Juanma Lillo leaves to become Al-Sadd Head Coach

I actually don’t think we play with a pivot as much now. It’s more like a flat four across the midfield, which sets us up as a 4-4-2 when out of possession.
I totally agree in the second half of the first leg against PSG, and in the second leg.

2 holding (Rodri and Gundogan / Fernandinho and Gundogan) with two pressing from the front (DeBruyne and Bernado).

But I wouldn’t say that was the typical shape when we went on that incredible run of 25 on the spin.

Gundogan played much higher up in that run, and scored loads of goals. During that period we invariably did play with a pivot - Rodri, with Gundogan and Bernado as the two 8’s and a false 9.

It may have been 442 out of possession against PSG, but for the vast majority of our winning run it was 433.

The main point is the told you so attitude we get on the main forum anytime we come good, a lot on the main forum seem to revel in lookignback and saying "well don't you look daft now"

I am not a fan of such things
If it makes you feel better, my point wasn't I told you so. My point was that people shouldn't be so quick to make judgements on stuff they clearly know nothing about.

Even reading the posts after mine, it's like one part of my post was thoroughly ignored.

I'm not saying don't call a spade a spade, whether you'd be right or wrong there'd be a discussion to be had. Just maybe don't jump in to say that the spade will never be a useful tool in our locker at every opportunity.

Do they look silly though?

They had an initial reaction
That reaction is proved wrong
They hold their hands up

I neither commented on him good or bad but other who may have well, no one is infalible and can be wrong, personally I have never liked the told you so attitude in hindsight

Only the contrary who won't admit they were wrong look silly everyone else not so in my eyes
Spot on,we have a few who actively seek to find comment so that they can try and belittle,embarrass or humiliate.

We all post daft stuff occasionally or get things wildly wrong,its not a crime....its an internet forum where people often post with passion and emotion while also maybe blowing off some steam....it's sad as fuck if you get off by using it to attack another.

The problem being some of our supporters think they are highly skilled analysts and tactical genius’s the truth is they are not

Yes but there's some folk on here who've swallowed the full coaching handbook and know all the terms - double pivot etc... make me feel like Alan Shearer - tactically clueless.

Reading through this thread, quite a few are looking a tad silly now.

This thread is actually a good insight into the psychology of many posters. When we weren't doing well, people were looking for something or someone to blame. They associated our success with the outgoing Arteta, and the failings with the incoming Lillo. Many posts were lacking in thought, and the ones that didn't were lacking in insight.

But the truth is, nobody really knew what either did. We know bits and pieces, but not really much. Even now, I'd say the same. Chances are, they both have had positive impacts, but ultimately the buck stops at Pep, good and bad.

In fairness, it's no different to a player thread. Most don't really know the depth of what they critique. Some do, but they're rare. They call what they see, and in fairness, sometimes that matches up, but really a lot of it is the tip of the iceberg. There's so much going on under the surface that makes things way more complex than we can appreciate. It means we miss when underperforming players are doing better, and also sometimes we might argue players are doing better than they actually are.

If there's one lesson from threads like these, it's that maybe we should chill out on rushing to make judgements with a club that has had unprecedented success these last few years. I'm not saying don't call a spade a spade, whether you'd be right or wrong there'd be a discussion to be had. Just maybe don't jump in to say that the spade will never be a useful tool in our locker at every opportunity.
Tad patronising

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.