Kalvin Phillips interview in the Sunday papers

Strange decision considering there’s a good chance he will be back at city with the start he’s had at West Ham. They’ve conceded 2 goals while he was on the pitch and he was somewhat at fault for both and starting 2 of his 3 games in the same position he was starting for city

Reactions: CC1
Agree.. I'm all for being empathetic, supportive and sympathetic to anyone who's ever in bother anywhere on this rock we're all hurtling through space-time on.. but sometimes you just have to man/woman up and get on with it..

Oh and by the way, thanks for the opening and closing sentences! The first reminded me I haven't listened to the divine Julie London for a while. The last then reminded me of the old joke about John Wayne's stilted delivery of his one line ("Truly, this man is the Son of Gawd..") at the crucifixion of Christ in his cameo appearance as a Roman centurion in 'The Greatest Story Ever Told'. Director George Stevens tried to drag more emotion asking him "Duke.. give me more.. say it with awe.." to which Wayne said, next take, "Aw.. truly this man is the Son of Gawd.."

Haha, absolutely mint! Has there ever been a more wooden and limited actor than John Wayne in the history of cinema? A man who was paid to do the role of John Wayne, over and over and over?

As for Kalvin, I'm honestly not the least bit offended or annoyed, either as a lifelong City fan, or on behalf of MCFC. Really not.
I could just wish, sometimes, that footballers could be that little bit more savvy — that they could understand that a lot of journos are just a pack of hyenas, simply salivating for anything they can make controversial capital out of, egged on by their editors to get it — and learn to keep their mouths shut. It's just more dignified.
Kalvin, you weren't good enough to play at the best club side in the world. No shame in that, although you found that humiliating. I get it.
We all move on. Hope you do well at West Ham so that they take up a firm option on you.

If that headline ("My City Misery") is true, and I'm sceptical given who the paper is, then I'm disappointed in him. To me, players having a dig at their formers club are displaying a lack of class. Yes even former rags and cultists. It's not a good look.

And no; I haven't read the article, and have no intention of doing so.

Read the actual interview in The Guardian that's linked on the first page of the thread. There's nothing bad in what he says. All the sun has done is spun the words into a few sensational phrases that their readers can understand and be annoyed about.

The last couple of games he's played and the mistakes made show why he wasn't really suitable for us, but the fault of that lies with us. Surely the video analysts would have picked up that his first touch wasn't what we needed and someone could have asked Bielsa?

From previous interviews with him, he seems down to earth and very much influenced by his family. From something I know, he's a thoughtful, kind lad and I wish him the best at West Ham. He wasn't right for us and the requirements Pep puts on players, especially midfielders, but that doesn't make him a bad player or deserving of some of the personal abuse he's had on here at times.

The Guardian piece is not as bad as The Sun headline screams but this is still Kalvin crying to the papers. It's a shame that it didn't work out but this is on him. He should have turned up on time and at the right weight after the World Cup. Even then he could have cleared the air but he didn't. That's on him. I felt for him when he wasn't getting game time from Pep. Overall though, he doesn't possess the technical ability to take the ball in tight space and move it on like Rodri does. I'm sure he's a lovely lad but he should stop feeling sorry for himself, own his mistakes and get on with his career. All the best to him except against City.

Last edited:
Reactions: CC1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.