Kalidou Koulibaly

And because the dressing room needs leaders too. Fernandinho is going to be 35/36 he will not be a starter. I expect a new STARTING CB alongside Laporte and if the other of Stones/Otamendi goes, a second CB brought in. We don't need to splash out on another LCB figure because THATS WHAT LAPORTE IS FOR. We need a starter ALONGSIDE him. And cut out this whole we're turning into a 3ATB. We will never be set to one formation/system.

If Fernandinho is a regular starter next season we can wish the league title goodbye next year too
Our biggest problems this year were a lack of width on the left from Sane and a slow, laboured build-up due to the lack of a natural left footer at CB when Laporte was unavailable.

Koulibaly can play LCB at any other club, under any other manager but we need a left footed player there, unless it's an emergency. Pep has said it multiple times, a left footer allows us to play out from the back far quicker with a balanced pairing. We have enough right footed CB's, we only have 1 left footed CB, that's the problem that needs addressing. Ezzy as much as he annoys me is bang on when he says three at the back is a very viable option with two left footed CB's, it would keep Laporte (who I think is better than VVD) in the centre.

Our biggest problems this year were a lack of width on the left from Sane and a slow, laboured build-up due to the lack of a natural left footer at CB when Laporte was unavailable.

Koulibaly can play LCB at any other club, under any other manager but we need a left footed player there, unless it's an emergency. Pep has said it multiple times, a left footer allows us to play out from the back far quicker with a balanced pairing. We have enough right footed CB's, we only have 1 left footed CB, that's the problem that needs addressing. Ezzy as much as he annoys me is bang on when he says three at the back is a very viable option with two left footed CB's, it would keep Laporte (who I think is better than VVD) in the centre.
Yeah he thinks we are getting Bastoni from Inter who would be a good shout, but I'd be surprised to see Inter sell him and him wanting to leave Italy TBH. The only other left footer I'd go for is Pau Torres, but again who knows where he stands on being sold. You have to look at all options.

Yeah he thinks we are getting Bastoni from Inter who would be a good shout, but I'd be surprised to see Inter sell him and him wanting to leave Italy TBH. The only other left footer I'd go for is Pau Torres, but again who knows where he stands on being sold. You have to look at all options.

Inter Milan bough Bastoni from Atalanta in 2017, he went on a two year loan, so this is Bastoni's first season playing for Inter.

Inter have a Left footed CB, Lorenzo Pirola, (turned 18yr old Feb 20th) in their youth system who is very close to breaking in the First team. He has already done pre season with the team, and made the bench in the league and Europe as well.

Pirola is rated just as highly as Bastoni & just signed a 5 year deal a week ago.

Inter are also reported to be Interested in Samuel Umtiti(left footed) & Clement Lenglet (left footed) from Barcelona.

So Inter at least look to be preparing to replace Bastoni, but since he has 3 years left on his deal, we will most likely have to pay £55M + Bonus.

What better way for them to replace Bastoni than with an experienced LCB and their own highly rated LCB academy graduate.

Last edited:
It would be Alaba for me if we could get him as part of a swap deal if he wants to come, if or more likely when Sane leaves. The other alternative would be Ake at Bournemouth, as he could also play LCB, as an inverted LB or even in midfield in an emergency, the fact he's classed as homegrown is a bonus.

It would be Alaba for me if we could get him as part of a swap deal if he wants to come, if or more likely when Sane leaves. The other alternative would be Ake at Bournemouth, as he could also play LCB, as an inverted LB or even in midfield in an emergency, the fact he's classed as homegrown is a bonus.

I like Ake but is he good enough - bit of a question mark for me - Id happily be proven wrong

I like Ake but is he good enough - bit of a question mark for me - Id happily be proven wrong
He's definitely got the ability; he's at the right age, has enough versatility to adapt to our changes in formation and my personal opinion is he would be one of the better suited to playing in a high back line with pace and agility.

That said you just never know, we bought Mendy when everyone thought he was potentially one of the best left backs in the world and due to injuries he's going to struggle to ever recapture the form that made him so formidable at Monaco and even in his first few games with us.

Koulibaly and alaba fix this defense. Koulibaly laporte partner. Alaba left back 1st team and cover for mendy. Sell cancelo and use couto as walkers backup. If ppl still want a laporte backup tah is a cheap transfer that could be a huge gem under pep.

Walker couto
Alaba mendy
Koulibaly stones
Laporte alaba/tah

Cancelo nico angelino and zinchenko sold covers at least half of defensive transfers. We dont need another rb. We didnt need Danilo or cancelo!!! The games they played maffeo or frimpong could of played, so give this young Brazilian lad a go.

Koulibaly and alaba fix this defense. Koulibaly laporte partner. Alaba left back 1st team and cover for mendy. Sell cancelo and use couto as walkers backup. If ppl still want a laporte backup tah is a cheap transfer that could be a huge gem under pep.

Walker couto
Alaba mendy
Koulibaly stones
Laporte alaba/tah

Cancelo nico angelino and zinchenko sold covers at least half of defensive transfers. We dont need another rb. We didnt need Danilo or cancelo!!! The games they played maffeo or frimpong could of played, so give this young Brazilian lad a go.

Koulibaly and Alaba together would not fix the defense they would totally transform it. Changing it from average to one of the worlds best.

I would keep Cancelo though, no chance Couto makes the team yet as he’s so young and fullback is one of the toughest positions to play for Pep. Don’t see Semedo as an upgrade either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.