Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he'll be absolutely brilliant for us and fans (the ones who don't want him) will warm to him almost straight away purely because of his quality and how he plays.

Fantastic signing IMO (if it happens).

preview

Pep was a former CDM himself so if anyone can get the absolute maximum out of KP, it's Pep. I think we'll be very surprised at how good he ends up in a few years under Peps guidance + a very good team surrounding him.

It feels like really unimaginative recruitment to me. There's no way we couldn't find someone better than Phillips, especially if we're willing to spend around 50m which makes me think it has something to do with the homegrown quota and we're banking on Pep's coaching to cover for any deficiencies in his game.
Unimaginative perhaps but sometimes you just need to go with a known quantity. I am not particuarly impressed by anyone else out there. Can we afford to take a 25/30m punt on someone who has never played in the premier league.

Phillips knows the role, league, language and will have no issues settling in.

Ake did well when he came in last season, but I don’t think anyone seriously thinks he will ever be one of our starting CBs. I feel Phillips will be another like this. I’m not sure you pay a combined £90m for ‘can come in and do a job’.
Bit Harsh, you're looking for players that can drop into one of the most technical and possession based sides in the world right now, at a games notice and perform without the team losing a step. They need to be able to drop a 6 or 7/10 no questions asked.

A youth product would be great but they don't have the experience with the gap between PL2 and PL (our level) being what it is.

Pep was a former CDM himself so if anyone can get the absolute maximum out of KP, it's Pep. I think we'll be very surprised at how good he ends up in a few years under Peps guidance + a very good team surrounding him.
How is he meant to achieve this? He will be on the bench for 80%+ of the games we play. The only way he gets any sustained time in the team is through an unthinkable Rodri injury.

Look at Ake, the very same arguments were made for us signing him. For the 1st season, he was dump. Last season he was far better but still backup. It has led to transfer speculation around him being too good to play just a dozen PL games a season and him wanting more game time. He either stays and has a repeat of last season or he leaves. He will not be replacing any of the 3 CBs currently in front of him (unless they get injured).

How will the Phillips situation play out any differently? If he has a 1st season like Ake, the £50m price looks absolutely ridiculous. If he plays well in his limited opportunities, he will be then linked with more game time elsewhere.

We have to bring players in who have the capability to become 1st choice in the position they play, whether that be straight away or in a couple of years. You don't pay £40m+ for players who will never be anything more than a backup. If Phillips was out of contract, or available for a pittance, by all means bring him in, but £40m+ for someone to give Rodri a rest? Nah, use the academy for that.

How is he meant to achieve this? He will be on the bench for 80%+ of the games we play. The only way he gets any sustained time in the team is through an unthinkable Rodri injury.

Look at Ake, the very same arguments were made for us signing him. For the 1st season, he was dump. Last season he was far better but still backup. It has led to transfer speculation around him being too good to play just a dozen PL games a season and him wanting more game time. He either stays and has a repeat of last season or he leaves. He will not be replacing any of the 3 CBs currently in front of him (unless they get injured).

How will the Phillips situation play out any differently? If he has a 1st season like Ake, the £50m price looks absolutely ridiculous. If he plays well in his limited opportunities, he will be then linked with more game time elsewhere.

We have to bring players in who have the capability to become 1st choice in the position they play, whether that be straight away or in a couple of years. You don't pay £40m+ for players who will never be anything more than a backup. If Phillips was out of contract, or available for a pittance, by all means bring him in, but £40m+ for someone to give Rodri a rest? Nah, use the academy for that.

Why are you so arsed and why are you ranting about it? If Guardiola wants Phillips, he can have him. And just because you don't think he'll play regularly that doesn't automatically make it true, unless of course your Pep, in which case you should get back to the golf course and call Txiki to moan at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.