José Ángel Pozo

LoveCity said:
It's just too early for him, that's all. He's a phenomenal talent but is skipping many levels to play in the first team in intense Premier League games. When he's 21 or 22, he'll be a much stronger player. But even at the age of 18, he'd be more influential in his normal role. I think it's a great show of faith that City have given him games even if he's clearly not really ready for this level yet.
I don't think he is clearly not ready for this level, I just he's clearly not suited to being used in that way. He kept the ball really well when we actually rolled it to his feet and he did so under decent pressure as well. He's just never going to be the sort of player who can lead the line on his own, while we lump long balls in his vague direction. I was hugely dissapointed with how poorly the rest of the team adapted their game to suit Pozo. If you know your striker is short and not especially quick, why the fuck do you hit long balls for him to chase? It made no sense at all. He's not the sort of player to threaten in behind or take balls down on his chest, so it's very odd that we played that way. I can't imagine it helped that we'd been planning on playing with Dzeko, but you'd hope the players were smart enough to adapt to a different player.

If he starts the next game then the rest of the team has to play in a way that suits him better if they want it to work. We need to work the ball up to him, with him coming deep and linking play, like we do a lot of the time with Aguero, just without the out ball of the early ball over the top for Aguero's pace. Once we have worked the ball up and got numbers forward, then we can cut teams apart with sharp play and men getting in down the sides, which he's definitely capable of. Today our play was really poor and did him no favours at all.

He did what could be asked of him today; worked hard, ran a lot and put pressure on their goalie forcing him to make the occasional mistake with his distribution.

leighton said:
LoveCity said:
It's just too early for him, that's all. He's a phenomenal talent but is skipping many levels to play in the first team in intense Premier League games. When he's 21 or 22, he'll be a much stronger player. But even at the age of 18, he'd be more influential in his normal role. I think it's a great show of faith that City have given him games even if he's clearly not really ready for this level yet.

Who else can we play when the 3 forwards we have are injured its a shame we didnt hold onto Negredo as he is 1 of more physical players but it didnt work out and not replacing him was a bit of a fuck up.

I think Silva and Yaya would be more effective in the lone striker role. Yaya because he is so strong and good with the ball, Silva because he has experience playing a false nine role (scored 2 for Spain vs. Scotland there).

I also think Guidetti would be more effective if brought back and played there. I'm not under the illusion Guidetti is a City standard striker, but he can hold the ball up, make a nuisance of himself in the box, and score. Pozo is not a lone forward and even when he peaks probably won't be. He looks like a support/second striker.

LoveCity said:
leighton said:
LoveCity said:

Who else can we play when the 3 forwards we have are injured its a shame we didnt hold onto Negredo as he is 1 of more physical players but it didnt work out and not replacing him was a bit of a fuck up.

I think Silva and Yaya would be more effective in the lone striker role. Yaya because he is so strong and good with the ball, Silva because he has experience playing a false nine role (scored 2 for Spain vs. Scotland there).

I also think Guidetti would be more effective if brought back and played there. I'm not under the illusion Guidetti is a City standard striker, but he can hold the ball up, make a nuisance of himself in the box, and score. Pozo is not a lone forward and even when he peaks probably won't be. He looks like a support/second striker.

This!

Some suggestion that Jovetic and Dzeko will be missing for a couple of weeks, if so then we have to play in a way that suits Pozo in the mean time, while promoting Ambrose to the bench.

LoveCity said:
leighton said:
LoveCity said:

Problem is we're not asking him to play the false nine role where he'd do well, were asking him to play the real 9 role which he isn't suited to.

We all want the lads to do well but he needs a season long loan in a league where he'll get some time.

He looks slow as shit.

Not helped by a lack of willingness on most of the team to pass to him.

B\connellblue said:
Worrying lack of pace which any light weight playing up front needs to be effective in the premier league. I'm sure he's better than he's shown so far but he'd certainly need to be. Like others suggest needs to be loaned out to gain experience.

Surprised at your assessment there, he's pretty rapid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.