Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit Harsh, you're looking for players that can drop into one of the most technical and possession based sides in the world right now, at a games notice and perform without the team losing a step. They need to be able to drop a 6 or 7/10 no questions asked.

A youth product would be great but they don't have the experience with the gap between PL2 and PL (our level) being what it is.
Couldn't agree more. Why Is Kalvin Phillips more qualified to do it, than an academy player who has been playing the same technical, possession based football in our youth sides and has spent considerable time training every day with our 1st team?

How is he meant to achieve this? He will be on the bench for 80%+ of the games we play. The only way he gets any sustained time in the team is through an unthinkable Rodri injury.

Look at Ake, the very same arguments were made for us signing him. For the 1st season, he was dump. Last season he was far better but still backup. It has led to transfer speculation around him being too good to play just a dozen PL games a season and him wanting more game time. He either stays and has a repeat of last season or he leaves. He will not be replacing any of the 3 CBs currently in front of him (unless they get injured).

How will the Phillips situation play out any differently? If he has a 1st season like Ake, the £50m price looks absolutely ridiculous. If he plays well in his limited opportunities, he will be then linked with more game time elsewhere.

We have to bring players in who have the capability to become 1st choice in the position they play, whether that be straight away or in a couple of years. You don't pay £40m+ for players who will never be anything more than a backup. If Phillips was out of contract, or available for a pittance, by all means bring him in, but £40m+ for someone to give Rodri a rest? Nah, use the academy for that.
I don't agree. I think Ake was exceptional when he played towards the back end of the season and I'd like to see him and Dias paired as Laporte looked shakey.

Not sure how that translates to Philips but I'm not seeing a wealth of quality midfielders either.

How is he meant to achieve this? He will be on the bench for 80%+ of the games we play. The only way he gets any sustained time in the team is through an unthinkable Rodri injury.

Look at Ake, the very same arguments were made for us signing him. For the 1st season, he was dump. Last season he was far better but still backup. It has led to transfer speculation around him being too good to play just a dozen PL games a season and him wanting more game time. He either stays and has a repeat of last season or he leaves. He will not be replacing any of the 3 CBs currently in front of him (unless they get injured).

How will the Phillips situation play out any differently? If he has a 1st season like Ake, the £50m price looks absolutely ridiculous. If he plays well in his limited opportunities, he will be then linked with more game time elsewhere.

We have to bring players in who have the capability to become 1st choice in the position they play, whether that be straight away or in a couple of years. You don't pay £40m+ for players who will never be anything more than a backup. If Phillips was out of contract, or available for a pittance, by all means bring him in, but £40m+ for someone to give Rodri a rest? Nah, use the academy for that.

So basically you don’t think we need a squad of quality players and should just pad it out with academy players after the best IX or so?

Maybe you didn’t see the last couple of games and the issues we had but you absolutely do need a squad of top quality players in order to compete for several trophies.

I don’t think you could possibly be more wrong.

Couldn't agree more. Why Is Kalvin Phillips more qualified to do it, than an academy player who has been playing the same technical, possession based football in our youth sides and has spent considerable time training every day with our 1st team?
Experience. Full international with over 200 games in his locker. The quality just from PL2 level and first team level is just too big a gap (Palmer & Foden can be integrated high up the pitch and protected wide). A loan 6 in this side, not so much.

Lavia could prob do it in a season or two, its just a timing thing with Dinho's age etc needed to lineup perfectly and its just out of sync, hopefully he gets a shot at being 3rd string or a very decent loan and playing time.

OMG, I'm not sure what football you lot watch or whether you are youngsters playing FIFA. Kalvin Phillips is perhaps the most 1 dimensional centre midfielder I've seen since Nigel DeJong. Yes he could wear a number 8 shirt and run up and down the pitch but so could my wife. What he certainly couldn't do is what KDB or Gundogan does and that's pass accurately and create whilst running and score goals. He is nothing more than a stopper, disrupter, slower downer and sideways passer and if your eyes are seeing anything else then get them bloody tested before doing anything that might kill you because they are not working!
User name checks out.

Why are you so arsed and why are you ranting about it? If Guardiola wants Phillips, he can have him. And just because you don't think he'll play regularly that doesn't automatically make it true, unless of course your Pep, in which case you should get back to the golf course and call Txiki to moan at him.
Where is the rant? Its an opinion. Something you, of all people on here, should be very familiar with.

Of course Pep will get him if he wants him, as he should. It doesn't mean others aren't an allowed an opinion on it, or maybe it does.

There don’t seem to be any players at the academy to fill the position. Did you have anybody in particular in mind?

Pep was a former CDM himself so if anyone can get the absolute maximum out of KP, it's Pep. I think we'll be very surprised at how good he ends up in a few years under Peps guidance + a very good team surrounding him.
Alan Ball was a right winger…

Where is the rant? Its an opinion. Something you, of all people on here, should be very familiar with.

Of course Pep will get him if he wants him, as he should. It doesn't mean others aren't an allowed an opinion on it, or maybe it does.

An opinion, sure. But the tone seems quite angry. But it might just be lost in translation. I think our recruitment has been excellent the last few years but people on here seem overly critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.