real leadership at the back. He would make a far better captain than Kane.

If anyone is to blame it's Maguire. He's got eyes on the whole thing he reacted too slowly, Mandzukic reacted quicker.

Stones was the best player on the pitch tonight and be some margin.

It wasn't that he didn't choose to stay with his man but all it took was a shout to the defender ahead of him, Stones was facing the ball and Maguire was on Mandzukic last he looked.... poor communication cost us there.

Looks like they are going with the narrative that Stones should have been looking the other way(over the shoulder) against a Striker who knows how to stay in a player blindspot anyway... is that a surprise? Did they moan about Kane's wastefulness and poor decision making? I didn't even watch the post match myself but I'm predicting they didn't, it's like groundhog day with them I'd had enough at that point.

Last edited:
Thought he and Pickford were England’s pick from the tournament. Trippier was very good but gave the ball away a little too often. Maguire v good too. We have the foundations of a very good defence in this team. Pity about the midfield. That needs rebuilt from scratch, with Delph the only player worth persevering with. Henderson’s limitations are too apparent when he plays against a decent team, particularly when all he has in front of him are Alli and Lingard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.