John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lad had a colossal tournament even taking into account the impact of that mistake last night, wouldn't be overly surprised to see him make TOTWC along with Pickford.

Stones has been England's best player in this World Cup. His passing has been world class. His defending has been excellent.

He was partly to blame for the goal conceded last night but I firmly believe that Maguire was the one who has sight of Stones and should have reacted earlier too, even if it was only to wake John up. Worth noting that both players played more outfield minutes than their team mates (Stones played a minute more than Maguire) so any error would be likely be down to fatigue more than anything else. Both are relatively young players who will learn from this experience.

England got where they did and went out how they did due to how the team performed. Missed chances when England were on top were the key reason for last night's defeat; a failure to keep possession after HT also played a big part; the manager probably should have made different substitutions and tactical tweaks in second half...it's a team game.

Stones is turning into a leader, that was his back 3, he was in the center, he was the one telling people to calm down last night, he is the one that has the ability & brain to bring it out from the back, not afraid to step into midfield & receive a pass from Walker or Maguire or Pickford. i'd love to see him becoming part of the captain group at City with Vinny, Silva, Fern etc...

One split second lapse in concentration in the second half of extra time of a semi final after being under pressure pretty much since 30 mins into the first half in what was probably the biggest game of his life can not take away the rest of the tournament which was excellent.

The good thing for us, I expect we might play 3 at the back a bit more often next year if Mendy stays fit & we know Stones is ready made for the central position in that.

Stones has been England's best player in this World Cup. His passing has been world class. His defending has been excellent.

He was partly to blame for the goal conceded last night but I firmly believe that Maguire was the one who has sight of Stones and should have reacted earlier too, even if it was only to wake John up. Worth noting that both players played more outfield minutes than their team mates (Stones played a minute more than Maguire) so any error would be likely be down to fatigue more than anything else. Both are relatively young players who will learn from this experience.

England got where they did and went out how they did due to how the team performed. Missed chances when England were on top were the key reason for last night's defeat; a failure to keep possession after HT also played a big part; the manager probably should have made different substitutions and tactical tweaks in second half...it's a team game.

He has shown why he it's so highly rated by Pep. Passing, calmness and playmaking abilities from the back is world class.

Unfortunately he has also shown he still has the weaknesses in the basics of defending. Defending in a tight, low block, should be the easiest part of defending. It was his fault, no question.

He was one of the better players, but I would say Trippier is an easy pick.

I don't get why people are so sensitive about this. This is a mistake pure and simple. He had a good WC without facing top class opposition and made an error pure and simple that led to a goal. Just calling as it is. He will move on from this. You guys need to that too. Jeez his fans are so defensive. No pun intended. Again I hope he does well for city and win back his starting spot. So, I'm out. Not much point going on and on about this if his fans are going to defend him to the death.

and its the only mistake/ lose of concentration ( 120 minutes/ maguire at fault swell) that he made all tournament. name me a defender that doesnt make any mistakes or lose concentration. there isn't one. in your last post you said otamendi and Kompany would be picked. otamendi in particular made loads of mistakes this world cup.

im defending him, but he shouldnt have to be defended. he was brilliant at the world cup and genuinely one of the best players. i find it bizarre that the first thing you do is criticize him, but you dont post anywhere when he was one of our best players.

the potential with stones is huge and hes shown that at the world cup.

because Keane said it was Stonesy mistake doesn't make him right, you could say Trippier was as much to blame for not clearing his lines in the first place, plus it was in extra time after a gruelling 90mins, so for me there was no error just tiredness, and what does " are his fans blind mean" you not a City fan then?

Why does anyone take notice of the dogwanker and his fucking comments .

Was a twat as a player and hasn't changed as a pundit .

Why does anyone take notice of the dogwanker and his fucking comments .

Was a twat as a player and hasn't changed as a pundit .
He made a right **** of Wright tbf, you know you've lost an argument when you start trying to take the piss out of someone's accent while avoiding the topic.

For the record it was an understandable loss of concentration from Trippier, Stones and Maguire, these things happen in extra time especially from a young backline.

He made a right **** of Wright tbf, you know you've lost an argument when you start trying to take the piss out of someone's accent while avoiding the topic.

For the record it was an understandable loss of concentration from Trippier, Stones and Maguire, these things happen in extra time especially from a young backline.

The back 3 in that game made 31 clearances between them.

The problem was the midfield didn't and couldn't stop the constant bombardment they were under, and eventually you're going to get mistakes from a RB playing his 6th game at CB and another with 10 caps total.

Southgate takes the blame for this one mostly, which is a shame considering the great tournament they had, but he got a massive beating tactically.

Also I don't think Keane really showed up Wright, Keane was being a massive bellend castigating the England fans around him for daring to dream of getting to a final, which is completely fine - players need to take it day by day, fans back home are allowed to get caught up in the hope of the tournament.

Keane was wrong, he just got let off because Wright made a fool of himself and couldn't articulate a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.