Keir Starmer

Starmer is on the ropes tonight,

In a Commons vote, MPs voted 293 to 125 to support an SNP motion calling for "all parties to agree to an immediate ceasefire" in Gaza. Many Labour MPs including 3 front benchers voted for the motion, despite him disgracefully ordering them to abstain.Nearly 70 Labour MPs have defied their leader to call for a ceasefire now, and nearly 50 councillors have resigned from the party over the leadership's position on the war.

I really do not get what he is trying to do.

I also don’t really get why he took such a strong stance on this rather than just allowing a free vote, it’s not like it would have ever had any impact given the Tories just voted it down.

That said, one thing I’ve noticed is all the resigning MP’s letters have struck a very conciliatory tone. Stating they have a difference of opinion but nothing more, Afzal Khan even stated he had conversed with Starmer on it and understood his position. Not a single one has said anything negative on Starmer or the direction of the party. It’s hardly like the party is eating itself alive.

Meanwhile Labour’s lead in polling increased by 6% again in another poll released tonight.

Realistically Starmer is not in any trouble.

I also don’t really get why he took such a strong stance on this rather than just allowing a free vote, it’s not like it would have ever had any impact given the Tories just voted it down.

That said, one thing I’ve noticed is all the resigning MP’s letters have struck a very conciliatory tone. Stating they have a difference of opinion but nothing more, Afzal Khan even stated he had conversed with Starmer on it and understood his position. Not a single one has said anything negative on Starmer or the direction of the party. It’s hardly like the party is eating itself alive.

Meanwhile Labour’s lead in polling increased by 6% again in another poll released tonight.

Realistically Starmer is not in any trouble.
yes, he doesn't even have to win an election - which is lucky for him

Starmer is on the ropes tonight,

In a Commons vote, MPs voted 293 to 125 to support an SNP motion calling for "all parties to agree to an immediate ceasefire" in Gaza. Many Labour MPs including 3 front benchers voted for the motion, despite him disgracefully ordering them to abstain.Nearly 70 Labour MPs have defied their leader to call for a ceasefire now, and nearly 50 councillors have resigned from the party over the leadership's position on the war.

I really do not get what he is trying to do.
He’s clueless, sadly. He’s got the Tories and Sunk exactly where he wants them and he can’t read his own MP’s, so what hope for the country?
He could have just said it was a free vote and allowed his members to vote with their conscience, end of psycho drama.
I can only think he’s either terrified of winning and then actually having to make decisions or he’s massively invested in another Tory government for some reason!!

He’s clueless, sadly. He’s got the Tories and Sunk exactly where he wants them and he can’t read his own MP’s, so what hope for the country?
He could have just said it was a free vote and allowed his members to vote with their conscience, end of psycho drama.
I can only think he’s either terrified of winning and then actually having to make decisions or he’s massively invested in another Tory government for some reason!!

I think it's as much the Labour electorate he's misread as it is his MPs. Sounds like Phillips realised she was under real pressure from her constituents going into this vote. Could more to do with self preservation than her conscience. But she has at least represented her constituents in taking that decision.

I think it's as much the Labour electorate he's misread as it is his MPs. Sounds like Phillips realised she was under real pressure from her constituents going into this vote. Could more to do with self preservation than her conscience. But she has at least represented her constituents in taking that decision.
What’s even odder is that they were told to abstain, which doesn’t sound much like leadership.

It means there can’t be a backlash as once they take a side, they can be criticised either way. It’s bland, but keeps their slate clean.

MPs should always vote how their constituents want where possible.
Hence he should have allowed his MP’s a free vote.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.