John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched him with particular interest last night and I have to say that although he is clearly a very talented footballer he was regularly caught out of position and he is one of those who at this stage of his career will always give his opponent a chance. He could very well mature into a top centre back but his isn't at that level right now, Reading through other peoples comments we seem to be in agreement on him. I don't believe he played as a right back more the right side of a back 3.

Last edited:
He's clearly not a RB. He's comfortable on the ball for a CB, but looked incredibly awkward for a fullback, constantly dallying on the ball and looking as if he didn't really see what was going on around him quick enough to make a decision. Defensively he has a lot of work to do as well as he's incredibly rash and positionally pretty suspect, but he'll never be a RB. Jagielka is currently the far superior player, while I'm not convinced Stones is even a better defender than Funes Mori at the moment.

I watched him with particular interest last night and I have to say that although he is clearly a very talented footballer he was regularly caught out of position and he is one of those who at this stage of his career will always give his opponent a chance. He could very well mature into a top centre back but his isn't at that level right now, Reading through other peoples comments we seem to be in agreement on him. I don't believe he played as a right back more the right side of a back 3.

tbf he was playing at right back a complete alien position for him and he probably had license to get forward. of course he's not world class right now, i can't think of many 21 year olds ever that have been world class straight away. wed be buying exceptional potential.

I thought he had a cracking game considering he was in an unfamiliar position and injured for the last 25 mins.

I thought he had a cracking game considering he was in an unfamiliar position and injured for the last 25 mins.

I agree, you can't really base an opinion about signing him when he was playing right back.

I thought up until his injury situation he was pretty much immaculate.

We are better off with Denayer

I completely disagree with this, but that's just my opinion. If Denayer ends up as good as Stones that would be fantastic. I think we're a bit shit in defence and signing Stones would properly strengthen the side.

I completely disagree with this, but that's just my opinion. If Denayer ends up as good as Stones that would be fantastic. I think we're a bit shit in defence and signing Stones would properly strengthen the side.

Everton concede alot more goals since Stones became a regular and took Distins place.
3rd best defence in the league a few seasons ago(where he started to break through in the second half of the season often at rightback). Then 10th best last season.
And now 13th best so far this season with him as first choice.

The problem last night is he took too many risks. He was running with the ball, and making silly mistakes. Now this is probably because he was out of position.

What I rate most about him is how cool headed he is when he is on the ball. When he's at CB i don't think he is in the position to be bombing forward and taking risks. He would be an improvement on Mangala currently, but only slightly.

If City are thinking about a bid for him, we need to think who will develop into the better player, Stones or Mangala? If it's not an obvious decision, then don't spend the money on him.

Good post. If Pep comes in I expect we will go for a CB in the summer...probably Laporte. If that is in the works we aren't (or better not be) even looking at Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.