John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be a weird trend on here that one bad season means a player is shit for life. He's 21 ffs and the reason people are jumping on him so much is cos he set the bar so high in his previous seasons. He needs to get as far away from Martinez as possible and get a manager who will give him his confidence back and help him develop further.

The first bit of your post is key - a reasonable season for a English player doesn't make them world class either. If Stones (and Barkley) were foreign, their decent form previously would have barely rated a mention, look the media hype difference between Rashford and Iheanacho yet look at which has the better stats.

Everton has a history of producing one season wonders who quickly disappear into the lower leagues. Whilst Martinez and Everton's whole play doesn't help anyone in the defence, the choice is whether to spend over £40m on a player no one is sure can defend properly.

Personally, I'd spend the money elsewhere as £40m should be able to buy two top quality centre halfs and leave some change, even if we struggle with that concept when shopping. If Stones goes on to be a good player, good for him, but he's never going to be the difference between winning a league or not, so why take the risk?

I thought it was because of Gibson

I must've been watching a different game

You must of been, 2 or 3 yards behind the rest of the defence to play Vardy on according to the linesman. That's school boy stuff, hold the line and Vardy's offside. It's not as though he was stood next to him even. We're not buying Gibson for 50 million hence the focus on the poor defender Stones is

The first bit of your post is key - a reasonable season for a English player doesn't make them world class either. If Stones (and Barkley) were foreign, their decent form previously would have barely rated a mention, look the media hype difference between Rashford and Iheanacho yet look at which has the better stats.

Everton has a history of producing one season wonders who quickly disappear into the lower leagues. Whilst Martinez and Everton's whole play doesn't help anyone in the defence, the choice is whether to spend over £40m on a player no one is sure can defend properly.

Personally, I'd spend the money elsewhere as £40m should be able to buy two top quality centre halfs and leave some change, even if we struggle with that concept when shopping. If Stones goes on to be a good player, good for him, but he's never going to be the difference between winning a league or not, so why take the risk?
Last summer Mourinho and this summer Pep see something to work with in him , so I'll go with their opinions.

You must of been, 2 or 3 yards behind the rest of the defence to play Vardy on according to the linesman. That's school boy stuff, hold the line and Vardy's offside. It's not as though he was stood next to him even. We're not buying Gibson for 50 million hence the focus on the poor defender Stones is

Watch the goal again, him and baines were holding the line and that defender was ball watching and ended up giving awaya penalty..but hey let's blame stones anyway because Leicester scored

The Everton games I've seen recently haven't allowed Stones to demonstrate his class and ability (if he really has much!) to the wider world. But every time I've watched Everton this season I've found myself asking what on earth has happened to Baines, Coleman, Jagielka, Barkley and so on. The key seems to be that they have been in decline for three years now and a back four renowned for being miserly seems to allow shots by the bucketload and concedes goals by the score. Martinez seems to have read Pep's ideas and liked half of them. He seems to enjoy coaching players in playing with the ball but seems to ignore any cocing on how to defend set pieces and how to organise and defend when the other team is in possession. Stones and others have struggled for three seasons now and if Martinez stays (unlikely?) he needs to leave. But to City? Pep does coach every aspect of the game in the minutest detail and if he wants him he's obviously seen potential which will respond. Why he hasn't seen this potential in Mangala, Otamendi and even Denayer is another question.

Watch the goal again, him and baines were holding the line and that defender was ball watching and ended up giving awaya penalty..but hey let's blame stones anyway because Leicester scored

I've watched it lots. He's 3 feet behind the rest and plays Vardy on. Criminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.