John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mate, it shouldnt be about what they are today. The one thing most of our signings this summer have in common is "potential". We shouldnt be putting a value on what he is but what Pep can turn him into! The 37-40mil we paying for Sane? Most of that is on potential. 27mil for Jesus? Is based on potential...I'm pretty confident that this time next summer, we'd be saying, he was worth every penny...
Surely our younger players have potential. Pep can work and mold them into the players he wants.

People keep mentioning we can just play Fernandinho there like it solves everything. Our central midfield without Fernandinho in it is not worth thinking about for me. The guy is our engine. If we sign another midfielder to compliment Gungogan then yeah by all means put Fernandinho in defence. But until then, no.

Perhaps Pep has already considered who could play there if Fern played CB-He will have options and plans in the event he's injured anyway.

I honestly believe that the emergence of Tosin has put the ball firmly in our court and Pep genuinely isn't too fussed over Stones anymore, we'll certainly not to the extent of spending £50m on him.

Hi Mate, it shouldnt be about what they are today. The one thing most of our signings this summer have in common is "potential". We shouldnt be putting a value on what he is but what Pep can turn him into! The 37-40mil we paying for Sane? Most of that is on potential. 27mil for Jesus? Is based on potential...I'm pretty confident that this time next summer, we'd be saying, he was worth every penny...
We have to draw a line in the sand though; we are letting clubs take advantage of us and if we continue to do so other clubs will also continue to try and rip us off

I think a transfer request from stones would definitely play into our hands though

Sky reported this morning that talks havent just stalled with Everton but have stopped completely. Everton wont talk about a transfer for anything less than 50mil and have left it in City's corner...If this isnt going to happen, hope they move to plan C soon....
If we dont think he is worth it, we should indeed move on.

Maybe the bid for the Roma defender was true after all.

Everton would be mad not to take anything over £40m in my opinion. Yet at that price its also a good calculated risk for us, given the attributes he has and the style we will want to play.

Fair comments but at what point do you draw the line for potential?. IMO, I think £50m is the wrong side of that line

I wonder if this is the one where we decide to walk away from the table. Sooner or later we have to, as teams have this idea we will pay anything. My guess is much depends on how Pep assesses what we already have.

Surely our younger players have potential. Pep can work and mold them into the players he wants.

You are right mate but I think this summer has shown that Pep has concerns about the "potential" of some of our young lads. I really dont believe we'd be signing Sane, Jesus, Moreno and Zinchenko if Pep was completely sold (short term) on players like Bersant Celina and Brandon Barker for example. Stones is head and shoulders about any defender in our youth ranks at this point....Tosin has great potential but in my opinion, is 2years away from being a starting prem CB....Stones is a young, international, English defender that has world class "potential"...I'd just get it done!;)

You are right mate but I think this summer has shown that Pep has concerns about the "potential" of some of our young lads. I really dont believe we'd be signing Sane, Jesus, Moreno and Zinchenko if Pep was completely sold (short term) on players like Bersant Celina and Brandon Barker for example. Stones is head and shoulders about any defender in our youth ranks at this point....Tosin has great potential but in my opinion, is 2years away from being a starting prem CB....Stones is a young, international, English defender that has world class "potential"...I'd just get it done!;)
And what if this potential isnt realised, what if the price wears him down. You keep sayin g Pep will make him world class, but there are no guaranteesas we know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.