Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically you don’t think we need a squad of quality players and should just pad it out with academy players after the best IX or so?

Maybe you didn’t see the last couple of games and the issues we had but you absolutely do need a squad of top quality players in order to compete for several trophies.

I don’t think you could possibly be more wrong.
That's not what I am saying at all. I am saying that ideally you have a bunch of experienced players who can consistently rotate as needed, with academy players backing them up for the odd 10 mins here, 20 mins there, or the odd game.

Personally, I don't see Phillips as rotation material with Rodri. I think we will see Rodri flogged for the majority of games (as he was this season) and then we will see his £40m+ backup come in for the odd game and the drop off in quality be huge. Firstly, because Phillips is not in the same league as Rodri (not many are) and secondly because in fairness to Phillips, he won't have played enough to be up to speed. Example - I don't think that Fern was a bad as some of his performances made him look last season, but when you aren't playing regular football, it is difficult to come in and be at the required level in this side. As someone else pointed out, you are expected to come in and drop a 7/10 performance, even if you haven't played for a month.

Others may think that Phillips will get similar game time to Rodri. If that happens, my argument goes up in smoke and I will be more than happy to come on here and hold my hands up.

Why are you so arsed and why are you ranting about it? If Guardiola wants Phillips, he can have him. And just because you don't think he'll play regularly that doesn't automatically make it true, unless of course your Pep, in which case you should get back to the golf course and call Txiki to moan at him.
Pep will turn him into a "Regista".

That's not what I am saying at all. I am saying that ideally you have a bunch of experienced players who can consistently rotate as needed, with academy players backing them up for the odd 10 mins here, 20 mins there, or the odd game.

Personally, I don't see Phillips as rotation material with Rodri. I think we will see Rodri flogged for the majority of games (as he was this season) and then we will see his £40m+ backup come in for the odd game and the drop off in quality be huge. Firstly, because Phillips is not in the same league as Rodri (not many are) and secondly because in fairness to Phillips, he won't have played enough to be up to speed. Example - I don't think that Fern was a bad as some of his performances made him look last season, but when you aren't playing regular football, it is difficult to come in and be at the required level in this side. As someone else pointed out, you are expected to come in and drop a 7/10 performance, even if you haven't played for a month.

Others may think that Phillips will get similar game time to Rodri. If that happens, my argument goes up in smoke and I will be more than happy to come on here and hold my hands up.

Maybe you’re right and the everyone running Manchester City - one of the most successful clubs in the world - are wrong? Sounds like we’ve been on completely the wrong path this decade. Oh well.

There don’t seem to be any players at the academy to fill the position. Did you have anybody in particular in mind?
Its difficult because we don't really give our youngsters any minutes at all. Lavia was on the bench a number of times last season and we didn't get to see whether he was any good or not, which is probably why we end up spending £40m on backups.

I fully expect that in the short-term Phillips is a better option than any of our potential academy players for that position. What we won't know, is whether or not it has a negative impact on the long-term for these academy players. Some will argue that if for example Lavia is good enough, having Phillips there won't stand in his way. I don't see how it doesn't.

For what it’s worth, we watched Lavia quite a few times last season and I’d have no qualms with him getting minutes at some point, or a loan to the championship. Finds time and space, does the easy things well and like all those kids has great technical ability.

Are the women's team looking for water carriers too?
water-carrier-238_42727.jpg
Nice jugs :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.