Just Stop Oil protests

This is a ridiculous statement.

Do you really think that the Just Stop Oil people are changing the world? They have damaged the climate debate more than anyone else because they're turning people away from it. The solutions will not come from these people.

At the end of the day they haven't been sent to prison for protesting. They've been sent to prison for doing something illegal whilst protesting. If you shot somebody in protest against climate change then yes you can still expect to get sent to prison for murder. Your right to protest is overriden by the fact that you did something illegal.
I think you’ve spectacularly missed the point, whilst simultaneously reinforcing it. If you shot someone whilst protesting you’d (as you say) be convicted for murder, a separate offence, and in actual fact your sentence would be extended because it was politically motivated.

These people have not been prosecuted for a separate offence; they have been prosecuted for the (previously common law) offence of public nuisance that was brought into statute precisely to deal with such protesting. As far as I am aware they have been prosecuted for any other, associated offences such as violent disorder or affray.

Doing our best Air source is coming on, insulations being replaced with a better product, solar being fitted, trouble is most of these energy saving products are reliant on fossil fuels in their production and installation :-(
We have made steps I ain't gonna argue we have done nothing that would be dishonest of me but I do know one thing we could have done more earlier and without people fighting the fight we wouldn't be even where we are now.

Too many people in power and/,or in denial gave slowed it down. And most of us have let them.

Not a single person has been sent to prison for protesting, I suggest you read what they were convicted of and the associated sentencing guidelines. A conviction of this type requires a jury conviction so at least 12 people agreed they had broken the law.

Like I said the exact same analogy applies in terms of law. If I punch somebody in the face to protest against something then my right to protest will not protect me from being convicted and sentenced to prison for assault.

The cost alone of their law breaking is in excess of £1m. With this in mind you would expect the Police and law to act to stop the repeat disruption. It's pretty obvious that prison is the only option which ticks this box.
I suggest you read my post again, then i suggest you read the updated laws on protesting.

As evidenced in court, they're self-righteous narcissists who specifically planned to prevent people from attending funerals, flying on holiday or getting to critical cancer appointments. This isn't tolerated because none of their 'victims' wanted to participate in a protest let alone one that meant missing their arrangements.

You would fully expect the sentence to reflect the crime which increases in severity by the level of planning and other factors such as past offending. A judge and jury gave a verdict of conviction and lengthy prison sentence, I really don't see the problem.
You don't say?

None of what you have said hasn't already been said discussed and answered.

I think you’ve spectacularly missed the point, whilst simultaneously reinforcing it. If you shot someone whilst protesting you’d (as you say) be convicted for murder, a separate offence, and in actual fact your sentence would be extended because it was politically motivated.

These people have not been prosecuted for a separate offence; they have been prosecuted for the (previously common law) offence of public nuisance that was brought into statute precisely to deal with such protesting. As far as I am aware they have been prosecuted for any other, associated offences such as violent disorder or affray.
When you think about it, 5 years for being a nuisance, or conspiracy to cause, sounds fucking mental.

And the statutory maximum is ten! It was actually unlimited before it became a statutory offence, but that’s standard for any common law offence.
My Mrs always tells me I’m a nuisance, now I’m careful so she doesn’t call the cops and get me banged up!

My life has changed, no longer what it used to be.

Yes but note any law carries a burden of proof that must be proven in court. Have you read the evidence that was given in court? Have you read the extent of damage that was caused to victims and the financial cost of policing it?

It also wasn't just public nuisance, they were actions that literally required police intervention to prevent them endangering people let alone themselves. A 12 person jury heard this and they found every single person guilty. The same twats who tried to scale Heathrow earlier in the week are no different, they could of put an aircraft in danger.

There isn't a single mitigating factor. One person may even die of cancer because of these actions. That person who may die did not choose to miss their cancer appointment, JUST STOP OIL conspired to make it so!

I'm sorry but protests are perfectly acceptable but they shouldn't encroach upon the public or even endanger the public who did not choose to participate in a protest. The overwhelming public opinion is that these people should of got 10 years and not 5. The law exists, they knew it and they've been put in prison, case closed, don't slip on the soap.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.