Kalidou Koulibaly

Depends on your merits for rating a centre half. Way different in modern game than it was even 10 years ago. He fits all the needs of one on current merits, is great with the ball (both feet), is a huge physical presence and wins aerials easily, and can defend largely well. Hence he's at the top of the list.

Horses for courses. Would he be equally effective in our set up and I dont think he would

Talks still ongoing ffs, like they have for the last two months. Wtf is there left to talk about, covid, has De Laurentis produced any movies lately?. Will we still be talking come deadline day and in that time have left it too late to get somebody else in?. Need to accept this is heading nowhere and concentrate on Kounde.

Horses for courses. Would he be equally effective in our set up and I dont think he would
Put it this way, if Pep managed a 100 points having a backline of Otamendi, Stones and Delph, i can't imagine he'd be worse off having Van Dijk in there who's a much more capable player for this kind of system. I will agree however, he definitely would not look as good as he has in Liverpool's backline.

Im not having a go but I dont see the hype Van Dick seems to be lauded with on here.
Yes, he has improved the scousers, but is he really as good as you are making out, not in my eyes

Van Dyke is a good defender but is remarkably over rated by the vast majority of people.

He suits their system to a tee and has a very protective midfield in front of him.

Put him out side and he wouldn't appear anywhere near as good.

1-2 years ago he was at the level of Van Dijk. It was a pleasure to watch him defend but his game is built around speed, and power and he's 29 and reportedly not been great this last season.

At his best he was special. He doesn't have the composure on the ball of a Lucio or Thiago Silva but in terms of raw defending, he was really hard. Over 4 games Koulibaly got the better of Salah one on one. But I have a fear his best years are behind him. Not based on what I have seen but just based on his characteristics and his age.
Cheers Marv.....to me he is one of those that if we do or don't sign not particularly bothered either way as I just trust the club's judgement on players in or out....I think they've done a pretty good job so far!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.