Josko Gvardiol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have a point IF the Maguire thing is indeed true. We will never know unfortunately.

The only thing I would say, if it was true and in defence of City, is that it could be be a cultural thing. Abu Dhabi don’t like to be seen to be flash with the cash and while it doesn’t matter to us it might to them. Do you remember a couple of years ago when Khaldoon made a point in his end of season interview of saying “We don’t have the most expensive keeper, the most expensive defender….”

I would guess it isn’t true or, if it is, City may have used the perceived importance just to get the price down as part of the negotiation.

If it is true and all part of worrying what other clubs think, then yes it is silly (to us) but maybe not the owners.
a very interesting post. i don’t have a theory, i just think it’s quite weird how this went from dealing with max eberl to city going over his head to oliver mintzlaff and then leipzig not only accepted 20m euros less than his rc, 10m euros less than their baseline asking price, but also no add ons at all except that friendly. did leipzig lose money for a potential future business opportunity for red bull in general? :D

and now the focus is completely on gvardiol being cheaper than maguire.

it’s 2023, everyone cares about optics, everything is pr.

btw according to transfermarkt maguire’s fee was 87m euros. so now we have schrödinger’s gvardiol, both the most expensive and the not most expensive defender ever. :D

anyway, i’m glad it’s done, looking forward to another round of plane tracking :D

a very interesting post. i don’t have a theory, i just think it’s quite weird how this went from dealing with max eberl to city going over his head to oliver mintzlaff and then leipzig not only accepted 20m euros less than his rc, 10m euros less than their baseline asking price, but also no add ons at all except that friendly. did leipzig lose money for a potential future business opportunity for red bull in general? :D

btw according to transfermarkt maguire’s fee was 87m euros. so now we have schrödinger’s gvardiol, both the most expensive and the not most expensive defender ever. :D

anyway, i’m glad it’s done, looking forward to another round of plane tracking :D

It is speculation that anyone 'went over anyone's head' and that they would have involved the brand etc. But along those lines, we should have good will with RB/Liepzig, having let them have Angelino for close to 10m less when they couldn't match the pre-agreed buy clause at the end of his loan, so we could just as easily also speculate that favour being called in. Either way, it ended up less than their current manager/ceo had been publicly claiming, and that is impressive.

Reactions: CC1

He has a sell on clause, city playing a friendly is a separate entity to allow RBL a payday without adding it to the fee for the player. Less of a fee, less of a sell on payment.
As for going over their heads, if City know they need money then they continually mess us around changing the structure, then it’s fair to assume City gave the powers higher up they run the risk of losing a deal altogether and asked them to step in to conclude it.
They run the risk of failing FFP, Red Bull are not daft and know the money offered is a fair price.

View attachment 88772

if he’s right joško won’t go anywhere until this is done.

i think he’ll fly from leipzig. he certainly wouldn’t fly from belgrade.
someone (his agent?) flew to leipzig yesterday afternoon.
His agent is Marjan sisic( I've done my homework) .
If he's flew to Leipzig then I presume both him and Gvardiol are waiting for the green light.

Hopefully some time today it gets over the line.

Is there another reason why we would come up with a creative solution to drop just enough of the fixed fee to be delivered through a separate mechanism if not to not steal from our local rivals the “biggest cb fee” title? I doubt anyone here really thinks it makes a difference whether we paid that cheap change money they will get through the friendly game
Because it just so happens that 90m euros is slightly under what United paid for Maguire at the current exchange rate. And 90m euros is the round figure we agreed with RB Leipzig.

So we got the player on the cheap but the cardboard box cost us millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.