John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a squad player for us any more. But if we binned him off this summer, we'd be in for a hell of a rebuilding job. Let's be honest, Otamendi really needs to be going soon too, and Fernandinho isn't exactly a long term solution. So that's at least two centre backs we're going to need either this summer or next, and that's not a position we've had a great record in recruiting for. If we also bin off Stones, we need 3. But if we're willing to keep him as a backup with the hope he develops, then that reduces our transfer spending significantly. Having said that, he's probably the only one that we'd be able to get a fee for, so perhaps it makes more sense to sell him and persist with Otamendi and Fernandinho as the backups for next season, and bring in a new first choice.

I know that people will point to Garcia and THB, but the reality is that we're very unlikely to go into the season with an 18 year-old as one of the four. If we sell Stones, we'll be bringing in an established player to replace him almost certainly.
Agree with most of this but selling an injury hit player on good money is almost impossible, getting him back to some sort of form is the only way to get some dosh for him,

For older fans - I’d liken Stones to a Triumph Stag - that’s a car not a bra. On paper looks fabulous, in the metal was most men’s dreams but in reality it was damned unreliable. On its day it showed glimpses of greatness but all to often the mechanical gremlins spoilt things and over time your love for the car diminished as you arrived home on the AA low loader too often with jealous neighbours twitching the curtains.

For older fans - I’d liken Stones to a Triumph Stag - that’s a car not a bra. On paper looks fabulous, in the metal was most men’s dreams but in reality it was damned unreliable. On its day it showed glimpses of greatness but all to often the mechanical gremlins spoilt things and over time your love for the car diminished as you arrived home on the AA low loader too often with jealous neighbours twitching the curtains.
Or a Morris Minor- prone to getting stuck in reverse, the suspension frequently collapsed, had no speed and only came in blue.

If the £20m is a serious number than how can we only get 25% of what united paid for slab head? Still think Pep needs to prove his value here and turn him into the top class defender everyone knows he can be. Don’t forget he was the mainstay of the defence when we did the 18 game winning streak. The ability is definitely there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.