Jordan Henderson wins FWA Footballer of the Year

de Bruyne has had one and a half good games since the restart of footy after lockdown.

He had a good run through the Winter but I’m not sure he’s the league’s POTS. He might well be the league’s best player at his best in general but I’m not sure he’s been the best player this season.

If Henderson wins it, then it says more about our season than it does Henderson and those who voted for him.

We have simply not been good enough on a consistent basis this season and I include de Bruyne in that too. Some of Kev’s passing in the last month has been atrocious!

Ederson has pretty much been the only consistent high level performer for City throughout the entire season yet he’s not even getting a mention in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Salad won it last year over Sterling, they said he deserves it as he is the top scorer...... Er, isnt that what the golden boot is for?

Salah won it over KDB in 2018 but you're right about the golden boot. I don't recall Sergio winning POTY or even getting in the PL team of the year when he won the golden boot in 2015.

Dick van Dyke won it over Sterling in 2019. Sterling won the much longer established Football Writers' POTY but the dipperati insisted that was a second rate award and didn't count.

The media start the bandwagon rolling for certain players and this year it is Henderson’s turn. Look back previously and you’ve had shite like Scott (Scotty) Parker winning it from a team who got relegated. Going back even further to the 80’s Paul Davis won it. He went from the everyone saying he was underrated to being the most overrated player in the country after Bryan Robson. The media certainly control both awards.

Ironic that KDB has had better seasons than this one and could end up winning it.

Yes there is a big media push. It's why Raheem won the FWA POTY last season for his contribution on and off the pitch. Meanwhile, VWD won the PFA POTY voted for by the players. The best City player was of course Bernardo and he didn't get half the publicity of Sterling or VWD.

I can't see Paul Davis listed as a POTY (FWA, PFA or Young Player) in the 80s. So I think that might be urban myth.

Matter of opinion whether this is KDB's best season or not. Obviously not in terms of trophies but definitely in terms of all the stats and analytics metrics

Dick van Dyke won it over Sterling in 2019. Sterling won the much longer established Football Writers' POTY but the dipperati insisted that was a second rate award and didn't count.

I would rather win player of the year voted by fellow professionals (PFA) than the award from the press.

de Bruyne has had one and a half good games since the restart of footy after lockdown.

He had a good run through the Winter but I’m not sure he’s the league’s POTS. He might well be the league’s best player at his best in general but I’m not sure he’s been the best player this season.

If Henderson wins it, then it says more about our season than it does Henderson and those who voted for him.

We have simply not been good enough on a consistent basis this season and I include de Bruyne in that too. Some of Kev’s passing in the last month has been atrocious!

Ederson has pretty much been the only consistent high level performer for City throughout the entire season yet he’s not even getting a mention in this thread.

Capture77.png

Hardly fair 2bh. Plus Ederson's errors have been far more costly (Wolves away, Rags away) plus other mistakes (Southampton home).

Capture77.png

Hardly fair 2bh. Plus Ederson's errors have been far more costly (Wolves away, Rags away) plus other mistakes (Southampton home).
Those stats don’t really mean a lot. They don’t show how much his general play was miles better through the Winter than it has been of late. There are no stats to show how someone reads the game and sets up attacking moves, moves opposition players around the pitch and creates space. But that’s what de Bruyne is best at and what he’s not done well of late.

Plus a goalkeepers mistakes will always be the most costly in any team.

I think Ederson’s red card at Wolves was the fault of Mahrez and Mendy’s woeful play, he just came out to clear up their shit and timed it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wait a second, the same can be said about Salah when he won it, fucking Scott Parker when he won it a few years ago. The amount of games De Bruyne has affected directly is more than any other player in the league. The comparison between him and a water carrier is ridiculous, if we're going down that route then Fernandinho should have been player of the season x2 as he had consistent seasons in the same manner. If Henderson wins it, then it will be for the same reason that Parker/Kante won it, the English media love a warhorse (even more if he's English) player and will stop at nothing to push that agenda when they can. It's not even a debate that De Bruyne has been POTS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.