Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cantona? Alan Smith?

Lets hope they spunk another £80m + £450k a week in wages on a player we’re ‘rumoured’ to be after.
Cantona wasn’t a Leeds lad so it didn’t matter but smith is hated to this day and has never been forgiven.

Sign him up. my assessment of him from earlier:

Hes definitely the most similar "metronome" with cross-passing to Ferna, its very hard to find that long-passing/switch of play (often progressive, gaining ground/meters) and physicality from deep that can get around the pitch decently in a combination.

We usually see the twinkle toes like Parejo in Spain or Old-School Scholes that have that type of passing attribute. Bissouma is far from this. Its very unusual to have both.. Kimmich for Bayern and Brozovic for Inter does not have this to that level for instance. Neither does Frenkie and forget about Ndidi in that aspect.
And Rice is an old school CB in this aspect, often preferring to transport the ball for a while before changing sides so to doing the pass easier but by that also losing time for his team-mate/giving his team-mate less time.

(Rice is not a DM.. Hes a b2b player. Better to buy Phillips in that case. And I don't want to restrict Rices marauding runs really. Play him as an 8 then..
Hes nowhere near has the deep distribution (+and range of) of Rodri and Kalvin.
+He plays in a transition team (counterattacking) where ball-transportation to get up the pitch and relieve pressure plays a big/huge part. (I see similarities with Grealish in that aspect actually.)

Maybe after Pep in that case and switching of systems etc.
For instance Rice would fit absolutely perfectly in a Conte 3-4-3, and not many CMs can do that role both offensively and defensive as well as I think Rice would do, Marina seems to have decided that hes not going back.. so maybe United is the most likely then. I am not sure I want to see him as a pure Pivot.)

I think he is much better from deep and him and Rice should change roles a bit in the national side with Rice charging forward with the ball at times (his signature driving runs with the ball) and doing the higher pressing in spurts and Kalvin covering a bit and creating the triangles for the CBs that he does much better. I'm not sure why the roles got reversed really. (probably some kind of chronological hierarchy)
Rice doesnt really do this at WH (neither does WH as a team) while Kalvin does this all day long for Leeds.

Could fit in as a 8, B2B, as well at times of course like he did for the national side. I love Rodri though lol.

It could be decided tonight though, If Burnley wins it sets them up to stay up and Philips wont come without Leeds going down I think, too costly for a rotation player then as well, like 50m, and I think he wants to stay as well then an wont feel "forced" to leave to keep his England, WC place, form, level etc. I dont believe he will ever go to ManU.

His injury proneness is starting to worry a bit though..

Last edited:
Not nearly good enough to play regularly for us. We could do a lot better.

The point is - do we want a regular player or a rotation option?

From my point of view, Philips will not demand large portion of playing time given his injury history and he has less worry about his England place. He will be happy to be a rotation option - back up for Rodri and occasionally play double pivot pairing with Rodri/Bernado. A signing like Ake - improve our bench depth and also a very good lad for the squad. Philips is famous for his kindness and leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.