Jude Bellingham

Confidence or arrogance?
I have said that most top level footballers would be classed as arrogant by we common folk, and that is more based on selection bias than anything else. More often than not you need to be arrogant to even make it to top level, as there are so many setbacks, so much criticism, such great resistance to your progression along the way that at times only singular focus and an overestimation of your own abilities keeps you going. Most (though, not all) “humble” or “well-adjusted” players tend to either filter out completely early on or just not rise as far in the pyramid.

All of that said, I also maintain Bellingham has exhibited an opinion of himself and general behaviour that goes well beyond simple arrogance in to the realm of hubris and narcissism.

And I think that was on show for all to see at the Euros. I still contend his presence in the squad was a net negative on the squad, not a net positive (even with the goal contributions, as I think most were only actually necessary because of the dysfunction his presence brought to our play).

I think it is very telling that his best mate Arnold, that reportedly helped create that “favoured clique” team dynamic at the tournament, is currently trying to rundown his contract so he can sign a pre-contract agreement (with a massive signing bonus, given he is saving them a transfer fee) with Real Madrid in January.

I think Bellingham wants someone there to help him feel better about himself and combat Mbappe taking over as the golden boy.

I still don’t think either Mbappe’s or Bellingham’s overdeveloped egos will allow both to remain at the club for long.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.