Jude Bellingham

Exactly. Game management. He knows who the star man is on Sunday and he needs him rested until then.

I'd like to think that was the reason, not just because Waistcoat seems scared to hook Bellingham.

Also I reckon we had one eye on penalties, it was looking like the kind of game where an extra 30 mins was going to be two teams resigning themselves to pens, then maybe Waistcoat wanted the last games penalty takers on by the end.

I'd like to think that was the reason, not just because Waistcoat seems scared to hook Bellingham.

Also I reckon we had one eye on penalties, it was looking like the kind of game where an extra 30 mins was going to be two teams resigning themselves to pens, then maybe Waistcoat wanted the last games penalty takers on by the end.
No reason for him to be scared to hook a child. The penalties was a factor for me, too, and I was glad Foden went off so he didn’t have to get involved.

As it goes, the subs worked and Foden will be ready for Sunday. I think he will go one better than the brilliance he showed in the first half last night.

The thing with jude is the first moments when he gets the ball, he is thinking what amazing thing can he do. And before he knows it the defender is in his face.... His thoughts should be on the best team pass.
Frustrating.

The thing with jude is the first moments when he gets the ball, he is thinking what amazing thing can he do. And before he knows it the defender is in his face.... His thoughts should be on the best team pass.
Frustrating

Makes a lot of wrong decisions in general play which is normal for a kid his age (I know, his age being mentioned again). Difference in game IQ between him and Foden is enormous though as was shown last night when Phil was exceptional and could easily have had a hat trick before half time.
Bellingham has certain instincts that will serve him well over time, namely his ability to get on the end of things and score goals. Did plenty of that for Madrid last season and 2 big goals in this euros. And he is a physically imposing lad as well which I think has helped him flourish to the extent he has done so far in his career. Compare him now to Foden at 21. Different species almost. That only goes to show how special a footballer Foden is to excel at the top level from such a young age. And he's been in an environment that's kept his feet firmly grounded throughout his development. Chalk and cheese to whats happening with Bellingham it seems.
His overall play has a hell of a lot of maturing to do to curb the ego and serve his teammates better by releasing the right balls at the right times. That will only come if he's coached properly.
I neither love nor hate the guy. Any contempt I have towards the whole Bellingham thing is the people who tell me he's a generational talent and stick to their guns even though his bang average performances thru this euros alone have been there for all to see. I've got a mate in particular who still bangs that drum even now and batters me on social media for daring to push back against the hype. That's what I find the hardest thing to bear when it comes to him. On the other hand I honestly can't say I've ever seen an interview with him and come away thinking even a fraction of the vitriolic thoughts that some people have expressed on here towards him for example.
He's a very divisive lad it seems, the opinions on him are extreme from one end of the spectrum to the other. I sit somewhere in the middle with him as a footballer. As a personality I'm not in the least bit offended by him.

I noticed this last night, as well. He’s been doing it all tournament but it becomes more apparent the worse he plays and the better others around him play. He was genuinely avoiding passing to Foden in the first half, as Phil was playing the best football and could have created more chances if Bellingham had just given him the ball in quite a few situations. I am not sure if it was because Phil was outshining him but it continues to be a frustrating aspect to Bellingham’s game, regardless.

Bellingham reminds me of the middle child desperate for attention: ecstatic and exuberant when he is getting it, miserable and petulant when he isn’t.

I have still yet to see anything about his game that is actually worthy of the “generational talent” label, nor any evidence that he is a team player, at least with England. He has the talent to be an exceptional forward, but he is wholly lacking as a midfielder, and his attitude is awful. So, in some ways, his poor performances are as much on Southgate as they are on him. But he still shoulders most of the blame for how he plays with his teammates, even if he is playing in a role that doesn’t necessarily suit him.

It will be very interesting to how he gets on at Real Madrid now that they have a new super star plaything in Mbappe. My hunch is that he will not be happy.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.