Juan Mata (Merged)

Re: Juan Mata is a must

Etchy said:
i really hope this guy is like silva... already done, no one knows and will be announced after the euros ;)
Amo hold U to dis!!!

Just watched Mata carefully against England under 21. He's not as fleet of foot as Silva and he seemed to play deeper more like Barry... but with more vision. That was a nice combination. Would make a decent upgrade on Gaz and has the attacking sharpness to fill in the Silva role if need be. And after all Mancini likes his three man midfield. If he goes for Sanchez, he'll go for a deep lying playmaker too. Mata is not quite world class yet but he's young and he's clever on the ball.

So I guess its Sanchez to take the Johnson role and maybe a replacement for Tevez (or at least an understudy like that guy Lavezzi who sounds like a nutter too. Mad mate for Carlos or a Mini Me?) oh and and a left back and we're done.

Silva Service said:
Just watched Mata carefully against England under 21. He's not as fleet of foot as Silva and he seemed to play deeper more like Barry... but with more vision. That was a nice combination. Would make a decent upgrade on Gaz and has the attacking sharpness to fill in the Silva role if need be. And after all Mancini likes his three man midfield. If he goes for Sanchez, he'll go for a deep lying playmaker too. Mata is not quite world class yet but he's young and he's clever on the ball.

So I guess its Sanchez to take the Johnson role and maybe a replacement for Tevez (or at least an understudy like that guy Lavezzi who sounds like a nutter too. Mad mate for Carlos or a Mini Me?) oh and and a left back and we're done.
I don't think Mata is a good replacement for Gaz. He is not as defensive, and burdening him with that much Defensive responsibility will dull his offenisve game. He is a poor man's Iniesta, which is pretty good. More likely than not him and Silva will often interchange between left and middle of the 3 AMs in the 4231 formation. And while I agree with you that he is not World Class (a subjective appellation) I don't think he is any less talented than Sanchez. They bring different qualities but are about the same.

Dax777 said:
spacecadet said:
Dax777 said:
[

1. 45
2. 1972
This confirms you are not a kid tryna clarkie me. Good! So lets get into the facts.

1. I would argue Maradona was better than Pele- He won the WC with an average Argentina side in 86 and Two Serie A with an average Napoli side.
I have always admired Brazilian football but this man was at his peak 50 years ago.
It is like saying Lofthouse was the greatest 30 goals in 33 games for England that is not true is it.

2. Bowlers bowl faster- Javelin throwers throw further- 100m record gets broken regualarly nowadays doesnt it? Messi is the greatest footballer I have ever seen and I have seen Bell, Bowles, Worthington, Cruyff, Best, Tranny and whoevever you can think of- Nobody is near Messi in my opinion.
Okay you did not mention Pele in your list. Did you see him play? But back to the argument. Unlike running, throwing Javelin or lifting the heaviest weights. Football is not judged that way. But even if it were, Pele would still be the greatest statistically. And that aside his accomplishments are unmatched. He led the league 9 years in a row. Scored more goals in one season than anyone has done before and ever since. Was a competive player at the top of the game for 20 straight years from 1956 - 1975.

Statistically Pele did things you can't imagine. He led the Brazilian league in scoring at age 16. Went to the World Cup and in four games scored enough goals to win the Silver boot, and be judged the 2nd best player in the tournament. Was injured in 1966 and Brazil failed to get out of their group. Which is an argument against the notion that his supporting cast was so great they could have done it without him. An argument that could equally be levied at Messi by the way, considering his inability to lead his country to the WC so far.

He went on to score 56 goals in one season in his 2nd year as a professional (17 year old) nullifying your suggestion he was at his peak at 50. BTW that record is yet to fall in Brazil. The country that gave us Rivelino, Rivaldo, Romario, Bebeto, Kaka, Neymar, Pato. Robihno, Serginho, Careca, Socrates, Jairzihno, Tustao, Dida, Vava, Garincha, Rivelino, Ronaldihno, Ademir and a 100 others less popular. Yet none of them have come close to repeating this feat at any age.

This is not like Lofthouse who scored 30 in 33 games. As it could be asked what else did he do? Did lofthouse lead the league in scoring 9 years in a row? Did he win best player at the WC? Did He score 58 goals at age 17? was he on 3 WC winning squads. Did he score 1087 goals in 1120 games over a career. You could get lucky over a 30 game span. But If your whole playing career put together at every level suggest you averaged a goal a game of a 20 year span. That my friend is the epitome of greatness.

These are not the stats of mere men. The combination of raw talent, professionalism, determination and longetivity. Makes Pele incomparable to anyone who has ever played the game. And yes, that includes Messi. Who I personally think is as good as they come.

Maradona on the other hand is not even in the discussion. He was a fantastic player who won 1 WC and failed at 3 others. Cobbled together a couple of Serie A titles under the auspices of single-handedly carrying the team, A team that had De Napoli, Careca, Alemao, Ferrera, and Carnavale is hardly a bunch of scrubs. Sure Maradona was by far the best player on the team, but he didn't win the league with scrubs. He had a good supporting cast. He failed to take a more talented Argetina team to victory in 1990 and 1994. So the whole claim of single handedly carrying a weak team to victory is a little tainted, considering he couldn't repeat the feat with better players. Not to mention, his luck of having to face, Uruguay, England, and Belgium on its way to the final. A route that avoided practically every hot team in the WC- Denmark, France, Soviet Union, Brazil and Spain. They faced no team that won their group, and no team that had a bonafied star coming to the WC. And worst of all they avoided Brazil and France. I mean you can only play who is in front of you, but all the teams Argentina played had a grand total of 4 wins amongst all of them in 90 minutes of football. We are talking about perhaps the most impotent set of offensive opposition in the history of the WC.

Lets not even start on the redefinition of Maradona. He should be labelled the wasted talent, as opposed to being shrine the 2nd best player ever. Which Thankfully Messi should change soon enough.

Dax I like your posts. But this guy is arguing Messi is better than Pele. Its best to just let it go. Clearly he is not right in the head.

-- Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:00 am --

CitySpaniard said:
Dax777 said:
CitySpaniard said:
Martinez has a big buyout clause from athletic Bilbao(Liverpool couldn't even tempt him with 25 mil), as for ander Herrera he was just bought by Bilbao for 15 mil, Ruben Perez and parejo are average in Spain and can't see them improving much more. Ruiz just moved to Italy and won't be moving a time soon. I would love to see mata, or even Diego capel as they are more realistic targets and would make an immediate impact feeding the ball up top
No, to that dude. He is selfish. Not very Spanish :(

Tevez is selfish, he never passes the ball and is a glory hunter but he gets the job done

at the expense of others.

Just read that Valencia are ready to take offers for Mata. They bought someone else to replace him if he leaves. I reckon we'll see a lot more "news" about his transfer soon.

bluecityboy said:
Just read that Valencia are ready to take offers for Mata. They bought someone else to replace him if he leaves. I reckon we'll see a lot more "news" about his transfer soon.

Hope so, he's got a great attitude and very versatile. Could be ours for £25mill. Really like this guy, will be an excellent purchase.

Next season with the right personel we will play 4231 more often. We have players to do the 433 but if we want to challenge then 4231 is the way to go, so long as we actually have a decent leftback (wingback).

Mata on the left Silva in the middle and Sanchez on the right. De Jong and Yaya sat behind. No need for a deep lying playmaker.

If we do go for Mata, is that a 'no' to Modric? Or would both be possible if Viera and someone else left?

would it be best to switch from sanchez to mata? i would imagine if we dangled 30m euros infront of valencia then it would be a done deal pretty quick?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.