John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best centre backs make the fewest mistakes. Kompany at his best was generally faultless (and some more) and despite Van Dijk’s balls up against Leeds, he made very few mistakes in the last couple of seasons. Unfortunately Stones makes more than your average defender at the moment and it’s frustrating because we know he can look so good before those aberrations.

His situation isn’t helped by not playing regularly in recent times, so it would be nice for him to get a run of games this season so we can assess properly where he’s at now.

He didn't make a mistake last night. He got outpaced by one of the best strikers in the league once as he was trying to play him offside. He needs to play deep. Last ditch defender is his forte.

What were all these glaring mistakes he made against Wolves? I didn’t see anything where you can definitively say he should be doing better. The time they got through against Ederson and chipped it over was simply a great run, there’s very little you can do as a defender there, that should have been shutdown in midfield by not giving them the time and space to play the pass in the first place. The goal, again the time to stop that was not allowing the cross but kdb got done. the cross was good and Jimenez’s movement and header was fantastic, he was hanging offside and came back onside which is why nobody was near him, you can’t blame mendy or stones for not breaking the line, him being in space was all down to great centre forward movement and a consequence of marking space.

he had a really good solid game, anybody slating him for that performance clearly has an issue with stones.

I've just rewatched it and it was a mistake imo. Stones is right to track the run from deep but when it's instead played to Jimenez then he's got to get out then or stay with the run of Podence. He decides to step up too late just as Moutinho is about to play the pass.

I presume its a mixture of he has shown good attitude in training etc and also Pep has been told that Ota and Garcia are off and do we want to lose 3 first team squad CB in one window.

I presume its a mixture of he has shown good attitude in training etc and also Pep has been told that Ota and Garcia are off and do we want to lose 3 first team squad CB in one window.

Also have to think if we're really looking at Kounde instead of Koulibaly that should present a bit more playing time for John.

Stones only seemed for solid because he had a double pivot in front of him first the first time under Pep. As soon as Pep reverts back to his two 8s in the mid then you're just back to square one with him.
Double pivot? WTF : /

Ah, I get it now I think. Gundogan and Rodri both play like Bambi on ice, or is that Stones? : /

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.