Keir Starmer

Not bad.

Light on detail and swerved our relationship with Europe, but for a poor orator I thought he did well.

This might well be his last conference speech before the election, so he was speaking more to the country than to the hall.

He may not be my cup of tea, but I could imagine a lot of floating voters liking it and that's who he was appealing to.

Against my better judgement I'm hoping he proves me wrong, and he really can pull us out of the shitter.

Last edited:
What a strange take.

Regardless of how much money is actually recovered politicians need to know that they can’t misappropriate large sums of taxpayers money without scrutiny.

Or would you just let them have it away with whatever they fancy?

Frankly I’d be astonished at any government following one as profligate as the current one not investigating where all the cash went. It would be irresponsible.
So change the law through parliament, meanwhile the CPS should be persuing any fraud already commited and tbf already widely reported on.

Anouncing the setting up of a commision to investigate something wjich any new one will then have to pass on the findings to the police who will then ask to prosecute is time wasting, gonna be full of legal challenges.
A typical political gimmick in my opinion and will drag on for years

Mate, you need to get out and about. I’ll back up the statement with friends from Europe, the US and Australia. Even though limited contact these days, due to me being somewhat obtuse, the contact we have is all about how we have fucked up.

I’m sure you’re worldly wise but if you’re hearing different then I’d be happy to hear it?

So change the law through parliament, meanwhile the CPS should be persuing any fraud already commited and tbf already widely reported on.

Anouncing the setting up of a commision to investigate something wjich any new one will then have to pass on the findings to the police who will then ask to prosecute is time wasting, gonna be full of legal challenges.
A typical political gimmick in my opinion and will drag on for years

The police or CPS aren’t going to move against the incumbent government and neither are they going to act at a later date without being shoved. This is a can of worms that so many don’t want opened but opened it should be.

Is it a political move? Of course. But that doesn’t make it the wrong thing to do.

The country needs someone grey to remind us all that politics is serious, not entertainment.

Agree with this entirely.

Charisma is overrated in politics. It doesn’t actually help anybody get anything done when it comes to executing policy. If anything it can sometimes be a cover for inadequacy.

A dose of dull competence after the current soap opera regime is absolutely fine with me. If politics isn’t boring then it’s usually because something’s gone wrong.

Charisma is overrated in politics. It doesn’t actually help anybody get anything done when it comes to executing policy. If anything it can sometimes be a cover for inadequacy.

A dose of dull competence after the current soap opera regime is absolutely fine with me. If politics isn’t boring then it’s usually because something’s gone wrong.
Absolutely. It kills populism too.

Charisma will be needed down the line, but now we need to take stock, regroup and determine which path to recovery we take and how.

That plus politicians being banned from fronting any news programme on TV.

Clement Attlee is considered one of the finest Prime Ministers this country has ever had, but he was as dull as dishwater.

I’d sooner listen to someone who isn’t pumping the air or pontificating by shouting and promising the earth and have someone who speaks calmly and reasonably.
Someone who sounds as if he cares about the country and its people rather than lining the pockets of his rich friends and sycophants.
I’m not sure if you are saying it was good or bad but for me I quite enjoyed it and his promises really did hit the spot.

Glad to see somebody acting statesman like and tell it how it really is. Will be glad when he’s in the chair and all this madness is in the past.

Lots of work to do, mind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.